Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - A lurker unmasked
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A lurker unmasked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Humscruddle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: A lurker unmasked Reply with quote

Hello Everybody!

For about a year now (christ! has it been that long ?) I've stalked these forums on an almost daily basis, too shy to introduce myself, however, the time has come to say hello.

Well, Where do I start?

I'm currently a first year student at York St John University, studying for a BA in Music Performance. Before this, I studied for a Dual BTEC award in Music Performance/Music Technology and achieved Distinctions in both.
I'm not a graded guitarist and I'm a pretty poor reader, but I have some knowledge in theory and I'd say I'm relatively good at technique etc..

I originally wanted to play drums, however the parents wouldn't allow it. instead I was given a second-hand Encore Strat and a BB Blaster ( It's Tone Monster that thing) because I could 'plug in some headphones' when playing.

I'd say my main influences would be Zappa and Led Zeppelin but my first real encounter with a guitar was Angus Young. I went through a phase of only listening to Steve Vai as i'm sure a lot of people have, and during this time, my tutor at college showed me a clip of some crazy haired bloke called Guthrie Govan who (in his words) "wasn't too shabby at guitar". Naturally, I was completely blown away by the tapping lick in Fives (you know the one i mean...) and straightaway, i bought Erotic Cakes and was hooked on all things Guthrie.

Anyway, i'm beginning to ramble on a bit more than i'd planned on doing.

I'll try and sum myself up in one sentance shall i?

My name is Iain (dodgy spelling i know), i'm 18, originally from Newton Aycliffe which is near Darlington for you who use trains or "50 miles south of Newcastle" if you don't. I've played guitar for about 6 years. I don't particularly like the student thing of going to a club which plays crap music all night, charges a pound for a bottle of what is essentially a panda pop, i'd much prefer a couple of pints of ale in a grotty pub. I like to go surfing and mountain biking when i can, though being stuck in Yorkshire at uni without a bike or a surfboard makes these tasks pretty difficult. Anyway yeah, that was more than a sentance, but there you go. Smile

Thanks for listening to me yap on about myself. If you have any questions, i'll be more than happy to try and answer.

Cheers,

Iain Very Happy
DLM

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings, homeboy!

(I originated in Darlo, and played in bands with people from Aycliffe)

Smile
markmcg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums mate!

I heartily approve of the Vai listening and that bearded bloke;)

Time is the best Teacher, unfortunately it kills all its students
http://www.mastertheguitar.co.uk : http://www.markmcguigan.com
sumis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool to have you around. those two z's goes a long way, right?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: