Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie and Suhr Hooking Up with Apple!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie and Suhr Hooking Up with Apple!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Guthrie and Suhr Hooking Up with Apple! Reply with quote

Suhr Guitars is teaming up with Apple Inc. for various events in Canada late this month and one of the events will be a clinic featuring Guthrie at Cosmo Music in Toronto on June 30, around 7PM. It's possible that there may even be a master class conducted by Guthrie late afternoon for around 10 students or so before the clinic. At least, that's what Cosmo Music would like to do...

www.cosmomusic.ca

Cosmo Music just opened a new superstore that is absolutely amazing. It looks like a high-end auto dealership or a department store. It has a clinic/concert room with state-of-the-art PA and lighting systems with seating for up to 250 people.

So this clinic will be sponsored by both Suhr and Apple as Guthrie has a MacBook Pro that he uses extensively with the Logic program for recording/sequencing work as well as the MainStage program with the NI Guitar Rig 3 software for live performances with the techno band the Young Punx. Guthrie will also be the main demo person at an Apple product event on July 2 in Montreal where the famous Montreal Jazz Festival kicks off on July 3 and runs through July 6. Suhr will also be displaying guitars and amps at the Apple booth and have guitars connected to Apple computers for demo purposes. Guthrie will be departing Montreal on July 3 for L.A. as he's got a gig at the LA Coliseum on July 4 with Asia for some benefit concert for the troops in Iraq.

Hope to see some of you guys in Toronto on June 30 for the Guthrie clinic! It should be a fun killer event.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
ed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is John Suhr going to be at the clinic in Toronto too?
andyvicius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great news he is hooking up with apple...

the only thing i don't dig is the concert for the benefit of the iraq troops. those military shouldn't be there... that invasion was ilegal.

besides that, i do hope sometime soon he comes to argentina!!!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed wrote:
Is John Suhr going to be at the clinic in Toronto too?

No, John will be on vacation in Hawaii that week. He had the family vacation planned from several months ago (his first in several years) before these events got scheduled (which was just a few weeks ago). If it wasn't for the vacation, he would definitely have attended these events in Canada.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyvicius wrote:
great news he is hooking up with apple...

the only thing i don't dig is the concert for the benefit of the iraq troops. those military shouldn't be there... that invasion was ilegal.

besides that, i do hope sometime soon he comes to argentina!!!

Hey, no political talk here! Wink Just kidding.

Well, the troops didn't make the decision to go there. You know that the huge majority of them would rather not be there and be home with their families. I'm not a Bush fan myself, but the troops are only doing what they're supposed to be doing.

I'm sure Guthrie will eventually make it down to Argentina someday. Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
ed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. It's a very much deserved vacation!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a write-up on Apple's site regarding the July 2 Apple "Power Trio" event in Montreal:

http://www.seminars.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/ASPRegistration.woa/wa/eventDetails?locs=us_en&s=200&eventId=73590

"Power Trio" refers to products and solutions provided by Apple, Euphonix, and Apogee for a complete sequencing and recording solution for musicians of all types. I've got a lot of homework to do myself and I expect to be learning a lot as well through these events. It's obvious that it will be very informative. I can easily envision Guthrie participating in more of these Apple clinics and seminars in the future.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
RD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of external soundinterface does Guthrie use to plug his guitar into?
vgguru39

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the event in Montreal and I drove from Sterling Heights, Michigan (it's like 5 hours one way) and I just wanted to say it was completely worth it. I got to attend both the Masterclass and Clinic and Guthrie couldn't have been nicer. I was blown away by just about everything. I hope you guys can start coming to this area more often. I can't say enough good things.

On a side note. Is there any news on the footage that was taken during the masterclass and clinic? I would pay good money for that.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back yesterday from this trip and am getting back into the flow of things here. Well, the trip was a blast and we had an awful lot of fun with the folks over in Canada and the cool guys at Apple. I'll have photos and tons of more info over the next week or so, but I'll just give you guys a brief (well, somewhat brief) report for now.

The clinic at Cosmo Music in Toronto was a big success. The turnout exceeded everyone's expectations (I'm estimating close to 150). Their new clinic/concert room was filled to the max with an eager crowd chomping at the bits to see Guthrie do his thing. The master class in the early afternoon had 15 students that lasted well over 90 minutes and it seems that everyone got what they were hoping for and more. It wasn't just how Guthrie does this lick or that lick - it was all about the big picture and the more abstract concepts of getting a good tone and varieties of them just with your hands.

Now some guys may have wished for a more instant gratification type of lessons with "secrets" that has 'em doing 32nd note runs and crazy legato licks in a jiffy, but we all know that that's not what Guthrie is all about, right? Wink

Then we did the setup for the clinic in the late afternoon and we got it started with Guthrie starting off with 'Sevens' playing to the backing track and through the MacBook/GR3/MainStage rig. I then joined Guthrie onstage and we went through the different kinds of Suhr guitars through a tube amp set one way so the audience can hear the differences in the woods and the pickups, etc. This aspect of the clinic is as entertaining as the backing track performances: Guthrie just playing the guitar by himself and nailing stuff from country, jazz, blues, classic rock, hard rock, slide, etc.

People just didn't want Guthrie to stop. I looked at the faces of the audience as Guthrie played and they're all in a state of wonder and you can also tell that they're being supremely entertained. It's real music. It's not just hyper speed exercises or cerebral fusion or weird avant-garde kinds of stuff that can easily bore many people to death in a matter of minutes. The audience had a good number of ladies as it seems the guys who really came to see Guthrie brought over their significant others to check out Guthrie as well. And it was obvious that everyone was enjoying it - not just the guitar players.

So the clinic at Cosmo went extremely well. Then it was off to Montreal for the Apple event demonstrating Apple hardware/software along with high-end A/D/A converters and preamps from Apogee and digital controllers and mixers from Euphonix. Considering that the event was held in mid-afternoon of a Wednesday in a hotel ballroom and that most of the people were there to learn something about all this state-of-the-art high-tech gear, the turnout was good (120+). The event had a very minor glitch with the foot controller and Guthrie's guitar sound seemed a little under-mixed (even though it sounded fine during the soundcheck), but Guthrie's portion of the seminar went off great and it was very well received by the audience - most of whom were not there to see Guthrie.

Afterwards, it was Guthrie and me just hanging out in "old Montreal" (a section where it seems they took a portion of Paris, flew it across the ocean and implanted it there), doing some sightseeing and enjoying the local cuisine. Montreal is one very hip city. I really felt at times as though I was in Europe - specifically France. Of course, most people speak French there. So yeah, it was all fun and good. We talked about all kinds of stuff as Guthrie and I actually like to talk about lots of other subjects besides guitars and music.

And we also hung out a lot with the guys at Apple. Apple guys are cool. The guys we're dealing with handle the pro markets (digital photography, digital film, graphic designs, pro audio, etc.) and they really have a great deal of interest in all things that have to do with content and media creation. And, obviously, the guys we were dealing with are huge music fans. They also know the industry very well - both the musical content side (music distribution through iTunes, mainly) and the MI (musical instrument) side as well. It's like this stuff is in the company DNA. You could tell that music is really very important to them.

Hopefully, there'll be some usable media from the Cosmo clinic as that one just came off really well. Guthrie wants to review the video footage first. There'll be many photos taken by the Cosmo staff as well and I'll post 'em as I get 'em. The same goes for the Montreal event. Apple had their video crew for the event but they made it clear that it's for their internal use only. All I can say is that the guys at Apple Canada were absolutely blown away by what Guthrie had to offer and they were just chomping at the bits to spread the word throughout their worldwide organization.

What makes Guthrie ideal for clinics and seminars such as these is that he's a very engaging fellow on stage explaining how he uses the gear besides blowing people's heads off with the virtuosic musical displays. He enjoys talking to the audience and he has a great sense of humor that makes the whole thing fun as well as informative. I've seen many great players try their hand at clinics and they're just not good at it or it seemed that they'd rather be doing something else. Guthrie is obviously a great all-around performer but also a great clinician and I say that bodes well for his relationship with Apple in the future.

Guitar players, including Guthrie and myself (just as an observer/hobbyist and listener), have always been very leery and suspicious of high-tech in the music creating process. As we all know, computer technology just keeps improving at a breakneck pace and we also know we're going to have to adopt it where it makes sense. I think the thing that the guys at Apple made clear is that they're not out to replace what has proven to be tried-and-true but to converge and integrate. For instance, Guthrie could integrate his Cornford half-stack into the Apple Logic/MainStage/GR3/Amplitube setup. It could work as a W/D/W setup or a multiple amp rig for both recording or live use.

The really cool thing is the modularity as well as the upgrade path through new plug-ins and updates to the main software programs. And you still get to keep and play your normal electric guitar and favorite tube amps. You can plug in your "old world" racks and pedalboards as well. I need to study up on those aspects with the folks at Apple as time goes by, but it's really good to know that Apple's mantra on all of this isn't to replace your tube amps with digital modelers but to make all the pieces you need to work together.

Well, that's it for now. More to come... It's an exciting new world and I believe that a precious seed has been planted for some delicious fruits to bear in the future. Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.

Last edited by alexkhan on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RD wrote:
What kind of external soundinterface does Guthrie use to plug his guitar into?

He's been using some MOTU unit, but after hanging out with the main marketing guy at Apogee during the Apple event, I can see Guthrie going in that direction in the future.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that sounds like a real treat, way beyond the typical guitar clinics we're used to.

I just bought a new iMac, and I'm in the process of piecing together the right equipment for recording. It's reassuring to hear that Apple embraces both digital and tube tech.
vgguru39

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news about the footage from the Cosmo Clinic?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
wow, that sounds like a real treat, way beyond the typical guitar clinics we're used to.

I just bought a new iMac, and I'm in the process of piecing together the right equipment for recording. It's reassuring to hear that Apple embraces both digital and tube tech.

Apple's smart. They're not interested in replacing our beloved all-wood guitars, all-tube amplifiers and all-analog stomp boxes. They want to offer options that can be integrated with what we already have and also allow the Mac to control the rig with MainStage. So the cool thing is that Guthrie can play his Suhr guitars through the Cornford amps with his pedalboard and have the MacBook Pro become part of a sophisticated Wet/Dry/Wet or multi-amp rig or just have it control the rig as a switching system.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vgguru39 wrote:
Any news about the footage from the Cosmo Clinic?

I'm on their tail about it as well! Wink I'll keep you posted.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: