Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Chords
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chords
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Travis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Chords Reply with quote

I know this would be a lot to ask, but I was wondering if anyone could provide some chords (prefferably with tabs) to some of Guthrie's songs. The reason I ask, is because I'd like to learn the rhythm to Guthrie's songs and start soloing over them aswell. I don't really want to use tabs to learn the "vocal" guitar parts I guess you could say, of Guthrie's songs. Thanks!

Also, if you have any cool chord bits, progressions, or just cool chords, send em! I'm just discovering the magic of chords and I'd love to see what you guys have. If you have the possible chord names, it'd be helpful too!
Travis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Video Lessons Reply with quote

Also, I'd like to add that if any of you know of some good video lessons that are chord oriented without getting into too too much mumbo-jumbo it would be much appreciated. Or least, if the video goes into detail, it does so thoroughly and doesn't just expect you to know...
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Video Lessons Reply with quote

Travis wrote:
mumbo-jumbo

Confused
Travis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Video Lessons Reply with quote

MissMisstreater wrote:
Travis wrote:
mumbo-jumbo

Confused

Well you know what I mean, when a guitar teacher just assumes that you know exactly what a "DbmSus7" (I just made that up, don't know if it exists) is and they just brush over any relevant information about it because it's second nature to them. I find that theory-types like to complicate things to make themselves seem smart, when they could simplify everything and be so much better of a teacher.
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

then it just became apparent to me that you want all the sophistication without ANY of the understanding....

not going to happen

i mean, if you dont want any of the theory, why do you need help? just put you hands on the neck in funny patterns

tbh, i think your on the wrong message board if you want to run before you can walk...

maybe rich ward has a message board... (for all you RXboard users Laughing )
Travis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissMisstreater wrote:
then it just became apparent to me that you want all the sophistication without ANY of the understanding....

not going to happen

i mean, if you dont want any of the theory, why do you need help? just put you hands on the neck in funny patterns

tbh, i think your on the wrong message board if you want to run before you can walk...

maybe rich ward has a message board... (for all you RXboard users Laughing )

Um, I don't think you understand what I'm saying at all. What I said what that I don't want a sophisticated answer, unless your going to explain it thoroughly. I don't know how you got the opposite out of my post.

DbmSus7 = sophisticated, without explanation

"if the video goes into detail, it does so thoroughly and doesn't just expect you to know..."
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but surely by saying you dont know if a Dbmsus7 exists or not, you show that you dont know any theory

if you want to learn, great

sadly there isnt one single video that will cover it, i did a video on jazzlines for the racerXclassroom, and wanted to quickly go over what a ii-V-I was, i went through all the theory, step by step, and ended up doing just as much on chords as i did on lines. and i STILL got told that noone really understood about the chords.

my philosophy as a teacher is that knowledge is built on SOLID foundations. Sadly this beans taking everything back to "basics" and if your a fan of fusion then it will sound very 'sterile'

Start with triads in a key, you should be able to list the triads in any key, (and know which ones are maj min and dim)

before you progress onto the 4 note chords you need to really get all the 3 note posiblities, so next you need to look into suspended triads, and the augmented triad too.

then 4 note chords

then extended chords

THEN non diatonic (or chromatic) movement

and btw...there isnt a Dbmsus7 chord... (sus means instead of the 3rd, so you cant REALLY have a minor sus chord...)
the chord you named would have the 1,b3,4,5,b7.... so Dbm11 (also contains all notes of the pentatonic scale)
markmcg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Video Lessons Reply with quote

Travis wrote:
when a guitar teacher just assumes that you know exactly what a "DbmSus7" (I just made that up, don't know if it exists) is and they just brush over any relevant information about it because it's second nature to them. I find that theory-types like to complicate things to make themselves seem smart, when they could simplify everything and be so much better of a teacher.

IMO A teacher should hopefully gauge the understanding/level of their students so to never assume certain knowledge and explain where necessary. Also students hopefully shouldn't be afraid to ask questions Smile

In video lessons though, time is premium so sometimes an assumption is made about the audience having a certain level of theory knowledge.

Don't know of any videos off the top of my head, I assume you've had a search on youtube? Videos on harmonizing scales etc.

BTW If you're interested in checking out chords, I'm currently running a Chord Of The Week thing on twitter at http://www.twitter.com/mastertheguitar Just little posts with a chord in ascii and recent posts have a pic for fingering info.

Time is the best Teacher, unfortunately it kills all its students
http://www.mastertheguitar.co.uk : http://www.markmcguigan.com
Travis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissMisstreater wrote:
but surely by saying you dont know if a Dbmsus7 exists or not, you show that you dont know any theory

if you want to learn, great

sadly there isnt one single video that will cover it, i did a video on jazzlines for the racerXclassroom, and wanted to quickly go over what a ii-V-I was, i went through all the theory, step by step, and ended up doing just as much on chords as i did on lines. and i STILL got told that noone really understood about the chords.

my philosophy as a teacher is that knowledge is built on SOLID foundations. Sadly this beans taking everything back to "basics" and if your a fan of fusion then it will sound very 'sterile'

Start with triads in a key, you should be able to list the triads in any key, (and know which ones are maj min and dim)

before you progress onto the 4 note chords you need to really get all the 3 note posiblities, so next you need to look into suspended triads, and the augmented triad too.

then 4 note chords

then extended chords

THEN non diatonic (or chromatic) movement

and btw...there isnt a Dbmsus7 chord... (sus means instead of the 3rd, so you cant REALLY have a minor sus chord...)
the chord you named would have the 1,b3,4,5,b7.... so Dbm11 (also contains all notes of the pentatonic scale)

Now see, you gave me some good info there, but you delivered it in such a way that makes you seem "oh so smart" and arrogant. You could have explained that to begin with, instead of putting me down. I can know 'some' theory and still not know whether that chord exists. Being spoken to as if I were a child, doesn't help on building SOLID foundations you ass. I don't even want your help anymore.
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree markmcg

a good teacher will pick up on a students needs, and a good student will ask questions

theres no substitute for a good teacher

theres only so much you can get in life for free, sadly good tuition is not one of those things

Wink

Travis, sadly a better attitude towards the ONLY person that has taken ANY time to help you is also something you cant have for free...or at all apparently
Travis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate you taking your time to try and help me, but I don't appreciate your latent arrogance in the delivery. You're a good example of what I didn't want in a teacher.

You didn't even touch on my initial post, or give me any chords.
digitalkettle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis wrote:
You didn't even touch on my initial post, or give me any chords.

'Teach a man to fish' dude Wink

How about the intro to 'Fives':
Am11 (x-x-5-5-3-3)

Or the basic chords to the main progression in 'Wonderful Slippery Thing':
Bm7 (7-9-7-7-7-7)
D7 (10-12-10-11-10-10)
Gmaj7 (x-10-12-11-12-10)
F#7 (x-9-11-9-11-12)

*all fingerings are mere suggestions

Btw, take it easy on the regulars...you only just got here!
Both the other posters in this thread do a respectable amount of Guthrie transcription work...you might need them someday Cool
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digitalkettle wrote:

respectable amount of Guthrie transcription work

Surprised

ill have you know iv nearly finished the WHOLE erotic cakes album!! and iv done some of the fellowship CD Wink

lol, thanks tho, i appreciate the recognition Embarassed
digitalkettle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissMisstreater wrote:
Surprised

ill have you know iv nearly finished the WHOLE erotic cakes album!! and iv done some of the fellowship CD Wink

lol, thanks tho, i appreciate the recognition Embarassed

Hey, I see all...I'm just the master of understatement Wink
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an reaching for the uncommon chord Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: