Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Your approach to improvisation
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your approach to improvisation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcgraham

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Your approach to improvisation Reply with quote

When playing along to and improvising over a piece (be it a backing track, an actual record, in a jam band or your own band), what is your approach to your improv and your note choices?

Generally I think in terms of 'what note(s) do I want to hear next', and very much in terms of the shape and feel of an improvised line, but that's ultimately down to my preference and what I'm digging the sound of at that time.

For example, (at least at the moment) I'm a big fan of chromaticism and the flavour and shape these impart. I'm also a fan of extended arpeggios, particularly unusual ones. I tend to splice arpeggios in as I like the more '3D' and dynamic shape they add to my improvs. I'm not a huge fan of pentatonics and prefer to use scale fragments instead. So, when improvising I'll tend have a liberal dose of approach notes, often moving chromatically between target notes, and getting some more 'movement' using arpeggios.

What is your approach to improv? I'd be interested to hear what you like to do with your playing.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: