Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Hello from the Netherlands!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello from the Netherlands!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutibu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Hello from the Netherlands! Reply with quote

Hey all!

I'm Steve, from the Netherlands. I study Industrial design and have been playing guitar for some four years now. Before that I played classical piano for about eight years. Currently I'm building my own electric (which is nearing completion) and writing a lot of songs. I'm just uncovering the wonderful world of jazz and fusion and discovered GG on youtube.
Lets worship His Greatness together! Razz
frankus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there! Welcome to the forums.

Have you any photos of your home build? Does the industrial design help any?

I have the power!
Sutibu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does help in terms of form and shape, and I do have some crazy ideas that could be different on an electric guitar (it's not that old an instrument after all), but since it's my first build I decided to keep it fairly simple. I'll upload some photo's when I get home Smile
Sutibu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pretty old picture Smile[/img]
sumis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool! keep 'em coming. tell us more!

that's a beautiful fingerboard you have there. so what will the specs be?

Sutibu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the whole thing is made from scratch, except the tuners and electronics obviously. I'm allowed to work 2.5 hours a week at the workshop which means it takes a really long time to make, but I'm having lots of fun nonetheless.

The fingerboard is a wood called Coromandel in dutch, and I believe the English term is Macassar Ebony. My instructor said it had been lying around for ages, and the guy who had bought it hadn't shown up for seven years or so, so he decided I could have it Smile

The body is standard mahogany with a maple top, which I had to *hand saw* through it's entire length to bookmatch, which took me two full evenings Smile

As you can see the neck has 21 frets, that's because I went for a bolt on fender style neck design w/o angled headstock, and decided that I rarely use those high frets Smile It's supposed to have a 12" radius, but I think it turned out slightly flatter, so bar chords will be a tad bit harder Razz

Right now I've got the neck pocket chiseled out tightly and I've routed one of two humbucker slots. All that remains is routing the other one, the electronics cavity, testing, final sanding and finishing Smile I plan on using a clear acrylic lacquer of some sort, so that you can see the wood grains. The humbuckers put in will be two spare ones I took out of my ibanez arx100 initially. If it sounds & plays good I'll put some dimarzio's in it.

Pray it'll be easy to play Mad
I'll make some more pictures next time and keep you guys posted Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: