Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Worthwhile DVD's or Books
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Worthwhile DVD's or Books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GuitarGod

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Worthwhile DVD's or Books Reply with quote

yo. 15 year old guitarist here. Just wondering if there are any dvd's or books you guys would recommend for anything, whether it be over theory or alternate picking.
wuc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Worthwhile DVD's or Books Reply with quote

GuitarGod wrote:
yo. 15 year old guitarist here. Just wondering if there are any dvd's or books you guys would recommend for anything, whether it be over theory or alternate picking.

Seeing as you're here...Guthrie's Creative Guitar 1 + 2!
sumis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Worthwhile DVD's or Books Reply with quote

wuc wrote:
Seeing as you're here...Guthrie's Creative Guitar 1 + 2!

+1

scott henderson's two dvd's

ted greene's books.

and of course, the book that taught frankus how to stop global warming: wayne krantz' _an improviser's os_ .

frankus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say Ted Greene's Modern Chord Progressions book.
Advancing Guitarist by Mick Goodrick.
Creative Guitar 1 and 2 by Guthrie Govan.
Hot Country by Lee Hodgson.

I'll see Sumi's Improvisers OS and raise you a Jimmy Bruno - No nonsense jazz DVD.

I have the power!
GuitarGod

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh. i got the guthrie books. (i mean, afters seeing the guy play who wouldn't get em?) and what about a book/dvd for learning theory? i have berklee's modern method....just haven't gotten around to it yet. haha
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't fall into the trap of buying loads of theory books and doing nothing with them... not least of all cos that's my trap and I've made it all cosy - the last thing I want to do is share it Wink

What do you want to get from theory?

I have the power!
GuitarGod

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. you know, i never really thought about what i want to learn from theory. i mean, i want to learn the skills to be able to compose music as the likes of vai. and be able to improvise like guthrie, making melodies and stuff as i play, all while knowing what i'm doing instead of semi random notes that i know will sound a certain way but not knowing anything behind the notes.
frankus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you want to be transcribing things, then figuring it out.

If you start with a song you know, work out your favourite licks. What chords they're played with, how the notes relate to the chord.

The Jimmy Bruno DVD and Krantz book do that.

Guthrie's book covers diatonic theory, keys and such and gives a good grounding in terms people use.

It's far faster to listen to tunes and transcribe and understand, than tackle music theory and try it all. Keep what you need and let your ears decide.

If you're playing technically demanding stuff - remember let your ears decide, even if it took you 50 hours to get that lick down, if your ears say na-ah, listen to them.

I have the power!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: