Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index

Brett Garsed Discussion
The Official Brett Garsed Discussion Forum

www.BrettGarsed.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

phrasing developing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fanio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: phrasing developing Reply with quote

Wanna talk about phrasing in all it's aspects:groove,note choice,scalar lines,arpeggios,pauses,and all the things that make you sound you like you and me like me,or him like the guy on the instructional dvd he is watching! Very Happy Laughing Smile Sad
gill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: phrasing Reply with quote

take the scott henderson approach. say a line or phrase and say it again. bring the listener in. repeat the idea totally or changer it a little but keep it so the listener takes it in. brett is great with this real melodic approach
Night0wl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wanna talk about phrasing in all it's aspects:groove,note choice,scalar lines,arpeggios,pauses,and all the things that make you sound you like you and me like me,or him like the guy on the instructional dvd he is watching!

Good topic! I am also interested in the same thing. I am at a loss with phrasing! Anyone with some tips?

Shane

NightOwl Music & Entertainment
gill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: phrase it Reply with quote

take a line fifth posistion.....start on 1st string play C -A then Dsharp -C then repeat C-A Dsharp - Csharp....its a phrase.... say it acouple of times. the listener will get it and now you have him wanting more. brett,, scott henderson allen hinds jimmy herring and so on are masters at this. talking to jimmy herring about this subject. His responce was PHRASING IS EVERY THING. any ideas out there from the other guitarist..take care gill
JJW

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i mentioned this in another thread that included video clips,of course this is the net and everyone is better than me:)

check some other topics on this page if you want to or look further on this site as it has been explained before(and ignored yet again)
fanio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I didn't check other topics!But now that we started,let's go on!I wanna talk about the rhythm,the pauses and the rhytmic conception behind the phrases.I think rhythm can make a weak phrase sound interesting using the right accents,'cause a lot of times our ears focus their attention to the rhythm of the notes.The pauses make another good job to create good phrasing,'cause if you ain't got somenthing interesting to say,so ,be quiet!!! Very Happy
madad123

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Phrasing development Reply with quote

A great way to improve your phrasing is to think of each phrase as an important melody in the piece so making it interesting to listen to and develop the melody through phrases with things like inversions, retrogrades,rhythmic diminution/augmentation etc. A really useful way to develop rhythmic phrasing is to get listening to great drummers like dennis chambers, dave weckl or steve smith. This should improve your rhythmic thinking for all instruments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: