Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Suhr-Guthrie European Clinic Tour
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suhr-Guthrie European Clinic Tour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markmcg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ed!

Didn't know the details for the Newcastle leg of the tour.

Even though I have my 'ticket' for the Newcastle Masterclass and clinic woohoo! Very Happy

Time is the best Teacher, unfortunately it kills all its students
http://www.mastertheguitar.co.uk : http://www.markmcguigan.com
Edovinus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Edovinus wrote:
Definitely will be attending in The Netherlands! Looking forward to it!!!

Looking forward to seeing you there, Edo! Very Happy

Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing you there too! Smile It's great that you guys are coming over here.
Shep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just say that the Newcastle masterclass ones are sold out. Travelled down to GuitarGuitar in Newcastle this afternoon as it said on their website that there was still 12 tickets remaining for the masterclass, however I was absolutely gutted to discover that they had sold out and the staff said that the website needed updating!

Just thought I'd let people know incase they see the website and decide to make their way to GuitarGuitar thinking that they'll be able to get a masterclass ticket. They'll be disappointed just as I was!
humphriesenator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S25k2WG9itc

He'll play Kazakhstan but not Scotland? Oh c'mon Guthrie, you're killing me here!

Sad
Voojitsu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey. My masterclass ticket for Manchester this wenesday says the Masterclass starts at 3 on the ticket, yet it's written as starting on 4 in this thread. What time does it actually begin? Shocked
Willjay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was lovely to finally meet Guthrie after all these years, though within 10 seconds of meeting him i ended up on my knees, at his feet, picking up piles of stuff i dropped right in front of him.... aaaarrghhh. I couldn't have possibly been any more embarrassed...... unless my pants fell down. Razz

If any of you guys think you know what you'll say when you first meet a hero of yours..... you have no idea!! ..... I was pretty tongue tied, i even meant to ask if i could buy a copy of his album, and completely forgot. Confused

Was nice to recognise and meet Shep too! Cool

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.

I was on the train to Manchester, reading a book. I looked up as someone walked past me down the aisle, I thought he looked familiar then I realised it was Guthrie! I was like ''Holy sh*t!'' Managed to have a chat with Guthrie and Ed outside the train station for 5 or 10 minutes. Guthrie was really sound and down to earth which was cool.

The masterclass and clinic were both great. Was good to get an insight into Guthrie's approach to playing, and his attitude towards music and the guitar. Guthrie was kind enough to sign my Jem and everytime I see it it's a nice reminder of meeting him.

Would really like to do this again someday. Very Happy
Edovinus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a great time today. Too bad I had to leave early, but it was excellent none the less.
emmerhoofd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one time backing band messed up a couple of times during the mini concert, but luckily Guthrie didn't let that spoil his mood and he gave it his best anyway. And it was, apparently the first time ever he played Uncle Skunk live ('I don't really like it', about the song). Hope to see him soon with a proper live band.
DLM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
DLM wrote:
alexkhan wrote:

Dec 15 Tue - venue TBA, near Stuttgart, Germany, time TBA, master class, clinic, sponsored by Station Music - http://www.station-music.de/

Confused The Station Music website is quite clear about the venue being their regular shop premises in Jettingen-Scheppach. Question

That is correct. I just listed the closest major city since that's where Guthrie and I will fly into. It will be near the shop premises.

Ed, you're even more precise about things than the Germans! Laughing

The exact venue was a café/bar just around the corner from Station Music. I was sorry to not have had time to look around at the shop, I guess I'll just have to go back, it's only about an hour's drive. Smile

Guthrie was hilarious, I laughed so much at him demonstrating how not to do it, more even than at this or this.

Thanks very much for organising this jaunt, Ed. I'll be delighted to make every effort possible to catch Guthrie live again in the future.

I was a little disappointed not to have met more players from around where I live, everyone I spoke to had come a long way to see Guthrie.
One chap in particular had driven all the way from Wuppertal, over 300 miles away from Jettingen-Scheppach!

My wife came along for the workshop bit too, and now wants to buy me a GG signature model, which she thinks is a bargain, 'cause it costs loads less than her 150-year-old-plus 'cello. Laughing
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm in London now after concluding the Scandinavian portion of the tour as I rest up here before heading back to LA tomorrow. The clinic tour has been great - even more successful than the US/Canada northeast tour Guthrie and I did in July.

The fans in Norway got a marathon of all-things Guthrie yesterday - a master class that lasted nearly two hours, a Suhr product clinic that lasted almost as long, a solo concert of Guthrie playing pretty much all the major tunes from the EC album, and then an extended live jam session of Guthrie playing with a local rhythm section that included 'Little Wing' and SRV's 'Scuttle Buttin'.

It seems people came from all corners of Norway to see Guthrie at a small town (near Stavanger) in the southwest part of the country and we really wanted to make sure it was worth the effort for all the fans who came to see Guthrie. I think they all came away quite satisfied with what they witnessed. I mean, 5+ hours of Guthrie playing his ass off!

The Suhr product clinic portion is a special treat because this is where one can get to see Guthrie's versatility to the fullest - just noodling (but with amazing authority and conviction) in various styles with an awesome palette of sounds just straight into the amp without any effects. One wouldn't be able to see something like this at an Erotic Cakes concert. He'll play a lot of stuff that he wouldn't normally play in a band context.

Anyway, it was all great. I'm definitely somewhat exhausted now after 17 days on tour that covered 8 cities (numerous airports, train stations and hotels) in 5 different countries. It gets pretty friggin' tough after a little while but it is what it is. For me, just visiting Europe for the first time and all the sensory and information overload started wearing me out mentally near the tail end of this tour. I also had a lot of business stuff to attend to with the dealers, so it sure wasn't a picnic.

Oh yeah, and the weather! It just seemed like we were taking along a blizzard storm with us wherever we went. For a Southern California guy like me, that was quite an adjustment to make although it really wasn't such a big deal after a little while.

It was all good. Guthrie just killed as usual. I'm lucky enough to see Guthrie quite regularly and he always has new things to play. Anyway, it was great to meet some of you guys here on the tour and I'm sure we'll be doing this on a regular basis. The next European tour will probably have to be focused on some countries we didn't get to visit this time: France, Spain, Italy and a few eastern European countries.

But before that, we've got another NAMM and post-NAMM mini-tour in the US visiting the San Francisco area, Denver and Boston, so you guys in those cities need to stay tuned for that. Then we'll start planning a US southwest/midwest tour in the late-spring and then a Far East Asia tour in the summer. Hopefully, Guthrie will be able to work on the next album after the NAMM activities. He is one very busy and in-demand guy right now.

Europe's super cool. Love the vibe and the cultural diversity! Smile
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed!

i couldnt find you ANYWHERE at the show in brirmingham!! i promised you beer too!!! Sad

good to see you at the peach show tho, you know a scary amount about wood!

Laughing
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissMisstreater wrote:
Ed!

i couldnt find you ANYWHERE at the show in brirmingham!! i promised you beer too!!! Sad

good to see you at the peach show tho, you know a scary amount about wood!

Laughing

I was planning to go to the Birmingham gig but my flu reached its peak at Manchester and I was really feeling like crap there, so I decided that it'd be better to go straight down to the Gatwick Airport and rest up before hooking up with Guthrie again in Holland. I believe I made the right choice as that extra time helped me get better.

I was barely able to stand during the Manchester clinic event. My back was aching so bad and my head just felt numb. I know Guthrie was under the weather (not as bad as me) during our UK portion of the tour as well. He was definitely well less than 100% then. All in all, we got through it good. Gotta be pros, you know? Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
MAXtheGuitarlover

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Masterclass and Clinic at Station Music in Jettingen-Scheppach was really amazing!

Guthrie played really, really amazing and I also enjoyed the presentation of the Suhr products.

It was also great to meet you , Ed!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAXtheGuitarlover wrote:
The Masterclass and Clinic at Station Music in Jettingen-Scheppach was really amazing!

Guthrie played really, really amazing and I also enjoyed the presentation of the Suhr products.

It was also great to meet you , Ed!

Guthrie and I really enjoyed our visit to Station Music in Jettingen-Scheppach. That little restaurant-bar was intimate and oozed class. Really liked the small town atmosphere as well.

It was great to meet you as well and I'm glad that you enjoyed the master class and the clinic. Guthrie is indeed amazing and I'm fortunate to get to see him play live on a regular basis. I've seen him many dozens of times and he always sounds fresh and plays new things that I haven't seen him play before - a testament to his ability as an improvisor who is always creating on the spot. Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: