Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie Tabs!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie Tabs!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Central Scrutinizer wrote:
You have just destroyed one model XQJ-37 Nuclear Powered Pan-Sexual Roto-Plooker And you're gonna have to pay for it! So give up, you haven't got a chance.

explicate wrote:
I'm not much of a forum guy and my work isn't of professional quality, all I am providing is what many people want to know.... what the hell is going on in those 128th notes this man is playing. It takes a long time to figure that out accurately, and I enjoy doing it for myself but I figured if other people want to benefit from my work then I'll charge a small amount.

So where people have tabbed it on the other sections of the forum, you want to do the same but be paid for it because you're not really community minded... okay I guess I'd respect your honesty... if I didn't think it was just a lack of guile Wink Laughing

explicate wrote:
If you have the ability to tab his stuff then you should do it without guilt and share it with your friends. Music is free, the notes are free, the compression and rarefaction is free;

... but you want to charge a fee for your time and effort? Confused What about Guthrie's, Seth's, Pete's, Ron's, Jan's, Paul's, effort?

explicate wrote:
all guthrie does is provide brilliant phrasing, dynamics, etc. like every other musician.

Natural lack of guile is a working title for whatever quality it is you're showing here. I, personally, find it refreshingly amusing. Wink

So, by your own standards all you'd be doing is listening to someone elses music (probably downloaded on bit torrent) played slow and working out where to stick your fingers?

explicate wrote:
Maybe you guys could go to open mikes and accuse people of covering stevie ray vaughan without paying his family royalties.

Are they going to charge me to listen to covers of Stevie Ray Vaughn?! I know exactly how much they'd have to pay me to listen to SRV Wink

explicate wrote:
I think you forum guys are caught up in the bullshit surrounding music.

Whereas you're caught up in your own bullshit... I get ya. Cool liking your style.

explicate wrote:
The phrasing is genius, people including myself want to see it broken down, and it's hard work to do that, but it's not taking anything away from guthrie to do it in any way.

That's why there are loads of threads in the Learning section for the people dedicated to put in the hours and share. You'll love it, it's a way of life.

explicate wrote:
And charging for labor is standard.

Not here it isn't, but that's irrelevant. What you're doing is creating a product you can duplicate at no cost and keep selling.. if you sell the same thing twice you're no longer charging labour.

So lets break that down:

1) It's not your music, and you're not really fussed about permissions cos musics "free". Respect, sense of property ... that's musical bullshit.
2) You charge $5 an hour for this "free" music.
3) There's no indication of how much of a track $5 gets you, but possibly not much.
4) You're not 100% sure of the quality of your transcriptions.
5) Noone's seen an example of your transcription to judge the quality.

All right! Where do I sign? Laughing

explicate wrote:
The people who can play Guthrie's solos can tab them.

That's not strictly accurate is it? Any muppet can transcribe, I wont list the number of extra skills needed to play the music. There's no evidence you can play the music ... or even tab it.

explicate wrote:
So far, those people who are paying for it are either able to tab it and are paying for the convenience; or their mouth is bigger than their stomach and they just want to see it like a kid looks at disney world.

So, noone's paid for your tab yet, but if they did ask you you'd assume they were lazy or were trying to back up their own bragging? You've got a great relationship with your bitches...err I mean clients. Laughing

explicate wrote:
Either way my advice to you forum dwellers is spend more time playing less time bitching.

Excellent advice, you should listen to that advice...

explicate wrote:
Music is free! Enjoy it!

Yah, $5 per hour for an indeterminate amount of your "non-professional" interpretation of Guthrie's tunes. It's a musical revolution Rolling Eyes Laughing

I'm hoping you're going to come back and say "A guy's gotta eat", because if that were true, we could nominate you for a Darwin Award Wink

I have the power!
explicate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't read most of that, all I can say is I feel bad for how absorbed you are in your own conditioning. Unfortunately you are very addicted to yourself and nothing I say will change that. Unlike you however, I could care less about all of this, theres always those people like you... who constantly have to feed that need for affirmation and fill their minds with meaningless nonsense to in turn fill forum pages with meaningless nonsense. With no negativity intended... get a life.
liquidtension

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone want some CCR tabs? I need to pay rent. j/k

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Frankus, I love your style Smile

Anyway, I think the point is that the very nature of this forum is that everyone scratches everyone else's back. In some sense, it's like 'peer reviewed' free tabs. It's kinda like "This is what I got. Any corrections?" It's just a little awkward when everyone is swapping tabs for free and someone pops in and says "hey, I'll give you 15 seconds with no guarantee and I'll charge you for it." All feelings, pride, and intentions aside, I hope that you can see how that comes off.

Now if there was a guarantee on accuracy over a whole solo, and we had some way to see other work that has the same guarantee, then I say let the free market rule. Otherwise, regardless of your intentions, it's hard to not come off as a chump looking to make a quick buck while caring less about respecting the forum and its members.
loiking

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suggest that u scout around the forum b4 paying for some half done job from a random, who won't give a cut to the artist
Rickh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owned.
sumis

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus is known to be wrong from time to time. this is not one of those times.

jasonmace

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a nice read all I have to say alot people want his licksi had at least 30 email asking me for his songs and many other like Greg Howe Shawn Lane Kotzen .I think its fare if some one spends 3 to 5 hour on a tab for everyone so he should be paid for his time .The going rate for transcriptions is $30 per page believe I know because I do it full time.I did The full tab of 7s and it 34 pages so do the math it took 46 hours to do.But also Guthie should be ask if it ok to do that because if going to put out a book he needs to sell some if on the net already well he want sell many.I hope everyone is do good.
www.jasonmacedo.com
Cass679

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that anyone is trying to argue wether or not he should get paid for transcribing Guthrie's material. They are discussing the copyright issues involved in reproducing Guthrie's material and then making a profit from it.
Look at the magazine that Guthrie works for - Guitar Techniques. Before an issue can be printed with all those fantastic transcriptions, they have to get the permission of the songwriter in question.
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's put this in context: explicate is advertising selling un-authorized copies of Guthrie's music (explicitly Guthrie's music).

1) Has explicate asked Guthrie's permission to sell tab publicly? No.
2) Has explicate asked the moderators if he could advertise here? No.
3) Adverts on the page pay for hosting and maintenance. Did explicate pay? No.
4) Has explicate made any input to the forum prior to advertising? No.
5) Are explicate's services quality assured? No.

Summary:
explicate signed up to advertise and sell products he has neither license or permission for. He hasn't contributed to the forum in any way. I can't guarantee you won't feel ripped off if buying his services.

People questioned explicate's ethics: explicate spat the dummy.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: