Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index

Brett Garsed Discussion
The Official Brett Garsed Discussion Forum

www.BrettGarsed.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bretts ESP horizon
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index -> Brett Garsed Tone and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cho_888

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Bretts ESP horizon Reply with quote

just wondering if any of you guys know if bretts horizon custom is a neck thru body or not? i am getting a guitar built and i would like people opinions on neck thru constuction
bretto212

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed neck through. I was so glad to get back to that as it allows full access to the upper frets and I think it also helps the overall tone and sustain of the guitar.
cho_888

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would you agree that this construction adds a lotof mid range to the guitar? and does the string thru body help in making the most of the neck thru
bretto212

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question...not really sure about that. I haven't noticed the guitar to have too much midrange. Sounds pretty balanced to my ears but there's so many external factors involved in electric guitar desing I'm not the most informed person to ask. Anyone else out there have any insight?
Myke

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

Bit too technical for me... I know a local Luthier though so I'll drop him a line...

Personally I'd opt for string through body with a thru neck... Saying that, I play bolt on with a vintage style trem!! I can't bear to part with this particular instrument though. To be fair and as Brett says, there's so many other factors in the electric chain that I might not even notice a huge change in sound by having those changes but I'm certain there's people out there with a better ear than me.. I guess that's why I don't build guitars!!

I'll see what Robin says..

Cheers
cho_888

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy who is building my guitar is the ex-bass guitarist from the southern Suns Geoff Cain, it is his opinion that neck thru's have alot of mids. I am over the flody rose tremelo big time and i want more sustain and tone as i move away from shred. Recently in the shop we have stocked an ESP camo viper, it is a neck thru and it plays so well. I was shock the cheaper LTD range is so much behind the ESP's themselfs. I am looking forward to bretts clinic as the ESP rep is bringing down alot of Japanese ESP's
Myke

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I wish i lived close enough to make the clinic.

Sounds like you're in good hands with the advice from the builder. My friend wasn't able to shed much light I'm afraid.

Good luck with the new instrument.

M
cho_888

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i got the drawings today and the guitar is shaping up niceless, i cant wait
guitarsatbmusic.com.au

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Recently in the shop we have stocked an ESP camo viper, it is a neck thru and it plays so well.

Actually, you've probably answered the argument between set and neck-thru there for yourself. The heel access of course is superior on a neck-thru to most bolt-ons and set necks and that sells it for most people. You see, the ESP Viper isn't actually neck-thru but you've clearly dug the heel access and overall feel of the neck where there would ordinarily be a rather more prominent feel at the joint.
The Viper is actually set-thru which has the "hell-less" feel of a neck-thru but is a set neck, and the neck-thru heel appearance and feel is provided by shaving out of what is a quite long neck tenon.
So, at the end of the day, I personally don't perceive any tonal differences between neck-thru vs set neck aside from the obvious characteristics that would be brought about by the materials being employed. i.e. most neck-thrus feature three-piece maple necks. If mahogany is used for the wings and a maple cap then it will sound different to a set neck guitar that has a mahogany body, maple neck and maple cap (the centre of the body will then not be occupied by the maple of the neck so will feature more mahogany). There would be a perceived tonal diifference between these two examples, it may be suubtle and it may be marked, all depending on the quality of the timbers being used of course.

(By the way, I like the new forum, kept abreast of the other via the e-mails but it's nice to see it all laid out like this). Very Happy
bretto212

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Henderson is probably the man to ask about this as he knows a great deal about wood, construction etc and talk about tone! You can e mail him from his message board at www.scotthenderson.net as they have regular question/answer postings on there. I believe his Suhr guitars are bolt on necks.
cho_888

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was playing your guitar brett which made me certain of the neck thru construction. I am sure there would be minimal difference between it and a set neck but just the idea and being able to see the neck in the back of the guitar has always seemed great to me
guitarsatbmusic.com.au

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Brett's Horizon now available to mere mortals :) Reply with quote

The first of the Standard Series Brett Garsed Signature models have arrived. There are two blue and actually one brown available. ESP have been releasing a number of Standard Series versions of the Sigs from a number of artists siince starting last year with a Jeff Hanneman model and continuing this year wiith a number of model from Euro artists lke Gus G. and so on. A Custom Shop version of Brett's Horizon (as his is) is also available by order but for some SERIOUS bucks. Pics below of the first ones landed:

More images:
http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/guitars/sigseries/hires/brett_garsed/brett_garsed_std_tbl_1.jpg
http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/guitars/sigseries/hires/brett_garsed/brett_garsed_std_tbl_4.jpg
http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/guitars/sigseries/hires/brett_garsed/brett_garsed_std_tbl_5.jpg
http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/guitars/sigseries/hires/brett_garsed/brett_garsed_std_tbl_6.jpg
http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/guitars/sigseries/hires/brett_garsed/brett_garsed_std_tbl_7.jpg
http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/guitars/sigseries/hires/brett_garsed/brett_garsed_std_tbl_8.jpg
http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/guitars/sigseries/hires/brett_garsed/brett_garsed_std_tbl_10.jpg
http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/guitars/sigseries/hires/brett_garsed/brett_garsed_std_tbl_11.jpg
bretto212

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!! Thanks for posting the photos. I hope this guitar finds a new market for ESP. They've already got the metal scene taken over but this guitar would appeal to people who are also into PRS and even Gibsons.
guitarsatbmusic.com.au

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The specs are as follows. As Brett could attest, there is added expense in the Custom Shop version and that would include, besides the costs of building in that facility, around a 5mm quilt top at my guess (note the depth of quilt in Brett's own Horizon), the binding of the body and headstock being actual maple (the Standard Series version only uses "real" maple for the neck biding and the headstcok and body are synthetic (love how the Japanese tell it like it is, note "fake" in the description). So most of these things are aesthetic, the quality of the Standard Series is excellent, the Custom Shop is just that something sepcial, and if any of you have priced the Brett Garsed model being built in the Custom Shop exactly to spec you've probably got a price of around $9-10K! These Standard Series ones we sell for around the $3K mark.
dan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh man.. that is a nice guitar!.. i am looking at buying a new guitar very soon.. it will probably be an esp, but this guitar is a bit out of my price range unfortunitely, also i dont think i can move away from the floyd rose..even though i do want the sustained sound.. i just feel bare without one.. i think i will definatly get a thru neck... i have had a bolt on for years.. and now its just plain annoying..my price range is about 2k, could anyone recommend the right esp for me.. some more basic specs would be 24 fret, emgs active pickups, not sure about the wood.. i like ebony cause its really smooth and feels great, though i havent had a chance to try them all so i have no idea.. i have been stuck with my crappy guitar for a long time now and cant wait for a change. i am also looking for a pretty vesitile guitar.. any suggestions?

cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Brett Garsed Discussion Forum Index -> Brett Garsed Tone and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: