Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - The Upcoming Guthrie Signature Modern
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Upcoming Guthrie Signature Modern
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warson98

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sure he would make a Crate practice amp sound good... Awesome to know about the Hellcat though. I'll have to have a listen to some audio clips, I'm torn between the Cornford amps and a few other companies.
warson98

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any way to tell us the price of the new guitar Ed?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warson98 wrote:
any way to tell us the price of the new guitar Ed?

Will have it finalized in the coming week, but I can say that the US list price will be around $5200, which means the street price will be in between $3600~3700. Not cheap, I know, but this is all about premium materials, components and workmanship - the very best possible.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One cool unexpected feature of this guitar is the Blower switch which essentially gives you a whole new sound - kind of like getting another pickup on the guitar. The Blower switch makes the bridge humbucker (SSH+) bypass all the circuitries in the guitar (the volume pot, the tone pot and the 5-way), so the humbucker is louder with more top end than with the Blower switch unengaged and the the pickup in the "normal" mode. You can A/B the Blower-engaged humbucker and the unengaged by setting the 5-way on bridge position and everything turned up and I'd say the Blower-engaged mode is about 5~7% hotter and brighter.

It's a real cool bonus. For instance, you can have the tone knob turned down to around 5 (or less) for a smoother bridge humbucker sound and that "woman tone" neck humbucker sound and then engage the Blower for a raw bright and loud bridge humbucker for three very distinctive humbucker sounds at your fingertips, making this very versatile instrument even more versatile and flexible. This wasn't something that Guthrie and I were even expecting when we proceeded with the Blower switch. Now you have 7 very usable sounds that are quickly accessible via the 5-way, the Blower switch and the push-push tone knob for splitting the neck humbucker. Cool
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
warson98

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the options and all the materials used... I am very impressed with that price. i'll be ordering one very very soon Very Happy
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warson98 wrote:
for the options and all the materials used... I am very impressed with that price. i'll be ordering one very very soon Very Happy

Yeah, this would definitely be the Modern I'd want to take home. The slightly beefier neck shape (.800-.850) also turned out to be a pleasant bonus. We weren't sure how adding .020" to the original slimmer .780-.830 shape would make much of a difference, but it's noticeable and it's just what the doctor ordered - more girth where you want it, especially when doing string bends and you want to feel more wood underneath your hand. Also, from a tonal perspective, a little more wood is certainly preferable over less wood. Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Cass679

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice stuff Ed! Thanks for the info!

Really looking forward to hearing/seeing this guitar in action, whether that may be up close, DVD, CD or on a good quality Youtube vid, it definitely sounds like an absolutely awesome guitar!

Although it's going to be a while before I can afford such a monstrously amazing instrument, I'll hope to be saving sometime in the future or one! Very Happy

Anyways, thanks again Ed for the info, looking forward to hearing more soon! Cool Very Happy
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure this guitar will be all over Guthrie's next album. Guthrie hopes to set aside some time this year to record it and I think we can reasonably expect that it won't take as long as the first one to come out. Wink He'll have more Suhr axes (as well as more Cornford amps) in his arsenal for the recording sessions. Since the EC album, he has added the Swamp Ash Classic T, another Root Beer Standard, the Mercedes Blue Modern, and now the GG Sig model. That's a lot more sounds he can play with for the new materials.

I really think this GG Sig guitar transcends the typical signature model guitar, especially since Suhr is mainly about custom guitars anyway. For instance, that first Root Beer Standard is something I spec'd out for myself and it turned out to be the first Guthrie Suhr guitar. Then I spec'd out another one that is basically the same guitar but with Mahogany wood and reverse headstock and that became his main axe for a good long while. Then Guthrie got the Classic and the Classic T to add the ideal "Strat" and "Tele" to his arsenal and then the Modern became his two-HB and Floyd-equipped "shred" axe, which developed into the basis on which to build the culmination of everything that came before.

It's not so much a GG guitar than a great all-around instrument that could cover a variety of musical styles and sounds with its own distinctive sound , feel and playability. Visually, it's all about fine woods - the best that the world has to offer: Honduras Mahogany, Bolivian Rosewood (Pau Ferro) and highly figured Flame Maple from northeast North America. It's built for speed and for great playability with low action (Plek job), stainless steel jumbo frets, and 16" fretboard radius but also with superbly rich tone in mind so that you really hear the woods. Of course, this doesn't apply just to the GG model but all custom Suhr instruments. The GG model is what we settled on after Guthrie's experience with various Suhr guitars over nearly 5 years, but it's something that could just as easily have been spec'd out by anyone else.

As mentioned many times before, Guthrie isn't fussy about things like the neck shape or the fingerboard radius and other fine details. To this day, he has never specified any particular pickups over another. I just write them in on the spec sheet and he doesn't say anything, so I just assume all's okay! Laughing I even asked if he wanted any pickups custom wound for him and we could have the GG model pickup or something like that but he just said all sounds great as they are, so why try to "improve" something that already sounds great? I tell ya, Guthrie sure makes it easy for us! Laughing Anyway, some more thoughts about this great new guitar. It's new and it's the GG Sig model with new features like the Blower switch, Tremol-No, and a new neck shape (since I know that Guthrie likes thick necks like the Big V on his T), but it's just a great instrument in its own right. Still, we do have to agree that the fact that it's now Guthrie's main guitar makes it that much more special. Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
greenfingers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
I'm sure this guitar will be all over Guthrie's next album. Guthrie hopes to set aside some time this year to record it and I think we can reasonably expect that it won't take as long as the first one to come out. Wink

Ed,..... you've just made my day. Very Happy Knowing that Guthrie intends to have some down time to get a new album recorded fills me with joy and that feeling you get when you were a kid when Christmas day to comes.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the first "official" high-resolution photo of the GG Signature Model Modern from Suhr. There'll be more photos later in the Suhr online .Me photo gallery over the next few days.

.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
frankus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people Rolling Eyes - stop reading, go back and bask in it's goodness some more Very Happy

I have the power!
DonkeyOT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: guitar Reply with quote

Please o please ship the guitar!!! I ordered the GG from a dealer who got me one of the protos... and I am just going nuts to get the guitar. All these pics ... the youtube vid of the Guthrie through the od100 se+ ... COME ON!!!! lol Smile

Just so excited the guitar looks AWESOME!

D
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are more close-up pics of the GG Modern. This one's signed by Guthrie himself!

http://gallery.me.com/suhrguitars#101020
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
fuzzyduck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here it is, in all it's glory.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb4/fuzzyduck55/100_2304.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb4/fuzzyduck55/100_2296.jpg
jordan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzyduck wrote:
Well, here it is, in all it's glory.
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb4/fuzzyduck55/100_2296.jpg

Is that a gig-bag?!
C'mon Ed - you could at least have given him a hardcase Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: