Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index

Brett Garsed Discussion
The Official Brett Garsed Discussion Forum

www.BrettGarsed.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Howdy from Nebraska

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fo7

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Howdy from Nebraska Reply with quote

I heard about Brett on Frank Marino's message board a while back and recently checked into his playing. OMG.... Very Happy . I was floored. I have to admit I waited so long because I heave heard so many times about "awesome shredders" who just frankly bore me to tears. But Brett's playing is anything but boring! Lots of good taste with enormous technical facility.

So about me. I am a 39 year old guitar dweeb who teaches math to pay my bills. I live in Nebraska, where there are more cattle than people, and where until recently they had both kinds of music: country and western.
Big Kev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Fo7! Always a pleasure to welcome a new BG fan. Another Frank Marino fan too huh?

Kev
Fo7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yes, I have to say Frank has been pretty influential, plus he's a really cool dude and puts up with all of us freaks at his board. He has way more ability and range than most give him any credit for.
Big Kev

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been a Marino fan since the early '80s, with What's Next and Juggernaut being standouts for me. Very hard to get his stuff here in Australia, and I'm still hunting for an original (non-pirated) copy of Juggernaut. I also have a soft spot for Tales of the Unexpected.

Kev
Fo7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, some of the earlier stuff is out of print and rather hard to get ahold of. But if you go to his site he has an mp3 player on the front page with nondownloadable copies of everything he has done other than his latest disc RealLive. In any event, somebody on his board can help I am sure. I have it on tape....remember tape?

I like the first side of Tales. The 2nd side has great playing for sure, but it just kind of leaves me cold. Dunno why. The 1978 Live album is the one that rocked my world. I was 12 in 1978 and had just really discovered Jimi. I was looking through my brothers albums and saw that Frank covered Purple Haze so I put it on and...wow. Instant fan. Juggernaut has some of the best songs Frank has written, I think. His latest two though, I have to say, are my favorites. Eye of the Storm is just a great disc from start to finish and RealLive is awesome.

I am going to see him play in Chicago in three weeks. I am pretty stoked; it's been since 1983 since I have seen him.
Big Kev

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have Juggernauton tape too, and it appears to be available on CD from Germany (which is where I got my CD copy of What's Next from), but when you factor in shipping it gets pretty expensive.

I agree about Tales too, but I must say Eye of the Storm leaves me cold. I just don't feel the songs are as good, although I'll have to give it another listen to refresh my memory. As for seeing him live, I doubt he's ever been south of the equator, let alone down here to Oz.

Kev
JJW

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi:)
Mick520

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: