Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Reading Music on the Grand staff
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reading Music on the Grand staff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacesAreFine

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Reading Music on the Grand staff Reply with quote

Just a quick question about reading sheet music. I searched the forums but I couldn't really find anything, so, here it is.

For the piano, reading music makes a lot of sense (especially concerning playing in different keys) because the sharps and flats are color, and feel, coded. But on guitar, it's different. Every note feels and looks exactly the same, and there's always more than one way to play a melody.

When you see the key signature (Like two flats - Bb Major), do you find that scale shape on your guitar, and then play what the music says, according to the shape? Like, "Ok, I'm starting on Bb, then I play a second down, then a second up, then a fourth up."

From what I can tell, that makes a little more sense...rather than literally knowing what every note in the grand staff is and translating it directly to the guitar. Or is it better to look at the notes on the staff, and say to yourself "Ok, I'm playing Bb, A, Bb, Eb."?

So, as you can see, I'm trying to learn how to read sheet music, (hopefully to apply to a music school in my area) and I was just wondering if anyone has any advice or tips.

Thanks in advance!

Also, I pretty much know all the notes on the fretboard (there's a few that take me a few seconds longer to name than the others), in case you're wondering...
alexandru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Reading Music on the Grand staff Reply with quote

SpacesAreFine wrote:

When you see the key signature (Like two flats - Bb Major), do you find that scale shape on your guitar, and then play what the music says, according to the shape? Like, "Ok, I'm starting on Bb, then I play a second down, then a second up, then a fourth up."

No ... I don't think I have the brainpower for that Laughing. Not only there are too many things too keep track of but also you can't be sure you're playing the right notes.

SpacesAreFine wrote:

From what I can tell, that makes a little more sense...rather than literally knowing what every note in the grand staff is and translating it directly to the guitar. Or is it better to look at the notes on the staff, and say to yourself "Ok, I'm playing Bb, A, Bb, Eb."?

Probably 90% (or more) of the times when I'm reading, the only time I think of the name of the notes is when I look to see which notes are altered. For example if I see that Bb and Eb are flattened I just keep in mind that those notes are flattened. But never when I'm actually reading. The information from the eye goes directly to the finger.

SpacesAreFine wrote:

So, as you can see, I'm trying to learn how to read sheet music, (hopefully to apply to a music school in my area) and I was just wondering if anyone has any advice or tips.

Thanks in advance!

1. The most important thing I can tell you about reading is DO IT EVERYDAY! Make a ritual out of it. For me, it is the 1st thing I practice.

2. Don't read something until it approaches memorization. I read a page only once until I finish the book and then I start again. This way you're sure you remember little or nothing.

3. If you really want to have some fun, read backwards.

4. Here are some books that I think are great for sight reading:
- William Leavitt - Reading Studies for Guitar.
- William Leavitt - Melodic Rhythms (this one has chords too Wink).
- Any Real Book.

SpacesAreFine wrote:

Also, I pretty much know all the notes on the fretboard (there's a few that take me a few seconds longer to name than the others), in case you're wondering...

That's like saying you pretty much know all the letters in the alphabet.

Good luck with your reading.

Alex.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: