Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index

Brett Garsed Discussion
The Official Brett Garsed Discussion Forum

www.BrettGarsed.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yamaha UD Stomp question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index -> Brett Garsed Tone and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ebbflow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Yamaha UD Stomp question Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Great forum, I've been checking it out for a while but this is my first post. I'm a huge fan of Brett's playing, tone and songwriting! Anyone here using the UD Stomp? I see it on Brett's pedal board, very cool. I've had one for a while but have finally decided to take some time and get to know this powerful unit. Does anyone have any tips or patches to share?

Thanks in Advance!
bretto212

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mainly use it for the ambient delay sounds. (my Holdsworth influences) Until I'd found the UD Stomp I always had to rely on rack mount units to do this whereas now I can just travel with my pedal board and still get all the sounds I need no matter what amp I plug into.
I really need to sit down with the UD Stomp and get into all the other amazing things it'll do. Great unit!
mquin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have a UD stomp aswell, its a very powerful unit that easily replaces a rack based delay unit. I actualy had a chance to sit down with it on the weekend just gone and really programmed in some great sounds. I have created six presets they are:

- Basic chorus (trying to sim my old boss ce-2)
- Standard delay with a bit of hi-cut for a warmer sound (also use an expression pedal to fade some chorus in aswell).
- Univibe (with speed controlled by exp pedal).
- Dotted eigth delay (there is already a preset in there for this, I think its in the 700's block, this simulates the U2 style delay)
- A swell patch, a tweaked version of patch 221 (exp pedal used)
- Slapback reverb (for that 50's/shadows sound).

Also with the level switch (near the input) how do you guys have it, 'in' or 'out'

thanks Matt
jazzism

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also try the UD stomp user group that a buddy of mine set up at yahoo user groups.
Ive just finished a project where i utilised the UD extensively, i could supply some clips if someone was willing to host them for me.
Its a great unit, i was never a fan of chorus before i got this unit, i always thought it made my sound too muddy, but this is real transparent.

The next thing i want to do is get it to talk to some other units via midi so if i change patches the Ud stomp will change also.Its a powerful and deep unit
cheers
Ebbflow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks for the replies! Brett's right, it seems strange not to haul the rack rig around. I keep thinking I should bring the rack but it's really not needed Smile I've sold most of the rig but a part of me won't let me sell it all!

I'll definitely check out the Yahoo forum. Matt, Univibe setting, that's just what I need, feel free to send it my way! Oh I generally have the input set on low (not sure if that's IN or OUT off hand) and have the output turned up a bit more. For volume swells and such there is nothing better. That thing is awesome!
mquin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have had a few PM's asking me about my presets, I am away at the moment but this weekend coming I will write them down and add them to this thread, sory for those that have been waiting.

thanks Matt
mquin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI everyone,

Sorry about the lateness, here is the univibe-ish patch I try to simulate:

choose 1 band.
Speed = 6.3
Depth = 10
Pan = L10
Level = 10
Wave = Sin
Course Time = 0.40
Fine Time = 0
Low cut = off
High cut = off (you can experiment here to get a more vintage sound)
Feedback = 3.2 (Again experiment here to get a slight phasey sound)
Effect Level = 9
Direct Level = 10

I also use an expression pedal to control the speed. My aim for this preset was to simulate a sound that Mike Landau uses quite alot, so in reality it may not sound exactly like a univibe in a way its half way between a univibe and chorus vibrato (rotary).

If anyone had any further questions dont hesitate to ask
jazzism

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a tune that i wrote for a world music project my wife did last year (Feb 2005) sort of dedicated to our son who was coming up to his 1st birthday then. it doesnt showcase any of the more extreme features of the UD but i was happy how the solo tone turned out considering i went straight out of the UD and into the desk, i used one of the enhanced stereo lead patches that AH wrote for the unit
well FWIW

http://www.fusionweb.dk/music/Lifeforce.mp3
JJW

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tone on your clip sounded great(for that style)playing was just as good too
sieuminh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jazzism, that's a great clip!

The music as a whole, and your solo in particular, reminds me of Nguyen Le, the French/ Vietnamese player. Your tone is somewhat similar to his tone too.
jazzism

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you recommend some of his work, ive actually never heard this guy,although im aware that he has released a hendrix tribute (purple) and recall reading about a trio album that was considered really good (bakida?)
thanx for your thoughts
cheers
sieuminh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like you and him think very similarly then - some of your note choice and phrasing in particular. I'm jealous Twisted Evil

Anyway, I made a seperate thread about Nguyen Le in the Open Discussion - don't want to spam this topic Very Happy
peat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys

i was asking brett about the ud stomp last week

i was just wondering
with an expression pedal attached

you can control the delay by pushing the exp pedal down
i.e. to get delay only on certain notes

my question is
when you pull the pedal back up
will the delayed signal be left to ring out
or will it stop when you pull the pedal back

or can you choose between the two?

thanks
bretto212

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The expression pedal can control both. I've assigned it to the input which means when the pedal is off, not signal from the guitar goes to the delay. When I use the pedal it triggers the delays and they decay naturally so I can play over the top of them almost like a keyboard pad. You can pretty much assign the controller to anything. It's a fantastic pedal and once again, it's due to the genius of Allan Holdsworth!
peat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
thanks for your reply brett

i asked you about this last week in canberra
i just wasnt sure how the exp pedal would be inserted in the signal path

but i understand it would be different placed before or after the delay

i love the sound it creates
especially when you do it Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index -> Brett Garsed Tone and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: