Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index

Brett Garsed Discussion
The Official Brett Garsed Discussion Forum

www.BrettGarsed.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hughes and Kettner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index -> Brett Garsed Tone and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris_johnstone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Hughes and Kettner Reply with quote

Hey Brett,

just a question about that new Statesman amp you seem to be using. Is it just the combo you are playing?

And are you using the amp gain or still the tubezone?

Any mp3's?

cheers

Chris
bretto212

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the Quad EL 84 which is a 1x12 combo and is the only one in OZ at the moment. I think it sounds fantastic but I also can't wait to try out the 2x12 version. I think this is a great direction for Hughes & Kettner as they're pretty much pure tube amps with reverb.
I'm only using the amp sustain so I don't have to use the Tube Zone. No quality clips as yet.
chris_johnstone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a great amp, and yes, I thought you would just be using the amp gain.

Thanks Brett

Chris
MartinC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bretto212 wrote:
I'm using the Quad EL 84 which is a 1x12 combo and is the only one in OZ at the moment. I think it sounds fantastic but I also can't wait to try out the 2x12 version. I think this is a great direction for Hughes & Kettner as they're pretty much pure tube amps with reverb.
I'm only using the amp sustain so I don't have to use the Tube Zone. No quality clips as yet.

Hi Brett,

I've just bought a Quad myself. Love the tone.

A question for you though, which you might be able to answer. Does the Statesman Quad have a solid state driver for its gain? There's nothing mentioned in the H&K website about that, and in fact the website says that the amp is all tube. But it has been mentioned on The Gear Page that the gain on the amp is solid state driven ... there are 2 preamp tubes only which, apparently (not my claim) is not enough to produce such high gain as can be had on the dirty channel and drive a spring reverb. I've emailed H&K but I haven't had a response. I thought you might know as I believe you've demo'd the amp in Sydney a while ago and at NAMM.

Either way, it's a nice amp. I'm just curious.

Thanks
chris_johnstone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While were on the topic, if anyone is looking for a little practice amp which rocks check out their Edition Blue Series.

I bought the 15 watt as a portable amp for teaching. (it weighs about as much as a laptop) The built in amp distortion is really good and I haven't found an amp at that price range which is as good. (I paid $225)
I then ran all my pedals through it ( I use the TC electronics Vintage Distortion for my gain) and it blew me away!

I loved it so much I went out and got the 60 watt version today for a portable gigging amp too.

Ok, they aren't valve, but for the price you can't knock these little beauties.

cheers

Chris
bretto212

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Statesman amps. I'm not sure about the driver for the distortion but I don't use the boost switch on the amp at all as there's more than enough gain in the regular stage for me plus I don't like the tone when the boost is activated. That's just a personal preference however.
I'm hoping that H&K will be open to me giving them my opinion on the amps in regards to future models and mods. The combo is great and I used the 50 watt head/4x12 cab in LA recently and it sounded really good.
MartinC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brett.

I did actually email Thomas Blug with the same question. I believe Thomas was demo'ing the Statesman amps at NAMM recently too.

Thomas told me that there is a solid state driver in the amp to produce some of the gain. I don't know the details, but the design approach was to create an amp using the classic set up of tube amp with a decent solid state driver in front of it as the model ... like Hendrix or Gilmour's approach.

Whatever they've done, it brings a grin to my face when I plug in ...
bretto212

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that explains it. I still prefer to run the amp harder without the boost but I'm sure some interesting tones could be achieved by backing off the amp gain and employing the boost. I'll be doing quite a few live gigs during May here in Melbourne so I'll have a good chance to check out the subtleties of it all.
Glad you're happy with the amp, it's a quality piece of gear!
Sgt. Baker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity: Have you ceased to use the Flexi at this point?
On your site the Flexi is still listed as your main amp.
bretto212

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use the Flexi and Bivalve a lot for recording. It's just that they don't have parallel fx loops so I couldn't use them live unless I took another amp along for the effects. I'm sure THD are such tone purists that this is what they intended and it's the best way to do it but I just can't lug all the extra gear around. The H&K has a great loop that can switch to either so it's much more convenient.
The HOT PLATE by THD is probably the most amazing thing I've owned in a long time!
Sgt. Baker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know that you use many fx when playing live.

However, I like your tone very much on tjhelmerich@earthlink.net (the second track on the first uncle moe's album). There is a solo in there that starts at 5:00 that has a very hendrixy vibe to it. How did you achieve that sound?
Is that your tele and a univibe?

I like your guitar sound on the entire album very much. (I started listening to this album some days ago after a long time of not having listened to it. I like it better and better.)
bretto212

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my Strat and the Bogner with a Voodoo Labs "Micro Vibe" pedal. That's a really great pedal actually. It belonged to TJ although I did try to steal it!
Sgt. Baker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bretto212 wrote:
That was my Strat and the Bogner with a Voodoo Labs "Micro Vibe" pedal. That's a really great pedal actually. It belonged to TJ although I did try to steal it!

hahaha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index -> Brett Garsed Tone and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: