Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - How to incorporate jazzy & chromatism into my playing?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to incorporate jazzy & chromatism into my playing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thrashed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: How to incorporate jazzy & chromatism into my playing? Reply with quote

I wanna know how to incorporate jazzy & chromatism into my playing?
I just got mysef a book about Theory and the most imporant things you need to know when playing guitar.. bu i still cant seem to seeminglessly add these chromatic and jazzy passings when going to a different mode or scale..

Does anyone know of any good onlinelessons about this?

Also.
After bout 10 Guitars i understand my Les Spaul standard is here to stay.. just sanded the neck a little and it plays like a dream. Installed a Dimarzio norton in the bridge and an Liquifire in the neck pos. which i i tend to do splitable, also intending bypassing the tine controls so that just one of em drives all tonecontrols and use the other for a killswitch.. if possible

first and foremost I need new tuners, preferrably lecking and a new nut so the strings slide better through.

What tuners and nut woould you recommend. I dont care about the vintage looks but just want as much platability out of the guitar as possible..
here it is before the change to Liquifire, had an Air Norton before

thanx
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One solution is to play the notes that are not in the scale you're using.

There's a couple of good dvds on this: Jimmy Bruno's Inside Outside Jazz Guitar.. or Larry Carlton's first DVD (the second half) alternatively sit down and listen to loads of Thelonius Monk, in fact you'd probably not go wrong doing all of the above or just the last Very Happy

Online you could sign up fo the JBGI but it costs a lot and the content is restricted based on your proven ability - but it's good.

Tuners - sperzel
Nut material I like tusq and I've got an earvana nut fitted on my 335 copy Wink

I have the power!
greghowe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can mix scales together to create chromatic
for example 4 bars with the chord Gm7
you can play G minor (dah) and you can play G dorian
or you can mix them together which gives you a chromatic (D Eb E F)
thrashed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greghowe wrote:
You can mix scales together to create chromatic
for example 4 bars with the chord Gm7
you can play G minor (dah) and you can play G dorian
or you can mix them together which gives you a chromatic (D Eb E F)

To bad for me I don't know many of the chords you're mentioning.. I'm completely selflearned and know nothing about modes only a little about scales..

I've, as mentioned above, purchased a book that focuses on musictheory for guitar and so far it's been really helpful in the way that it tells me the names of what i've been playing all along Smile

What i'd like to know is how to incorporate these "off-sounding" notes without sounding off to my own pretty straightforward metal guitarstyle with lots of sweeps..
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in your case, i wold learn phrases and licks that does what you want to do. as many as you can. break them up into smaller idioms, make them your own and change them around to suit your playing. learn which notes in those phrases sound cool, use that knowledge when creating your own phrases.

it is difficult to communicate these things without a basic, or preferably intermediate, understanding of theory -- which is basically a descriptive vocabulary. so learn the names of what you're playing. learn how chords work, and basic harmony. then it's easy to talk about how different ideas, sounds and harmonies work.

if you can't bother the theory: just copy sounds from henderson, stern, guthrie or whoever, and make it your own.

ZeyerGTR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to use chromaticism as a way of getting from point A to point B using more notes and with more added tension. It also helps break up the rhythm.

For example, let's say you want to go from the 5th to the root above, you could walk up a scale in 3 notes with a triplet feel. In this case, going from the 5th (D) to land on the root (G) in the next measure you could do:

D E F | G

Or you could do it chromatically in 5 notes (quintuplet) in the same time span:
D D# E F F# | G

They sound and feel totally different because the chromaticism is not only playing with the melody, but the rhythm. You're sort of forced to jam more notes into the same span of time.

If your phrase starts on the "right" note, and ends on the "right" note, it's hard to go wrong. =) You have a lot of room to play with chromaticism in between.

Quote:
After bout 10 Guitars i understand my Les Spaul standard is here to stay
I dig the dark coloring on that Lester. No advice for tuners or nut, my LP Traditional is stock. If you're having issues w/ string slipping I'd recommend some Big Bends Nut Sauce lubricant. Works great for me.
thrashed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sumis wrote:
in your case, i wold learn phrases and licks that does what you want to do. as many as you can. break them up into smaller idioms, make them your own and change them around to suit your playing. learn which notes in those phrases sound cool, use that knowledge when creating your own phrases.

it is difficult to communicate these things without a basic, or preferably intermediate, understanding of theory -- which is basically a descriptive vocabulary. so learn the names of what you're playing. learn how chords work, and basic harmony. then it's easy to talk about how different ideas, sounds and harmonies work.

if you can't bother the theory: just copy sounds from henderson, stern, guthrie or whoever, and make it your own.

actually, the reading's going pretty well, it's the lack of licks i have.. i think i'm gonna learn Fives and some of Guthries material (slower of course) to get the licks cause i think i know how they work around the neck theorywise now Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: