Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Contemplating buying a Cornford Hurricane...
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contemplating buying a Cornford Hurricane...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
return2forever

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Contemplating buying a Cornford Hurricane... Reply with quote

Hi there, to whoever reads this post! I'm in a bit of a conundrum... I have the grand opportunity of buying a Cornford Hurricane, which I have been lusting after a Cornford for about a year now, but before I jump in I just wanted to know, is the Hurricane capable of playing metal? I'm not really a metal player, but I do enjoy jamming out to it from time to time. And also honestly, how well is it in a live situation? It's only 20 watts, but then again I know tube amps are always much louder than solid state amps. What are your guys' thoughts, praises, complaints, suggestions?
return2forever

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably a better question to ask is, could I get Guthrie tone without any other pedal? Like sometimes guthrie has a pretty crazy amount of gain and I was wondering if the Hurricane can achieve that, without the use of a pedal like the BB+ or Riot or anything.
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hurricane is NOT a metal amp. has limited amounts of preamp gain, and needs to be run hot with cooking power amp tubes, to be really sweet. it's PLENTY loud for it's watts, for sure, but very far from a typical hi gain amp with lots of headroom.

i don't think ANY 1x12 combo is suitable for metal, as long as you're not playing in your bedroom.

it's definitely not a guthrie-in-a-box-amp. working on pick attack and left hand touch is more worthwhile imho to get a guthriesque sound. the hurricane is a very dynamic amp, that in many respects put out what you put in.

it takes pedals really well as far as my limited experience tells. guthrie definitely hits it with different od pedals when using it. but they change . . .

with a small selection of boost and od pedals, you can probably make the hurricane sing the way you want. you might find that using something very different than guthrie will take you closer to his sound, rather than using a zendrive or bb preamp or riot or whatever.

with that said, the hurricane is one of my fav amps. haven't been married to one, but a few one night stands represents some of the best sex ever. but it sure didn't make me sound like guthrie Wink

return2forever

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha funny! and i'm not trying to sound LIKE guthrie per se (i mean who wants to sound like someone else?) but i do like the "tone" (and i say "tone" because it's kind of an ambiguous term...) that he gets from the cornfords, along with honestly everyone else i've heard play a cornford. but i've never really heard a hurricane do anything but like very clean blues, and there's only about 2 samples on the Cornford page for the hurricane. And so i guess my real question is, can it do fusion? that's what i play predominantly. i don't really want like an unholy amount of slithering gain, but i do like quite a bit. and are there any videos/webcasts/etc of guthrie playing through a hurricane?

and ps. i saw a vid of someone playing through a harlequin which is supposed to be the "little brother" of the hurricane, and i really liked that. are they the same, just different sizes or what? sorry about all the questions by the way! thank you sumis, and anyone else who would take the time to answer ! Smile
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great cleans and crunch. great for fusion (with a boost or od). great amp. surprisingly loud. if you have a good deal on one: go for it!

return2forever

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what boost/od would you recommend? i know guthrie uses the riot, bb+, etc but remembering your previous comment regarding those, what would you recommend?
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the riot is the best thing i have ever stepped on... simple haha

(I use it in my rock/metal band)

for a more "fusiony" drive im using the shiba
Suhr GG modern > peterson strobe 2 > EB wah > Rothwell compressor > Xotic bb+ > Suhr Shiba > Suhr Riot > DE phaser > Analogman bichorus (all in carl martin combinator) > Bogner XTC head > EB volume > Eventide timefactor > cornford 2x12
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: