Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Learning the notes on the fretboard
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning the notes on the fretboard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacesAreFine

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Learning the notes on the fretboard Reply with quote

So, I just got this idea the other day of how to learn the notes of the fretboard naturally (ie, in context). I don't know if something like this has been posted before, but I did a search and couldn't find anything, so here it goes.

Instead of sitting down and forcefully trying to learn the fretboard one fret at a time, make a tab book and write out tabs. Transcribe as much music as possible, and then use your tabs to play the music (kinda like sight reading). The catch is that instead of using numbers to indicate what frets to play, use note names! It's really quite intuitive. There's only two places to play each note on a string, the lower octave, and the higher, so you could notate that too, if you need to. Here's an example:

(Higher octave)
----G----G-----------------
-D----C----BhCpB--------
----------------------A-----
-------------------------D--
-----------------------------
-----------------------------

I hope this could be helpful to anyone.

Also, points to whoever can guess what the example is! (It's really not that hard...)
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a FANTASTIC idea Shocked

I already know the notes all over the neck and learnt them as a byproduct of learning to sightread.

that truly is an amazing idea! Though it may note be so useful for someone who doesnt know any of the notes

and the tune is fives
Suhr GG modern > peterson strobe 2 > EB wah > Rothwell compressor > Xotic bb+ > Suhr Shiba > Suhr Riot > DE phaser > Analogman bichorus (all in carl martin combinator) > Bogner XTC head > EB volume > Eventide timefactor > cornford 2x12
RoryButler

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree that is a real cool idea!
As I'm sort of...semi-fluent in note identifying I'll definately do this as I transcribe!
Mirth

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a pretty good idea, though I could see people getting lazy with it. In the end, I think you just have to grin down and bare it, take some time and learn the notes.

This is definitely a good tool though, you can't really transcribe too much.
www.reverbnation.com/timmirth
antonioctd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!

I've been trying to invent a system to teach the notes on the fret board to my students for years! This is it! Thanks a lot!

I've learned it the hard way... And it took a lot of time! oohhh my students are so lucky because of you! LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: