Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Playing guitar is all in the head
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing guitar is all in the head

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kidam

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Playing guitar is all in the head Reply with quote

I start this discussion on an other forum, but I want to hear you on this:

Does playing guitar is all in the head?

Per example, if you have problem executing a certain movement with your pick, it is a mind block or a physical "problem"?

A GG quote on the subject:

"Do you have anything that resembles a defined practise regime?

Well, nowadays it really is just playing…and to be honest it’s always been a bit like that. I never did have a miracle workout or anything. I play music whenever I can, but as far as actual practising goes I guess that most of it is really mental nowadays – sitting on the train on the way to work, I can think about how to approach something or improve some aspect of what I do without necessarily having to be near an instrument. "

Source:http://alloutguitar.com/interview/ar...so?page=0%2C14

In this 30 hours workout, Steve Vai say something like this to (first or seconde page of the article).

What guy do you think on that?
Cass679

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing guitar is probably as much a mental workout as it is a physical workout. Escpecially considering the much information that one has to assimilate when studying things like theory, technique etc.

I sometimes pity beginner student that i have, because they are not quite used to taking in and understanding some aspects of music.

It still is a mental workout for myself when studying chords, finger positions, harmony etc. So to answer your question, playing guitar, IMO, is as much in the head as its a physical workload. To me, its roughly 50/50.
Wickedpicker

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: mental? whose mental? Reply with quote

when I began playing, guitar was mostly physical. The longer I've played the more i'm limited by my imagination rather than hand eye. That being said, I still have to practice certain licks when I discover them. Typically i'm just playing when I am struck by some melodic or rythmic idea. The first time I pull it off, I have to work on my pick and fingering technique to get smooth and sometimes I discover an easier way to play it. Then I build speed until it becomes relaxed.

I consider myself an accomplished player but I can't imagine where a guy like GG is. I would guess its not much different other than the level of mental agility and imagination happening while he plays. I think most muscians generally play within themselves at some point, meaning they're not really stretching physically as much as conceptually. I'm never gonna be as fast as Yngwie so I don't even try anymore, just try to find my best stuff.
loiking

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think, for me personally, that there is a emotional side to playing, and depending on what mood i'm in.
Kidam

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the difference between something you cant play and something that you will be able to play when you will have memorize each note of a song?

Clear?

No ok.

If I give you a very easy melody with 500 notes at a slow tempo to play, you will have to learn the song and memorize each note. What is the diffence between this and a tricky lick at 10000bpm.

In other word, what is the difference between technical difficulties (something you cant play flawless at any tempo) and playing fast. Every lick at 40bpm is easy to play no?

If you can play a lick at 40bpm, you can play the lick (maybe if the original tempo is 10x faster).

Maybe the problem is to play this lick at 120bpm. For this you have to memorize perfectly each note so playing fast = memory or anticipation.

If you can anticipate each note perfectly, maybe you can play fast any lick. Anticipation = brain, not finger.

If I'm not clear, just ask and I will try to clarify.
assfax

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technique is physical. You've got to get your appendages synchronized. Music is mental. Your hands do not think. You'll get certain muscle movements down to the point of unconscious action. You can play very fast and not kick any ass. You can play extremely slow and sound like shite. You've got to have something you're saying. Joe Pass says if you can't remember a line, why play it? You've got to make a connection to your heart , brain, and hands. Technique should become natural, you shouldn't think about it. That allows your mind to go off to where new things come out. If you can come up with a great slow simple solo you can grow. Theory can either be cerebral in a "I'm in G major" way, or it can become like writing where you know the rules but don't really focus on them while in use. Stuff can fall apart really quickly if you don't pay attention to what you are doing. Bill Evans has that great liner note essay about the Japanese line paintings where if you make a mistake the sheet of paper is ruined. Music is much more forgiving.
M@

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just Play!!!

Actually, it can end up a bit of a "chicken and egg" situation; i.e. do you think first and then play, or do you play first and then think about what you just played (or even bother to reflect)? I believe that the true artists really do just play, but they have to go through the ropes and understand the theory and mechanisms.

Even BB King, who wouldn't be considered a theoritical player, uses shapes and maps, which are essentially theory and sound represented by the physical positions, that he has learned how they sound and feel in different contexts. Yes, a connection still has to be made between mind and matter...

If BB King had an insane workout regime like Steve Vai, then quite simply he wouldn't "be" or sound like BB King (he probably wouldn't sound like Steve Vai either!!!).

Thinking too much can really screw up your playing too... Check out Jimmy Bruno's "No Nonsense Jazz" instructional video... I bought it when it first came out on Video, and at that time didn't think it taught me too much (i.e. basic fingerings and application over II-V-I), but recently bought the DVD version because I was bored, and started viewing it again. What he says really does make sense and the information can be applied quite readily.

Personally, I really enjoy the analytical side of Music (whether it's studying blues, jazz or classical concepts and theories), and I use technical exercises to improve my precision and dexterity, but at the end of the day, I just love to play, whether it's just jamming on a vamp, a blues, with buddies or on your own... that's why we play guitar, right???

Anyway, that's sort of what I think at this moment in time about all this (but I reserve the right to change my mind at any time with out prior notice).

Very Happy

Cheers
M@
Rickh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's both.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: