Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Tone to play Guthrie Govan's Eric song?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tone to play Guthrie Govan's Eric song?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrés

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Tone to play Guthrie Govan's Eric song? Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new in this forum, and i wanted to ask, if someone please could help me to get something close to Guthrie's tone in this song, which is quite special. Also, does he use a sustainer or simply his guitar has a great sustain?
I have an ibanez RG, and a Boss GT10.
Thanks for the help.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Tone to play Guthrie Govan's Eric song? Reply with quote

Andrés wrote:
Hello, I'm new in this forum, and i wanted to ask, if someone please could help me to get something close to Guthrie's tone in this song, which is quite special. Also, does he use a sustainer or simply his guitar has a great sustain?
I have an ibanez RG, and a Boss GT10.
Thanks for the help.

Hi Andres,

Welcome to the GG Forum! Very Happy

Regarding the tone on 'Eric,' for one, he's using a slide for the main verse melodies. What kind of amp are you using?

It also sounds like he's using the neck humbucker (or bridge humbucker with the tone rolled down somewhat) on his Mahogany body/neck Suhr Standard with the gain fairly high on the amp (around 7) with the mids turned way up.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be able to get pretty close. Remember - the tone is in your hands. Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Andrés

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot!
At the moment I'm using a Laney LV300Twin, but i have a Roland Jazz Chorus. I didn't mention the amp because for the moment i'll just record the song or maybe make a video, trough the GT-10.
So i guess it's just the slide and a good distortion, for a moment i tough he maybe used an effect or something, thanks a lot!
There are no videos of him playing it right? i looked but i didn't find anything, you know, to make a better transcription it's always good to see how he does it.
Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: