Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Steve Morse!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steve Morse!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bill®

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Steve Morse! Reply with quote

Steve Morse kicks ass, and I'm damn-near positive he's had at least some influence on Guthrie's playing. Is he endorsed by any fellow forum members?
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Morse was the first guy that came along and broke into the hallowed circle of McLaughlin, Dimeola, and Holdsworth for me in the late 70s. I've seen him a few times thru the years and I always come away with a bloody chin from my jaw hitting the floor.

One of the top players on the earth in my book!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Morse Reply with quote

I read somewhere that Morse was a big influence on Guthrie. How could he not be? Absolutely amazing player. I'm sure Morse's versatility was an inspiration to Guthrie all around. But personal taste-wise, I felt that Morse lacked a certain kind of urban rock feel that I like to listen to and he is a "pre-G3" era guy, which was, for better or worse, my roots as far as technical guitar playing is concerned. I have a bunch of Morse/Dregs albums and they're all great, but it's not something I'd normally pop into my CD player in the car or at work. Before Yngwie, I was into Blackmore, Howe, DiMeola, some McLaughlin and Holdsworth. But once Yngwie (along with MacAlpine), Satch and Vai (and to a degree, EJ) came along, those three became my "base" and Morse could never crack that circle for some reason. But, as we all say, it's just personal taste. Morse is an incredible player and he's one guy I really need to check out live.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morse is an amazing player that's for sure. Seen him twice live and a very nice guy to talk to.

But since I'm more of a Greg Howe, Holdsworth, Brett Garsed wanna-be type of player....I haven't really made much of an effort to get into him. The only album I have is Major Impacts, which is a terrific album.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
Morse is an amazing player that's for sure. Seen him twice live and a very nice guy to talk to.

But since I'm more of a Greg Howe, Holdsworth, Brett Garsed wanna-be type of player....I haven't really made much of an effort to get into him. The only album I have is Major Impacts, which is a terrific album.

Yeah, Morse certainly doesn't have qualities of those types of players. Morse is definitely more staccato than the flowing legato styles of those masters. Love those guys, but I also like a good deal of that super fast alternate-picked lines a la Yngwie, DiMeola, McLaughlin, Gilbert, etc. For me, the ideal is a good mix of both types of "schools of playing", but for me, I think it comes down to the choice of notes, the musical style, and the way they phrase more than the application of techniques.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Donnie B.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Morse Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Morse is an incredible player and he's one guy I really need to check out live.

Ed, by all means find a way to see Steve rip it up live. I know what you mean about the lack of Urban Rock in his playing - I'd love to hear him play a slow blues just once or something where his intonation is not so damn perfect!

Anyway, what a monster live. His playing is amazing but so is his mastery of changing tones mid solo and sometimes mid lines. His bends are also something to behold in person. In many ways he satisfies me in the same way as Guthrie in that it's absolutely mind boggling watching someone with such TOTAL CONTROL over the instrument.

Plus he's a pretty funny guy between songs!
Carlo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point Ed...

I do love Morse's chromatic approach and it's definately one aspect of his playing that I try to apply to my own style.

And it's quite obvious that some Morse-isms have rubbed off on Guthrie...

http://www.jamtrax.com/article.asp?id=82&cid=27

Wink

I'm also a huge fan of Gilbert. I especially dig his phrasing and the way he applies his crazy string-skipping arpeggios to his soloing. I totally love all his solo albums and he certainly knows how to write some great hummable tunes. Plus you gotta admire his encyclopedic knowledge of rock and disco covers
Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: