Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Cables
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cables

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antonis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Cables Reply with quote

does anyone know what are the main differences between a cheap and an expensive cable? i mean obviously cheaper ones tend to be more noisy, but do they change anything about your sound?

also do you know what cables is guthrie using :3
PGA n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

every cable has a slightly different sound

also the cable length plays a role...

this is mostly because of the capacitance of a cable, basically the two wires in the cable running side by side act like a condenser, which will cut off more treble the longer the cable...
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a decent, mid priced cable, and make sure it's as short as you can get away with, and you'll be fine.

passive guitar pups are basically designed for the capacitance a cable gives you. if the cable is too short and has very low capacitance, the guitar might sound overly bright and respond differently.

a too long cable makes the signal dull.

but yes. there are notable differennces between some cables. if those differences always entitles the price of the cable is up to you.

a few hours of practicing vibrato will make more of a difference than most cable swaps. but there's no reason for using bad cables.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mogami 2524 is the cable of choice for John Suhr, Scott Henderson, and some other discriminating ears. I haven't tried it myself. I like the Evidence Audio Lyric HG cable but I don't think cables are as big of a deal as some people make 'em out to be. John and Scott don't care for low-capacitance cables like the EA and other high-end "boutique" cables. Personally, I really don't care anymore. Not sure what cables Guthrie is using these days. Can't tell from the photos but I'm sure they're decent. I think the thing that most people are concerned with is reliability. You just don't want cables crapping out on you during a gig.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: