Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index

Brett Garsed Discussion
The Official Brett Garsed Discussion Forum

www.BrettGarsed.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brett's Picks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index -> Brett Garsed Tone and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bingefeller

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Brett's Picks Reply with quote

Just a quick question - what guage of pick does Brett use?

Thanks!
bretto212

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Dunlop 1mm nylon picks. Nice dark tone without too much pick noise.
jazzism

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats interesting, thats the same type and thickness Allan uses.
cheers
bretto212

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use the 1mm plastic picks but we were about to embark on a John Farnham tour and our guitar tech asked if I could use the same picks as Stuart Fraser so they could buy them in bulk. Stuart was using the 1mm nylons and as it turned out I really like them and have stayed with them ever since. I big factor is the reduced pick noise which is probably a reason for Allan preferring them although I have no idea if that's the case. They don't break either.
swampthang

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brett,

have you tried Jazz 3's? I used to use the dunlop Nylon 1mm but I got convinced to use Jazz 3's by my guitar teacher, they were a bit hard to get the hang of at first because they are so small but I found to be much nicer tone and feel.

Now going back to anything else seems really wierd, nylon 1mm seem really bulky and I can't get any of the definitiion I can now get with the jazz...
Bingefeller

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info - I noticed that you have a very quiet pick attack so that's why I asked. Cool

swampthang wrote:
brett,

have you tried Jazz 3's? I used to use the dunlop Nylon 1mm but I got convinced to use Jazz 3's by my guitar teacher, they were a bit hard to get the hang of at first because they are so small but I found to be much nicer tone and feel.

Now going back to anything else seems really wierd, nylon 1mm seem really bulky and I can't get any of the definitiion I can now get with the jazz...

Swampthang - do you ever find it difficult to strum with the Jazz 3 picks? I like them for lead but when I'm strumming stuff I tend to drop them.
Big Kev

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jim Dunlop 1mm nylon picks. Nice dark tone without too much pick noise.

Ah, I read this and thought, "Now I know where I'm going wrong!" My tone is a little bit brittle with way too much pick noise. I grabbed my pick and was about to toss it out when I noticed it was a...Jim Dunlop 1mm nylon jobbie.

Ah well.

Kev

Last edited by Big Kev on Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
swampthang

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bingefeller wrote:
Thanks for the info - I noticed that you have a very quiet pick attack so that's why I asked. Cool

swampthang wrote:
brett,

Swampthang - do you ever find it difficult to strum with the Jazz 3 picks? I like them for lead but when I'm strumming stuff I tend to drop them.

Yeah they can be kind of awkward for strumming but that all depends on your technique there, I play in a funk band and play acoustically for open mic nights and stuff and have had very few problems with them dropping apart from my wedding when I was a bit drunk!
Melodic Dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using V-picks non-stop since receiving mine. These are by far the best sounding picks I have ever played. They sound so much like a persons finger tip. These are great picks for hybrid players.

www.V-Picks.com

Take a look
Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^thanks MD, I'm gonna order some and try them out!! I'm always curious, hehe Very Happy

btw, I think Andy Timmons uses those small jazz III picks and that dood can hit and strum those strings without a problem.
lumpyleg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
^^thanks MD, I'm gonna order some and try them out!! I'm always curious, hehe Very Happy

btw, I think Andy Timmons uses those small jazz III picks and that dood can hit and strum those strings without a problem.

Yeh man just getting used to them is the key, i do all my playing with it now from fusion to funk Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
seljetnoma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett,

Are you using this pick?
http://www.plectrum-online.nl/contents/media/l_dunlop%20nylon%2044-r-100_000.jpg

And are you using the rounded side of the pick, or the sharp pointy side?

Cheers,

Frank
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index -> Brett Garsed Tone and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: