Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie is one of the scariest guitar players alive!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie is one of the scariest guitar players alive!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve snider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Guthrie is one of the scariest guitar players alive! Reply with quote

I mean that in a very good way!! For those that have not seen the live DVD of Guthrie with his Jazz/funk/Fusion band-you are in for a treat.

I have watched it about 20 times and am still disturbed each and every time I see it. The guy is soooo good its sick. The lines and speedat which he is executing them at are so musical and so cool. The sax player is trying to keep up on a lot of it as Guthrie is capable of doing stuff on guitar that is not only technically great but full of substance.

I met Guthrie at Tone merchants once and he is the most humble guy I have met. Very down to earth.

I am happy to see a page devoted to one of my modern guitar heros David and thanks for creating another great forum. Guthrie deserves it. He is in good company with some of the other boards you have going.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Guthrie is one of the scariest guitar players alive! Reply with quote

steve snider wrote:
I mean that in a very good way!! For those that have not seen the live DVD of Guthrie with his Jazz/funk/Fusion band-you are in for a treat.

I have watched it about 20 times and am still disturbed each and every time I see it. The guy is soooo good its sick. The lines and speedat which he is executing them at are so musical and so cool. The sax player is trying to keep up on a lot of it as Guthrie is capable of doing stuff on guitar that is not only technically great but full of substance.

I met Guthrie at Tone merchants once and he is the most humble guy I have met. Very down to earth.

I am happy to see a page devoted to one of my modern guitar heros David and thanks for creating another great forum. Guthrie deserves it. He is in good company with some of the other boards you have going.

Steve, do you remember telling me about Guthrie before that party in '03 when you brought over your Divided By 13 FTR-37? Guthrie made that party absolutely unforgettable. As you said, it's not just the chops, but the substance that totally blew me away.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Guthrie is one of the scariest guitar players alive! Reply with quote

steve snider wrote:
He is in good company with some of the other boards you have going.

Except for Johnny A, perhaps? Wink Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Guthrie is one of the scariest guitar players alive! Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
steve snider wrote:

Please let's not go down that road again! Shocked
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jazz/ fusion DVD just killed me! I was totally knocked out by the lines and that Guthrie technique in that setting. The Sax player was a great player too. He comes out plays the head and then plays some killer lines and then Guthrie takes it to another level with both lines and dexterity ....and like Henderson type lines too... Not the typical shredder scale lines.

How does he do that? I was blown away...still am!!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Guthrie is one of the scariest guitar players alive! Reply with quote

kirk95 wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
steve snider wrote:

Please let's not go down that road again! Shocked

Okay, we won't. I listened to the Johnny A clips and thought the stuff sounded pretty good. Nice tones and tasteful phrasing. Totally different kind of a thing.

I love players like Gilmour, BB King, Clapton as well as monster players like Guthrie, Lane, Henderson, etc. There is room for all kinds of stuff to be enjoyed by all. Smile
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
fingerprinz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice place y'all got here...

Only thing scarier than Guthrie on those DVD's is Guthrie live & in person.

Watching his fingers move over that fretboard & hearing the end result is puzzling, inspiring, frustrating to the point of exasperation (as a player trying to cop some of those licks)....all in all just jaw-dropping.

Can't wait to see him again!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirk95 wrote:
The jazz/ fusion DVD just killed me! I was totally knocked out by the lines and that Guthrie technique in that setting. The Sax player was a great player too. He comes out plays the head and then plays some killer lines and then Guthrie takes it to another level with both lines and dexterity ....and like Henderson type lines too... Not the typical shredder scale lines.

How does he do that? I was blown away...still am!!

Yeah, I can't stop watching that video either. As I always try to tell people, LISTEN TO THE LINES! Don't focus on the technique and just looking at his fingers. Listen to him as though you are listening to a piano or a sax player. I feel guitarists tend to focus too much on the application of techniques and try to visualize what a player's fingers are doing more than the ideas that produce the music.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
kirk95
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:

Yeah, I can't stop watching that video either. As I always try to tell people, LISTEN TO THE LINES! Don't focus on the technique and just looking at his fingers. Listen to him as though you are listening to a piano or a sax player. I feel guitarists tend to focus too much on the application of techniques and try to visualize what a player's fingers are doing more than the ideas that produce the music.

I couldn't agree more. You can get out of that by listening to other instruments - it forces you to hear the phrasing and the lines without regards to the guitar fingerings.

Apparently Govan has because at times his phrasing and lines are very horn like - sax like - not human - and so on........ Laughing
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross-posting from another site:

Quote:

Ed, just to let you know, I have received both the Fellowship CD and DVD some days ago. This is great stuff, the whole band is smoking , not only Guthrie by the way.

Govan is obviously playing really well on that, though I have to say that in this context I prefer hearing him play in a jazzier way, it bothers me a bit when he plays some shred licks (even if they are very well executed and do not sound like standard stuff) on jazz or funky jazz grooves. I feel that he has a very interesting phrasing when he plays in a jazzier vein, so I am kind of frustated when the tapping thing rears its head Smile

Anyway, this is some great stuff, I have not finished viewing the whole DVD yet, so I still have some nice stuff to discover I guess.
By the way, I like his tone a lot, the Cornford sounds great imo.
As regards to the DVD compatibility : the DVD you have sent me is Mac formatted, which could be the reason why it cannot be read in standard DVD players. I have extracted the files from this DVD and burnt a new one to the standard DVD video format and it runs fine ( there are no chapters though, which is drag , but could be easily fixed by editing the files ). Maybe you have figured all that anyway Smile
Thanks for your efforts Ed and for sharing this music, Govan can only be pleased by your support.

Hey Olric, glad you got the CD and somehow got the DVD to play. I've got a few guys working on burning it to a standard format but haven't gotten it done yet, so you're apparently the first one to succeed! Glad you're enjoying the stuff.

Regarding the shred licks in the jazz/funk format on the DVD, yeah, I agree that he's overplaying a little too much here and there, but I think it was just another night in an old bassment bar they play every week and they're letting loose. I do think that he'd do it somewhat differently in a real "pro" format where the environment was different.

But at the same time, I do think that part of it has to do with our perception of what's applied on a given piece of music. When I really listen to what he's doing, it's the sequence of notes that matters, not the applied techniques with a distorted rock sound. I do agree with you, though, that some of the hyper speed licks are very rock/shred oriented (i.e., diatonic scalar based) and do sound somewhat out of place at times, but I also think some fit in fine when trading fast licks with the sax player. The way I see it, they're just having fun and letting loose in the local bar where people are tolerant of whatever the band wants to play and actually encourage them to just go all out.

Guthrie advised me that he sent me the DVD as a little gift to me and thought that it'd be "Ed's Secret DVD" and wasn't expecting that it'd make the rounds. He says he's stunned that some of the guys are enjoying it so much especially considering all the "gaffes" (especially the part where things go "horribly wrong" on where he uses the Whammy pedal which he blames on "a little too many beers" Laughing ). It's really a momento of another night at the bar and the guys just having fun and, yes, wanking off. Laughing It's really for hardcore guitar fanatics and I really don't think he'd play like that if it was going to be a "pro" production for mass consumption. But check out the whole thing. Near the end, he does a country thing that'd be right at home in a Nashville club.Shocked

But I will certainly pass the word along to Guthrie. I hope the sax player, Zak Barrett, can also come along for the NAMM festivities and do the Fellowship material here in January along with his more rock/shred-oriented solo stuff. It'd be awesome if he could do a set of around 45 minutes to an hour doing his rock solo stuff and then do another set of same length of the Fellowship stuff in a little more "controlled" manner. Wink

The new Asia album "Silent Nation" should be coming out anytime now. Some people who have listened to the pre-release copy say his playing on it is more like Blackmore and Gilmour with a bit of Gary Moore thrown in. I say, cool...Cool Three of my old classic rock favorites whom I could never tire of... I was never a fan of Asia although I did see the original lineup (Howe, Palmer, Wetton, and Downes) play live in the early-80's. Not my cup of tea at all... But it's a good gig for him and now I hear he has more input on the band's creative process and that this new album is more rocking with more prevalent guitars instead of just fluffy pop keyboards. Should be much more interesting now with Guthrie putting his stamp on the band's overall sound.

Guthrie's still a young lad molding his own voice and style. He's not a kid, but he's no veteran by any stretch of the means either. He's going to evolve and get better and better. Not so much technically (although I'm sure he's still pushing himself in that realm as well), but as a stylist with his own voice in whatever genres he plays in. That's what I find so exciting about him. He's got another 30~40 years ahead of him as an extremely talented musician who will constantly evolve and we really can't even begin to imagine where those years will take him and his musical directions.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guthrie is the most well-rounded guitarist i've ever seen or heard. and yeah, he plays real music, not wank for the sake of wanking. just incredible. yeah, he's scary alright! Shocked cool to know that a guy with such talent is humble and down to earth. can't wait for the solo album. thanks a lot for getting this board started. i'm sure it will get HUGE!
Doctor Jazz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case you guys are interested, the lineup of The Bassment Band (aka The Fellowship or The Fellowship of Funk) is:

Zak Barrett: Saxophones
Guthrie Govan: Guitars
Seth Govan: Bass
John Dutton: Keyboards
Pete Riley: Drums

They have a weekly residency at The Bassment Club in Chelmsford on Thursday evenings.
WYNIR0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor Jazz wrote:
Just in case you guys are interested, the lineup of The Bassment Band (aka The Fellowship or The Fellowship of Funk) is:

Zak Barrett: Saxophones
Guthrie Govan: Guitars
Seth Govan: Bass
John Dutton: Keyboards
Pete Riley: Drums

They have a weekly residency at The Bassment Club in Chelmsford on Thursday evenings.

Saw them play the Cornford club about a year ago, WOW. Cool Cool

And you can show restraint and good taste

Then you my boy will be a man. - Thing, hitting the nail on the head - July'04.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: