Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index

Brett Garsed Discussion
The Official Brett Garsed Discussion Forum

www.BrettGarsed.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

amp EQ-ing :Rock Fusion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index -> Brett Garsed Tone and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajay_265

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: amp EQ-ing :Rock Fusion Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Would anyone give me some suggestions of what would be the ideal way to EQ an amp to get close to Brett's lead tone on his REH instructional Rock Fusion?I know he was using his Hughes&Kettner Access preamp at that time(with his EMG equipped Steinberger).I really love the tone on that video(and on QPQ).
Unfortunately I can't afford an "all-tube"amp at the moment and will probably be going for a Roland Cube 30X(...I know Blasphemy!!).Any suggestions would be most welcome.I was thinking of using the amp on its own...do you think I'd need an OD/Dist stompbox to complement the lead tone?...thanks
swampthang

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ajay, Id recommend getting the MI audio distortion pedal that has been discussed on this forum. Brett uses it exclusively for his tone and uses volume adjustments on the guitar and pickup selections for his other sounds.
Big Kev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Brett uses it exclusively for his tone

I think you'll find Brett's using a variety of amps for his tone these days, especially for recording. However, he does use the TubeZone extensively for live work.

Kev
bretto212

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best "bang for buck" option would be the Tube Zone in my opinion. You could run it into pretty much any clean amp and you'll be able to have a good tone. I just took it with me for my clinics in the UK and France and used it quite a few times. I did use a Cornford stack at two of the UK events. It was actually THE amp that Richie Kotzen had at his studio and Guthrie used it to record most of "Erotic Cakes" with.
I had a great currie and far too many fine ales with Guthrie and Paul Cornford on my last night in the UK. What a great bunch of blokes!
Melodic Dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bretto212 wrote:
Best "bang for buck" option would be the Tube Zone in my opinion. You could run it into pretty much any clean amp and you'll be able to have a good tone. I just took it with me for my clinics in the UK and France and used it quite a few times. I did use a Cornford stack at two of the UK events. It was actually THE amp that Richie Kotzen had at his studio and Guthrie used it to record most of "Erotic Cakes" with.
I had a great currie and far too many fine ales with Guthrie and Paul Cornford on my last night in the UK. What a great bunch of blokes!

Hey Brett,
I'm guessing the amp you played then is the Cornford RK100. What did you think of the amp and the overall character and feel you got from it?
How would the Flexi 50 compare in terms of guitar straight into amp? Basically comparing eqing/gain and overall response wise.
JJW

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guitar also plays a bloody big part in the tone shaping.My parker with its high tech carbon glass epoxy fretboard sounds (imo)just like Bretts when i use it on my digitech2120 preamps or Pod Pro's.
The pedal Brett uses from time to time i expect will get you close-but to be honest any decent modelling amp should get you the same results
As for the eq'ng-you have to use your ears mate and just dial in the sound that is closest
A lot of the tone comes from brett as well!his hybrid playing with the use of fingers on the picking hand on his runs/arps-hell most licks if you watch him on vid mellow out his runs-but of course the dude can get alternate picking with the best of them for that in your face compressed pick sound.
I think that roland cube thingy should get you close to his REH/Quid tone
ajay_265

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks JJW.I'm sure a lot of it is Brett's hands.There is absolutely no doubt that his tone has significantly changed from the early 90s.I loved his tone on QPQ and the REH video.It become quite "woody" on Exempt and then onwards(dunno if he changed anything on his rig).Any pointers on "clockface" settings for drive,bass,mids&treble??

I'm getting a custom electric guitar made(should get it by May)..dense Swamp Ash body(with brian Moore style contours),bolt-on Mahogany neck with Ebony fingerboard.EMG-85(bridge) and EMG-SA(neck)pickups(ala Brett's Steinberger).Would've considered a graphite neck&board but I think they are very costly and tough to maintain Crying or Very sad
JJW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actualy the ebony boards are close to the feel of a graphite board unplugged.My Jackson has an ebony board and its a slippery beast that feels compararable to the Fly

seriously if you like a less woody sounding guitar Ajay,then check out the Parker Fly Deluxe in one of your local music shops.The deluxe models have a bright synthetic tone that works surprisingly well,and the onboard elecronics are amazing.great accoustic tone and a bright liquid plastic rock tone.

as for brett tones shaping?perhaps the good man himself can explain his EQ shape at some stage when he gets the time

I tend to drop the treb a bit,wack up the bass,then mid-and adjust the treb for a hint of presence.its good to have a fat tone(in the right settings-if playing thrash metal then the mids go down a lot)but i find having large bass and mids gets a smiling rock tone:)

who is making your custom guitar then?
stratcat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the Parkers are great guitars i have two Nitefly's myself (best electrics i've owned) love to own a deluxe but the old budget wont stretch that far!
Also the tube zone is great but you need to spend a bit of time with it,i found it quite bassy to start with.
ajay_265

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey JJW,
My custom guitar is being built by Bob Johnson of Legra guitars(Leigh-On-Sea,Essex).
www.legraguitars.co.uk

My design has been inspired by Brett's Steinberger(wood pickups),the Brian Moore i8(shape&contours) and the Gibson Les Paul Swamp Ash special(wood choices). Smile
I've opted for a 25"scale length(a la PRS) and a Schaller 455 fixed bridge.
Can't wait!!!
JJW

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like a good builder,i do like his traditional stylings on his models.

what are the prices of his average custom ?had a quick flick on his site and i couldnt see prices
ajay_265

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think his customs start at £850-900.
Mine is £1551.00(I initially thought about a Mahogany or Alder body w/flame maple top but that would be £100-200 more.
I'm going for a dense Swamp Ash body with a high gloss polyester paintjob(Pearl Redbusrt like a Petrucci JP6 Musicman).Have asked for Sperzel locking tuners and Brian Moore style headstock(2+4).The external shape&lines of the guitar is totally based on the Brian Moore i8.I've opted for the 25"scale length&medium frets due to my smallish hands Laughing
ilovemusic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not enough to get a good sound IMO, you have to get a sound that fits the way you play...my amp has a 3 band eq Cool and i use economy picking mainly, and the two settings i like are LOW 5 MID 3 HIGH 0
and LOW 0 MID 0 HIGH 2...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index -> Brett Garsed Tone and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: