Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - DI box vs micing
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DI box vs micing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikke_998

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: DI box vs micing Reply with quote

Hey, at the moment I don't have the luxury to record on my pc with my marshall head because the volume to get the thing sining is insane. Would a DI box sound good compared to micing? Do pro's like guthrie ever use DI boxes or Is it best to stay away from DI boxes because they won't sound natural, is there a brand i should look into? I might look into a combo like the harlequin or carrera one day, but being a student, that ain't gonna happen soon.
sumis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, u need a box with dummy load not to ruin your head, or burn down the house. palmer makes or have made a bunch of them. guthrie has used a palmer speaker simulator a lot. just a di box wont help u. that will sound crap. u want something that simulates the frequency response of a miced cab. i know suhr is experimenting...

or u could just get a pod. but for the prices they go for now, the vox tonelab is a bargain. great at semi distorted, early break-up sounds, and will sound even better with a nice od pedal in front.

best thing u could do though: build an isolation cab! but that'll be a hassle.

if you have a good sound card and a powerful computer: try amplitube or guitar rig.

M@

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guitar Rig is great, although I haven't used it for a while on my computer. There is a new version called Guitar Rig 2.

Check it out at the Native Instruments website.

Cheers
M@
ikke_998

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've installed the guitarrig 2 demo using the line out from my roland cube as a line in for the demo... It was hard to get a good sound but i guess thats also because of limited time to mess withe the software and not having the rig controller and using a cube instead. Having all of the options for effects and amps in your computer is very tempting.
Didn't guthrie use gr2 on the young punx gigs?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvSfKwZVHFA

Anyone happen to know what settings guthrie used to emulate his sound?
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikke_998 wrote:
Didn't guthrie use gr2 on the young punx gigs?

yes he did. travel light with guitar and a macbook. Cool

but really, the interface i important, as well as a more than decent computer.

ikke_998

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gettigng a more then decent laptop this summer because I'm going to study graphic design and informatics next year and I'll make shure the graphic and sound card are very good. so that won't be a problem.

The sounds guthrie gets from GR2 and the sounds on the website seem impressive. Might really be fun to use at home... but then again it pains me to have a decent marshall tube head and never being able to use it at home.
I guess thats why amps like the harlequin exist.

I hink having a decent tube amp that can switch between 5 watts or 50 watts would be an awsome concept but would cost mucho's $$$.
M@

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also check out the Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 - seems to be similar to the F Series but more switchable features and you can drop it down to 5 watts. I have an F30, which pulls some nice sounds (and thinking of upgrading to an Express model Boogie, if it sounds better and has more features than my current F30). Smile

Currently have a Cornford Carrera on order which should be in next week, so that'll be great fun!!! Maybe I won't even need my Boogie, so I can get rid of that all together - let's see what the missus says (well, I can already guess what she will say!). Razz

I really like goofing around with Guitar Rig, but I do believe you need a good interface and good speakers (headphones sound too squishy for me). I've considered upgrading to GR2, but I don't use it enough to justify it... Sad

Back to DI boxes... seems from the specs that the BBE DI100x (with built in Sonic Maximizer feature) would be a good choice... but at the end of the day, the DI is just getting your guitar into another system, you will still need something to process it after that stage...

http://www.bbesound.com/products/DI/DI100x/index.asp

Cheers
M@
StephenE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a home recordist and composer myself, I've experimented with a few options available, I like yourself can't really run my amp cranked, and don't have the best micing tecniques to get the best tone possible.

Try looking into a Palmer Speaker simulator (they're a DI, load box and speaker sim all in one), if I remember correctly, this is what Guthrie used to record the solo for Fives with, if you read the linear notes it says this. They take a bit of tweaking to get a good sound of, and you'll probably have to do some post-production to get the amp sounding right, but this is prolly the case with anything.

Have you tried looking into an attenuator to get your amp running hotter at lower volumes?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: