Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Od/dist pedal
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Od/dist pedal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakeguitar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Od/dist pedal Reply with quote

Hi, i play through a line 6 flextone and use an ibanez rg 560 with HSS formation and i play through moderatley hi gain sound but when i switch to the neck pickup the sound naturally gets thinner, does anyone know a pedal to boost the gain on my neck/middle pickup?
greenfingers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First you should make sure that the single coils are set to there optimum height for output without getting and wolf notes, if the output from the single coils is still to much of a drop in volume and tone you my want to look into changing the pickups to better match the humbucker, But if you like the sound of the single coils and just want to boots them have a look at the "Xotic RC or AC booster. These two pedals will leave your core sound untouched but gives it a fuller sound.
jakeguitar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, ive been looking at demos and i also watched one of the BB preamp, that seemed like the best of the three, what do you think?
greenfingers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's the one you like then you should get it, or try one out, I pointed the other two out because they are the most transparent of the three. i think the name RC stands for really clean & AC stands for almost clean. so the BB probably stands for "big boost". Go with the one You think dose the job your looking for.
sumis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the xotic pedals are all good (i love my bb, which is more of an overdrive), but your problem should not be solved with a boost pedal. if the volume drop between pickups is too radical, you either need to set the guitar up correctly or get new pickups (singles or hum or all of them).

the 'problem' (doesn't mean ther have to be anything wrong with the axe, just that it's not to your likin) is obviously coming from the guitar, so that's where to fix it.

stepping on a boost pedal everytim you use the neck pickup is off course allowed, if it works for you and if it sounds great. but check out other solutions. if you have stock pickups in your (otherwise great rg 560), you should change them anyway. ...

just my 2 cents.

jakeguitar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not that im losing volume its just that the sound weakens kinda, its hard to describe, but it sounds crappy when sweep pick or tap using it, but thanks for the suggestion
ArroyoMusic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Od/dist pedal Reply with quote

jakeguitar wrote:
Hi, i play through a line 6 flextone and use an ibanez rg 560 with HSS formation and i play through moderatley hi gain sound but when i switch to the neck pickup the sound naturally gets thinner, does anyone know a pedal to boost the gain on my neck/middle pickup?
I really like the sound of the Boss SD-1 before the distortion, whether amp or pedal distortion. I posted a clip on youTube here>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDx9dc0eiYc

You can skip the talking and go straight to 3:20. Nothing revolutionary or anything. Just Demoing the DS-1 distortion and the SD-1. Hope this helps.

-Arroyo-
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:
the xotic pedals are all good (i love my bb, which is more of an overdrive), but your problem should not be solved with a boost pedal. if the volume drop between pickups is too radical, you either need to set the guitar up correctly or get new pickups (singles or hum or all of them).

the 'problem' (doesn't mean ther have to be anything wrong with the axe, just that it's not to your likin) is obviously coming from the guitar, so that's where to fix it.

stepping on a boost pedal everytim you use the neck pickup is off course allowed, if it works for you and if it sounds great. but check out other solutions. if you have stock pickups in your (otherwise great rg 560), you should change them anyway. ...

just my 2 cents.

Get's my vote... I've changed the stock pickups in every guitar I have except the Suhr Cool

I never get the impression that pickups are balanced that well by most manufacturers ... it's an art... guaging vibration at the neck and bridge and equating that to a number of turns on a coil or a beefier pole piece - then there's consistency in production.

Personally I'd swap the middle pickup for a sustainer and put a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge. I'd probably put a stacked HB in the neck... but I don't play shred guitars so my opinion is invalidated Wink

I have the power!
greenfingers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
I've changed the stock pickups in every guitar I have except the Suhr Cool

I've done the same as frankus, I think i'll leave the pickups in on this one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: