Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Help, Can't Decide- Guthrie's Suhr pickups or DiMarzio Breed
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help, Can't Decide- Guthrie's Suhr pickups or DiMarzio Breed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moffittjr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Help, Can't Decide- Guthrie's Suhr pickups or DiMarzio Breed Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

I have an Ibanez RG2550 Prestige and I would like to replace the humbuckers with DiMarzio Breeds or the JST DVS and JST DSH+

I love love love Guthrie's lead sound, but I need these pickups to also give me good rhythm. Heavymetal, Gainy, Death Metal Riffage type stuff.

After reading the description of the pickups on the Suhr website, I noticed the word "smooth" was used a lot. Yes, I do want smooth, but I also want good distortion for rhythm. Think John Petrucci.

Which should I get? There are tons of reviews for the Breeds and everyone says they are just amazing. But I can't seem to find any reviews for the pickups Guthrie uses.

Are the Breeds as flexible as the JST's? Thank you very much.
moffittjr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a mp3 of the sound I'm trying to talk about. Just kinda ignore the singing if it's not your thing. Twisted Evil

Rhythm and Lead in this...
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't really played the dsh+, but i have ssh+ in my guitar and i've tried the breed on many guitars.

i don't think you could go wrong with any of these pups, although the breed and suhr pups are very different. the ssh+ is like a jb, but good Wink a great rock and metal pup imho: it's 'gainy', but not compressed, really nice midrange without being nasal, nice highs and punchy bottom, but it's not too smooth though. i'd probably go with a dsh+ for a more 'fusiony' sound (that seems to be what it does).

i find the breed a great pup, but definitely not as dynamic as the suhr.

both the breed the ssh+ will definitely do the soundclip, but honestly, that will depend on your amp and fingers as much as anything else.

moffittjr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered the ssh+ for the bridge and a SSV for the neck! Looks like my music store just started carrying Suhr since Anderson guitars is no longer being made.

I can't wait till they come! Thanks Ed for the help!
Paolo_Angelo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOU should have tried DiMarzio Air Norton and Air Zone pickups... the best pair i had so far..i got an ibanez prestige too... LOVED the Air Pickups... very responsive, and whatever type of gain and no matter how much distortion/gain you put, it never gets muddy ... anyway enjoy Cool
Riffronan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice tone, Mottiff... a very nice distortion tone that's articulate but not too over-the-top gain-wise. I can't wait to get the Doug Aldrich humbucker in a few weeks that'll replace the bridge Bill Lawrence in the N4 I've had since '92. Ed definitely pointed me in the right direction. Did you decide on a pickup? I'll post some before and after samples as soon as I get an e609 or a SM57. My VERY favorite tone sample is Guthrie 'No Governor' Govan playing his root beer std of a Larry Carlton fusion track. I've been wondering if he's using the neck or bridge pup on that track. That tone is absolute Holy Grail for me(!)
Fixxxer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say Bare Knuckle Pickups, beats all others hands down.

Completly hand made using the best materiels,

www.bareknucklepickups.com

i use the Nailbombs these are closest to the guthrie sound i feel. Smile

Cornford MK50
PRS Custom22
Custom Jackson
Original Vox Clyde Wah
DigiTech Whammy
TC Electronic Vintage Delay
THD Hotplate 16ohm
JamesHealey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second BKP, they're absolutely amazing I've got a set of Black Dogs in my RG550 w/Cornford Hurricane and it's astoundingly good for an Ibanez guitar.. As good as it gets really.

Im considering a Suhr Pro Series next month though i'll have just enough cash to drop on one, but not 100% sure if i want one yet.
chimera963

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice, is go on Bare Knuckle Pickups' website and read the description for all their stuff.

So far, I can safely say they are the best pickups I've ever used, I have a pair of Cold Sweats which are lovely.

You may be looking for a Miracle Man or Nail Bomb, for the sounds you are after.

Hope this helps,

-Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: