Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Preferred Preamp Tube Brands and Stock Options
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preferred Preamp Tube Brands and Stock Options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidtension

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Preferred Preamp Tube Brands and Stock Options Reply with quote

What's everyone's preference on brands of preamp tubes, and more importantly why?

I'm thinking of retubing my amp and have decided to go with either Tung-Sols or JJs, but I'm favoring the first choice right now. Is there another choice that I should be looking at?

What are the stock tubes brands in the Cornfords and Custom Audios?

Does Guthrie have a tube brand that he swears by or is his approach more of a "I like the way this sounds, so there's no need to change"?

Sorry if this is redundant of an older thread. I did a few searches first and couldn't find anything.
jordan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently swapped my Rivera's preamp valves over from EH-12AX7s to Tung-Sols (just because they needed changing and I thought I'd try something new), and I'm perfectly happy with the Tung-Sols.

In the past I've tried the Cryo-valves from Watford Valves, but couldn't tell any difference at all, so definitely won't be paying their prices again(!).
liquidtension

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another question lingering related to tubes and this thread.

The whole tube bias thing for power tubes. Let's say my amp comes with 6L6s, and I've decided that I will only use 6L6s in it. How necessary is biasing? Will there really be THAT much of a difference?

For example, I have an old Mesa Fifty/Fifty power amp. Obviously the Mesas come with a fixed bias. But if I decided to put in a set of Tung Sols, GT or JJ 6L6s would this power amp really need rebiasing? I've heard some say 'yes' and others say that it is nothing more that a gimmick. What kind of difference are we talking about? Granted I purchase a perfect working set of tubes, is the difference something that only an intricate measuring device would pick (or in other words, nothing that the ears would notice)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: