Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Getting near Guthries tone
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting near Guthries tone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nils

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Getting near Guthries tone Reply with quote

Hey,
I just recently discovered Guthrie for me and well he changed my perspective on music quite a bit. Up to this day I've never been a fan of the strat type of sound, but listening to all of Guthries vids on youtube and to his Erotic Cakes album I must say I kind of fell in love with it. Since I'm not familiar with all the different types of strats out there, I just wanted to ask if you could recommend me some models in the lower price range sounding somewhat (!) similar to the ones Guthrie plays. I know there are so many factors making Guthrie sound like he does, but I don't want to copy anything (if this is possible), just have a this very sweet typical strat sound! I hope you get my point, I haven't posted in an english forum for quite some time;)!
thanks, nils
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nils,

What kind of price point are you looking at for a decent Strat? I'm sure you can find a pretty nice MIM Strat that'd be in the $500 range or less. The thing is you'll probably want to try a bunch and find one that resonates really well acoustically and just plays and feels good in your hands. It may take a while, but it's worth the effort because there are some gems amongst the mass-produced lot. Once you find one you like, you can replace the pickups with the Suhr V60LP's that Guthrie is using and you should be stylin'. Smile
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
shred87

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie's tone ??? you need this....

I have bougth them on February....amazing tone and fast respons...ideal for virtuoso playing .... I play them with a prs custom 24 ....
sumis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Hi Nils,

What kind of price point are you looking at for a decent Strat? I'm sure you can find a pretty nice MIM Strat that'd be in the $500 range or less. The thing is you'll probably want to try a bunch and find one that resonates really well acoustically and just plays and feels good in your hands. It may take a while, but it's worth the effort because there are some gems amongst the mass-produced lot. Once you find one you like, you can replace the pickups with the Suhr V60LP's that Guthrie is using and you should be stylin'. Smile

+1. take your time to go through as many you can. i really did this over three months when i was actively strat hunting on a daily basis. i played sooo many fenders, and the inconsistency really surprised me. i mean, all similar guitars are different since they are made out of wood, but here there was also obvious quality inconsistencys and a very high unpredictability factor.

so, i played every strat i could get my hands on. from cheapo mim to custom shop and some serious vintage stuff. the most consistent model i found was the eric johnson strat. all of the ones i tried where good (four of them i think). the best strat i played wa a -62 reissue with a very good pro setup, and the best bargain i found was a lovely japan strat with some mods on it. none of the custo shop models felt right to me (although mostly good sounding). vintage guitars are as hit and miss as anything.

i went through A LOT of guitars.

if you want to buy a new strat i'd recommend a g&l. best strats i've played in that price range!

just my 2 cents, and of course based on personal preferences.

Nils

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,
thanks for your help! I played some strats recently which I liked, but there are just too many models to choose from. Looks like it will really take some time to find the right one! thanks again, nils
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: