Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - waves - chords and bassline
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

waves - chords and bassline

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cluster_one

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: waves - chords and bassline Reply with quote

someone has the chords and the basslines for waves ? By the way, on this song the bass player deserves as praises as govan. If i was a bass player i would like to learn those lines for sure. thanks
Scias

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man, I learned waves a while ago and also learned the chords. What struck me is that despite the main chord sequence seeming completely orthodox i.e. without any key changes (as opposed to 'Sevens' and 'Fives'), the chords really seem to move the song as if there are modulations. He has used orthodox chords to the maximum potential here and really told a story with them in my view.

Please excuse the lack of timing indication here. I'm assuming you'll know how to play the right rhythm to the tune. The chords to the main riff go:

F#min, C#min,F#min, C#min, Bmin, C#min, F#min, Emaj, F#min.

All X2

You may want to make all the minor chords minor 7 chords if you wish, but I haven't heard it for a while so I'm not sure what the original choice is here.

Second part of the main riff (after playing the above twice):

Dmaj, Emaj, F#min, Emaj, F#min, Dmaj, Emaj, Bmin7

Again you may want to change the Dmajors to Dmajor7s, or the Emajors to E6s if you wish.

After the main riff there is an improvisation which is played over the same chords as above. When you've got this far let me know and I'll post more about this cos you've gota admit theres a lot to this song and I'd prefer to attack each section individually. There is actually key changes later on but I'll wait til you're familiar with the above and have had a shot at playing the chords and maybe improvising over them. You're right about the bass line, Guthrie's brother Seth really knows how to throw in notes whic sound awesome but don't detract from the feeling of the chord.
DuhJeffmeister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Waves Chords Reply with quote

Scias wrote:
Hey man, I learned waves a while ago and also learned the chords. What struck me is that despite the main chord sequence seeming completely orthodox i.e. without any key changes (as opposed to 'Sevens' and 'Fives'), the chords really seem to move the song as if there are modulations. He has used orthodox chords to the maximum potential here and really told a story with them in my view.

Please excuse the lack of timing indication here. I'm assuming you'll know how to play the right rhythm to the tune. The chords to the main riff go:

F#min, C#min,F#min, C#min, Bmin, C#min, F#min, Emaj, F#min.

All X2

You may want to make all the minor chords minor 7 chords if you wish, but I haven't heard it for a while so I'm not sure what the original choice is here.

Second part of the main riff (after playing the above twice):

Dmaj, Emaj, F#min, Emaj, F#min, Dmaj, Emaj, Bmin7

Again you may want to change the Dmajors to Dmajor7s, or the Emajors to E6s if you wish.

After the main riff there is an improvisation which is played over the same chords as above. When you've got this far let me know and I'll post more about this cos you've gota admit theres a lot to this song and I'd prefer to attack each section individually. There is actually key changes later on but I'll wait til you're familiar with the above and have had a shot at playing the chords and maybe improvising over them. You're right about the bass line, Guthrie's brother Seth really knows how to throw in notes whic sound awesome but don't detract from the feeling of the chord.

Actually I asked him during a guitar clinic what the chords to the main riff and verse were and he told me this:

Intro:
F#m7, Emaj7/F#, F#m7, Emaj7/F#, D, E, F#m7, E, F#m7

F#m7, Emaj7/F#, F#m7, Emaj7/F#, D, E, F#m7, E, F#m7

Bm7, E, F#m7, E, F#m7, Bm7, E, Bm7

Verse:
E, F#m7, A, C#m, D

I wrote it down as he was talking to me, and it matches up with the track.

Dunno about the bridge parts though. I'm pretty sure it modulates from F# Minor (Main Riff and Verse) to A Minor to E Major then back to F# Minor. Haven't sat down to play the chords though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: