Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Finger Nail Length for Hybrid & Taping
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finger Nail Length for Hybrid & Taping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonny guitar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Finger Nail Length for Hybrid & Taping Reply with quote

I have always kept my M,R,P fingernails long so I can hybrid pick but I am doing alot more tapping now with M and R and the nails are getting in the way. I don't want my hybrid picking to suffer too much because it is a big part of my thang. I am thinking of trimming back to just extending past the finger so I can tap with the pad and still pluck the strings with the nails.

Anybody out there have any reccommendations on what works for them.

Thanks in advance, JOn
Will

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bite mine

I think it was BB King that once said he likes to use the "meat" on his fingers

i love that saying Razz
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mainly play the electric, I think you can get by with using the pad of your fingertips for the hybrid-picking kind of stuff. I think Guthrie keeps his nails fairly short and can transition between tapping and hybrid-picking really smoothly. If I was just listening to some of his stuff on CD instead of watching him, it'd be hard to tell when he's using one technique or the other.

Have you watched the Brett Garsed instructional video called "Rock Fusion"? Now he's the man when it comes to the hybrid picking thing. When he picks with the fingers, the pad of his fingertip does the initial attack and the pulling on the string and the nail then finishes it off. I messed with the technique for a while but decided I'd need to put in too many hours to get comfortable with it so I chucked it. Still, it's a very interesting technique for sure.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
jonny guitar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Have you watched the Brett Garsed instructional video called "Rock Fusion"? Now he's the man when it comes to the hybrid picking thing. When he picks with the fingers, the pad of his fingertip does the initial attack and the pulling on the string and the nail then finishes it off. I messed with the technique for a while but decided I'd need to put in too many hours to get comfortable with it so I chucked it. Still, it's a very interesting technique for sure.

I already put in the time and I really can't survive without it anymore so I guess I will have to start filing until I find the happy medium....gonna be weird to not have people stare at my long fingernails. Thnks for the tip on Garsed...I will check it out.
Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a hybrid picker and I do use my flesh and nails when I attack the strings. The nail could get in the way of tapping but I just angle my wrist more to utilize the flesh more (the same way you would angle your wrist to perform 8 finger taps).

even if you cut your nails it will still work. But you will get a more percussive tone out of the strings if you add more snap to it. It sounds really cool too.

Listen to Alessandro Benvenuti, another fantastic jazz/rock fusion monster who utilizes hybrid picking, tapping, and sweeping effortlessly. You can hear from his lines that he uses more of his flesh and the result is a really cool percusive sound.

check him out...

http://www.alessandrobenvenuti.com/ukhome.html

buy his album Sonic Design.....it's absolutely incredible shit!!

anyway, there are many ways to hybrid pick....Jeff Beck, Shawn Lane, and Eric Johnson use their fingers from time to time and they probably never bothered growing their fingers hardcore.

I can't survive without hyrbrid picking either....lol

Garsed is my god...hehe Smile
tafolla-howe-govan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonic Design is a great cd...Does anyone here have the J.A.M. album with Alessandro, Joel Rivard, and Milan Polak?...I've only heard a couple of tracks, but what I heard was just incredible.

My friend has the Rock Fusion video, it is absolutely sick!! I've also got a DVD of Garsed and Helmerich live at MI, there is some killer stuff on there
Noise Epidemic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock Fusion is a great video. Pretty cool stuff. When I first saw the video I was inspired to develop my hybrid picking. I didn't take it too far though, I ended up copping a lot of his licks but using picking instead Laughing

I checked out Alessandro, I really dig the soundclips on his page. His tone is Howe-ish, which I love. I think I'm going to have to get his Sonic Design CD. He's also got me looking into a custom ESP now. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Carlo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, get Sonic Design....you won't regret it. Awesome chops, yes, but very listenable and catchy at the same time. He plays with such unbelievable finesse that I almost prefer him over Greg Howe.

JAM is great too, I was surprised by how well they all worked together despite such differing styles. But I do prefer Sonic Design though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: