Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index

Brett Garsed Discussion
The Official Brett Garsed Discussion Forum

www.BrettGarsed.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LEGATO TECHNIQUE
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fanio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about Kotzen,I just wonder how he can play all those notes without picking at all!For me and my left hand is too much work that way!But it's my own opinion.Everyone is physically different from the other so let's find our personal way of playing!
chris_johnstone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Kotzen and Greg Howe use the 'hammer on from nowhere' technique too. (I think EVH was one of the first to do this)
Shane Lane uses this approach too with arpeggios, pick the first note and hammer the second two. Oh, and don't forget Satch's impossible bit in the Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing too!
The most important thing, like has already been said here is to develop your own thing.
I don't think there is anything wrong with studying phrases either, as long as it is a point of departure. I enjoy playing through Bretts lines every month, it gives me about 100 ideas of things to try. Especially Brett who always has a unique way of doing things, like last months diminshed ideas.
Can't wait to see these plus more clips on the site Kev!

Chris
fanio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if these guys play all that music with a simple acoustic guitar!It's not a critic,it's just my curiosity,because i'd like to play the same way that I play with electric on a normal guitar,but I can't reach that level.Probably I'm too frustrated about it Laughing
JJW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you hammer on LOUD that way you shouldnt hear a lot of unwanted string noise.The softer you play with high gain settings and a loud amp the more you realy have to hit those notes to get them ringing.Greg howe is cool at that and has some realy cool licks at his disposal,and Richie Kotzen too
They still use the pick a hell of a lot-as most players do
fanio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't reach the same volume of the picked notes when I hammer-pull.So I consider this technique good only for my electric-distorted playing.I think that for acoustic legato playing the strings action is too relevant.So when i'm with friends and play a guitar with high action,I tend to play more picked notes,?cause for me in tha t case legato doesn't work.It's my own opinion,I don't think it's a rule,but it's a big problem for me and I need answers! Shocked
n_mountain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about Legato here's a question for Brett.

I once had a chance to see your Video and, if I'm not mistaken, there you said, that you don't really 'pull off' but hammer on while quiclky raising the finger that held the last note.
Is that right?

Watching you play it sure looks like. cause I guess this way your hand would be more relaxed (I always feel the pull offs are the ones where you need more force.)

Well now to the actual question Smile
If all of the above is true, then did this approach come naturally or consciously?
Thanks

Stephan
fanio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan made an interesting question.I have a question related:can we common people do the hammerin'on thing on every guitar or we need a proper setup to play that way.Thanks Brett! Razz
Melodic Dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n_mountain wrote:
Talking about Legato here's a question for Brett.

I once had a chance to see your Video and, if I'm not mistaken, there you said, that you don't really 'pull off' but hammer on while quiclky raising the finger that held the last note.
Is that right?

Watching you play it sure looks like. cause I guess this way your hand would be more relaxed (I always feel the pull offs are the ones where you need more force.)

Well now to the actual question Smile
If all of the above is true, then did this approach come naturally or consciously?
Thanks

Stephan

That is actually the way I do it too. I read a Holdsworth interview where he talked about doing this istead of pulling off. After hearing Allan talk about it, I had to try it. In the long run I think it has a smoother sound.
n_mountain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Right Melodic Dreamer,

I also read that Allan does it.
So, you worked on it?
Right from the beginning or were you a pull-off guy before??

I'm just curious.
I use pull-offs and I'm definitely faster that way at the moment (I know speed is not everything, I'm talking about being really slow the other way Smile). But the few times I tried to 'pull-off less' it felt very relaxing on the hand, so I'm thinking of practising it a little.
fanio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So guys,it's a question of finger strength or there's something more?I have brett's dvd,I have seen him live here in Italy,and his left hand seemed so relaxed!So Brett,do you think string action is relevant to obtain a fluid legato,or should I practice 24 hours a day?(I had lessons with William Stravato for some years,and he had low action guitars to play that way).
bretto212

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My action is low but still not as low as some people might assume. I've played guitars where the strings have literally been on the frets but mines high enought to still produce a clear tone so don't go too far. I also use pretty heavy strings (.011 to .050) so that dispels the notion that you need to play on the lightest strings although the lighter guages do make it easier so use whatever you find the most comfortable.
Practice as much as you can or that you feel you need to but don't try to push it. You don't want to injure your hands so give it time and let it take as long as it has to. Work on ideas at a moderate tempo with good groove and gradually build up to higher tempos. Don't sacrifice clarity for speed.
I think the key is accuracy. Holdsworth's playing is so incredibly accurate that all the notes a clear and have good tone. It's in his hands for sure.
fanio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Brett for the reply,you are always clear !.You probably don't remember me but we met two times at your clinics and at your gig in Rome with William some years ago.I'm Willy's friend and he was my guitar teacher for a long while,since I started to study alone.See ya on new topics!!
Melodic Dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n_mountain wrote:
Your Right Melodic Dreamer,

I also read that Allan does it.
So, you worked on it?
Right from the beginning or were you a pull-off guy before??

I'm just curious.
I use pull-offs and I'm definitely faster that way at the moment (I know speed is not everything, I'm talking about being really slow the other way Smile). But the few times I tried to 'pull-off less' it felt very relaxing on the hand, so I'm thinking of practising it a little.

I started out a pull off guy as well. I got into the whole legato thing while listening to Satriani. I went from using a Humbucker based guitar with a pretty saturated tone and low action to a Single coil, lite gain and somewhat higher action than I use to have. It was all a real change but in the long run it really made me a better player. I will say there is things I really am still working on. When I say lite gain, I mean like AC/DC type gain. lol It's like the longer I play the cleaner the sound I like.
Big Kev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's like the longer I play the cleaner the sound I like.

That's actually a reasonably typical progression for most players who don't actually need the ultra-distorto tone for their music (most types of metal, for example).

Kev
fanio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO guys,is legato a technique that can be used on every guitar or is specific of the electric distorted one?I mean i just want to take a direction in my own playin' and I'm always in trouble about it ,because string action really affects my playing a lot.It's just like what Stanley jordan says about his tapping technique:low action is required.So, I thought it was that way even with legato.Am I wrong?Am I paranoid?I think this argument is vital to my playing,'cause I play from about 14 years and think about it periodically.Should we have a confortable instrument or should we be confortable with any instrument,never being worried about the action?There's a curious analogy between guitar playing and car driving:a good driver drives every car good,but with a faster and good performing one he goes better.Isn't it even for guitar players? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: