Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Any Suggestions?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Suggestions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suhr shredelot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:21 am    Post subject: Any Suggestions? Reply with quote

Greetings fellow musicians and music lovers alike! I have recently taken the next step towards my educational career and am in need of some advice. The dorm rooms within my school forbid the usage of any guitar amplification, thus meaning that my guitar is awfully quieter than usual. Lately, I've been browsing the web in search of a pedal board that can suit my needs. So my question is, what would you guys recommend I do/check out?
hermanmonker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Boss Me-70 is fantastic for quiet reheasing.Check out Alex Hutchings demoing the Me-70 on youtube

Last edited by hermanmonker on Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
gadget

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a Boss Micro BR? http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb07/articles/bossmicrobr.htm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are both fantastic suggestions, both seem to be very versatile upon achieving any specific sound/tone that one wishes to achieve. However, I am worried that they may sound very digital, specifically the micro BR. Should I be?
Have any of you heard of the Vox ToneLab ST, if so what do you think?
gadget

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suhr shredelot wrote:
Those are both fantastic suggestions, both seem to be very versatile upon achieving any specific sound/tone that one wishes to achieve. However, I am worried that they may sound very digital, specifically the micro BR. Should I be?
Have any of you heard of the Vox ToneLab ST, if so what do you think?

IMHO anything which is digital and /or modelled will sound as such (unless you're spending big money), but in your situation, you are presumably going to have to accept a compromise. Read some reviews and make your own mind-up re. the relative 'tone' merits of what's available, but no, the Micro BR isn't going to sound like a real valve amp.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about a ht5 amp by blackstar its a valve amp but it has a headphone out . or if u have a pc or laptop. get some amp modeling software and an audio interface and you can plug headphones into that. and there very very good nowadays . i use amplitube 3 myself.
hermanmonker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beauty of the Me-70 is that you can use it as 4 seperate stomp boxes or use the presets.I use it as seperates and the tones are typical Boss which is great.Even though it is digital you still have the analogue knobs for each foot switch for adjusting on the fly.
I also have the Blackstar 5 watt but still has to be fairly loud to get a good tone on the distortion channel unless you have a good antenuator and I have found using a Zendrive pedal in the clean channel is better than the on board distortion channel .I didnt like the headphone out tone on the Blackstar but it sounds great with the ME-70.
If you want valve tone at bedroom volume check out the Zvex 1/2 watt amp .
suhr shredelot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"IMHO anything which is digital and /or modelled will sound as such (unless you're spending big money), but in your situation, you are presumably going to have to accept a compromise. Read some reviews and make your own mind-up re. the relative 'tone' merits of what's available, but no, the Micro BR isn't going to sound like a real valve amp."-gadget

I realize that and I'm more than willing to compromise. I know that it is truly my opinion that matters, but if I get suggestions and others opinions', the more confidence I will have in my decision. However, I feel like I could have made my last post clearer, which I am sorry that I have failed to do. The reason I mentioned the digital sound, was because the Vox ToneLab St has a tube incorporated into the pedal, and I was wondering if anyone new if would make a difference.

Alex Hutchings sure does exploit the full potential of the ME-70 and the Zvex 1/2 watt amp is awesome; I didn't even know that amps were made that small! Also, I've been contemplating amplitube as well.

Thank you guys for the advice/suggestions!
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd opt for the Micro BR (mines velcroed to my bass) - you can record 4 tracks and there are 300+ built in drum patterns (including metronome in a variety of time signatures) as well as several of amp models and fx.

Certainly it doesn't give you awesome authentic tones but it does give you the ability to play over backing tracks, compose songs and edit tracks - export as mp3s or Wav, slow down mp3s and store your favourite settings.

It eats 2 AA batteries in no time so get a power-supply.

I carry the Br with me into work and arrange the drum patterns - play over it that night (bass, synth guitar and lead) then tinker with the tracks - cutting and pasting to get stuff I like. One of my biggest object lessons was muting sections of solos to leave more space - it really helps to be able to listen to yourself objectively and the BR is a great tool for that.

I have the power!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: