Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie track on Terry Wogan!?!?!?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie track on Terry Wogan!?!?!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Guthrie track on Terry Wogan!?!?!? Reply with quote

For those in the UK this may seem unlikely (Terry Wogan is a veteran broadcaster over here - very funny, but plays very mainstream music for a slightly older audience) but on Sunday he had as a guest, a young guitarist by the name of Richard Craker who performed live a very creditable version of Fives (including the 'tapping lick from hell').
RobinEssex

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the link here, starts from 00:25:00

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00w6btv/Weekend_Wogan_28_11_2010

Shame Guthrie wasn't credited for this song or even had the opportunity to perform it on the show himself!
adrianclark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, impressive player... turns out he's a student at the Brit school in Croydon and plays with a band called FranKo. I suspect he has a bit of a musical future ahead of him Smile
The Danish Dude

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a big shame he didn't say "now I will perform the track Fives by Guthrie Govan".
He should have done that beacuse for people who dosen't know better, it seems like it's one of this guys own tracks.
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was well out of order, he played it knowing full well listeners will think it was his

and im willing to bet Guthrie never saw a PENNY for this
Suhr GG modern > peterson strobe 2 > EB wah > Rothwell compressor > Xotic bb+ > Suhr Shiba > Suhr Riot > DE phaser > Analogman bichorus (all in carl martin combinator) > Bogner XTC head > EB volume > Eventide timefactor > cornford 2x12
govango

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He also played it to win the Paul Walters guitar competition.

http://www.brit.croydon.sch.uk/page/?title=Paul+Walters+Guitar+Competition+2010&pid=119
Jon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissMisstreater wrote:
I think that was well out of order, he played it knowing full well listeners will think it was his

and im willing to bet Guthrie never saw a PENNY for this

Jeez...give the guy a break. He's got the stress of being about to play a difficult guitar track live on air, after also being interviewed live (and this isn't some seasoned pro with decades of experience of these things) - I'm sure he's not deliberately trying to pass the track off as his own, as it would be easy to overlook mentioning it, given the circumstances.

Why wouldn't Guthrie see a penny? If it's a BBC broadcast then he would almost certainly receive the standard Performing Rights Society fees (which is all that any composer would be due in such circumstances)
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im very aware of how the royalty system in thsi country works thanks Wink

Neither Terry nor this guy mentioned Guthrie's name, i dont think anyone has actively tried to hurt Guthrie. I think its been a byproduct of a lack of understanding on exactly how the system works

Guthrie should be mentioned, i have NEVER heard a one off live cover played on radio without the original artist being mentioned
Suhr GG modern > peterson strobe 2 > EB wah > Rothwell compressor > Xotic bb+ > Suhr Shiba > Suhr Riot > DE phaser > Analogman bichorus (all in carl martin combinator) > Bogner XTC head > EB volume > Eventide timefactor > cornford 2x12
Jon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MissMisstreater wrote:
Im very aware of how the royalty system in thsi country works thanks Wink

Neither Terry nor this guy mentioned Guthrie's name, i dont think anyone has actively tried to hurt Guthrie. I think its been a byproduct of a lack of understanding on exactly how the system works

Guthrie should be mentioned, i have NEVER heard a one off live cover played on radio without the original artist being mentioned

That's all fine, but your original post implied that Richard Craker was deliberately trying to deceive the listening public by passing off the track as his own, and that the BBC were ripping Guthrie off financially - which involves some pretty big assumptions.

I agree that it would've been nice for someone to mention Guthrie as the composer of the track - but if the guy's made the effort to learn the track in the first place I would assume he's a pretty big fan of Guthrie so it's far more likely that it was just an oversight in the heat of the moment. Guthrie seems to have a pretty laid-back approach to self-promotion so I don't expect that he's sat at home sticking pins in a Terry Wogan voodoo doll either.
RobinEssex

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No disrespect to this guy but it should have been Guthrie himself playing his composition up there but that's an issue for Guthries management really!
frankus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon wrote:
Why wouldn't Guthrie see a penny? If it's a BBC broadcast then he would almost certainly receive the standard Performing Rights Society fees (which is all that any composer would be due in such circumstances)

Places like the Beeb and other places are guilty of fudging this kind of thing, it's down to the programme manager to ensure that credits go to the right people or into a big bucket divied out based on the pop charts... it was probably 2 mins 30 of Rhianna, 1 minute of Cheryl Cole and 2 mins 14 seconds of Robbie Williams.

I'd really like to know what Guthrie makes of the "money issue" or the "recognition issue" because I think his response would probably be a refreshing tonic to MissMisstreater's "all about the Benjamins" philosophy.

I have the power!
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think its ALL about the cash at all, i think its about right and wrong.

Where do you draw the line? ya know?
govango

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lad is only 18 year old like, he is a fantastic musician, he plays the drums as good as guitar, piano etc. I've seen his band Franko and was blown away by them, he does most of the songwriting and he's a cracking songwriter too, this lad has got some real talent, cut him some slack. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: