Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Best guitarist in the world.....?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best guitarist in the world.....?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geetarro-Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can't say whos the 'best' guitarist, but if you like Tommy emmanuel then you'll like Doyle Dykes too. His acoustic playing is right up there

http://www.doyledykes.com/
tweezeroo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An amazing jam here from Tommy and Joscho Stephan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOMr2B1wGTc

Joscho Stephan is the new king LoL !!!
Mandz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy emmanuel is playing in my hometown and i've already got my tickets:

http://www.tinangeltickets.co.uk/index.php/action/item/id/81/prevaction/item/previd/116/prevstart//

i personally prefer Jon Gomm over Emmannuel though - Jon's a really good singer too, and just as funny entertaining on stage as tommy. if you've never seen him, you are missing something special.
polishcomedy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite is Allan Holdsworth. After that...Steve Vai, Guthrie Govan, Don Ross, Greg Howe, TJ Helmerich, Frank Gambale, Eric Johnson, Shawn Lane, etc.
Mirth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting topic, but I would say even influence is a bad way to judge "who's better". Because as was stated above, as people become better there influences change, and evolve.

So to say who had the most influence can be like; Britney Spears has more influence then Ella Fitzgerald, because she's easier for the mass public to digest. It's not until someone studies for awhile that they evolve into something like Ella, or beyond. So would you argue Britney is a better singer, since she's probably converted more people, and influenced their style then Ella could ever dream to.

Popularity obviously determines the outcome of influence, so it's kind of hard to use that as criteria as well.

how do you determine then? I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

cheers,

tim
www.reverbnation.com/timmirth
antonis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirth wrote:
Interesting topic, but I would say even influence is a bad way to judge "who's better". Because as was stated above, as people become better there influences change, and evolve.

So to say who had the most influence can be like; Britney Spears has more influence then Ella Fitzgerald, because she's easier for the mass public to digest. It's not until someone studies for awhile that they evolve into something like Ella, or beyond. So would you argue Britney is a better singer, since she's probably converted more people, and influenced their style then Ella could ever dream to.

Popularity obviously determines the outcome of influence, so it's kind of hard to use that as criteria as well.

cheers,

tim

+1
tweezeroo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirth wrote:

cheers,

tim

There is no such thing as 'best guitarist in the world' its all subjective.FACT!
roby_ga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy this!

1. Fabrizio"Bicio" Leo www.fabrizioleo.com Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFrWNSN669s

2. Nicola Fassi www.nicolafassi.com Shocked

then the others...
makispoll

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me!!!
OK let's get serious. I think that no one is the absolute best. Every guitarist has something to give to you, musically speaking. Among my favorite guitar players are Richie Kotzen, Guthrie Govan,Michael Lee Firkins, Greg Howe,Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, Frank Gambale and SRV.
chimera963

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie is up there in my top guitarists and I have much more respect for him than say Satriani or Vai. I find much of their music unlistenable or uninteresting (in my opinion), but I love Guthrie's music!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: