Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Oh the choices...
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oh the choices...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noise Epidemic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Oh the choices... Reply with quote

Well I've been on the hunt for a new amp for quite some time. For the longest time I've been wanting that Egnater TOL100, and every time i get the chance to get one on Ebay, the rest of my money that I need never happens to get to me on time. Evil or Very Mad But now that I've been thinking, although I do need an amp to gig with - I DON'T HAVE A BAND TO GIG WITH! So if I were to get one right now, it would be useless, yet I'd like to be prepared for when I do finally get a jam situation or band situation going. I defintely wouldn't have much use for a 100 watt amp sitting in my room - especially since all I'd be using it for would be practicing and recording. Would it make more sense to get a POD Pro XT and some sort of VHT/Mesa poweramp instead? That way I could use it at home, record, etc. AND be able to use it live too. What are you guys' experiences with the POD Pro XT's live/and unlive situations?

If not the POD Pro XT, then do you have any other suggestions for something in the same area? Anyone tried the Carvin TN100?(Gambale sig preamp)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need a lot of tones? Generally, digital modelers are the last thing I'd recommend. I'd still recommend an all-tube amp wherever possible. I don't know what's available out there these days for the low-to-medium price points, but I figure Fender and Marshall would have something reasonable in that range? It's still my firm belief that one needs to get the power tube section in a tube amp working hard for the best tone and dynamics. It's tougher to play, but no pain, no gain! Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Noise Epidemic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree. The problem is just that I'd like to use it for recording and stuff too, which means I'd have to either blast the amp, or get a hotplate or something to get good tone. As far as the variety of tones, it'd be nice to have a versatile amp, considering I jump from metal, to funk, jazz and blues all the time, and I know via amp modeling definitely opens the opportunity for a variety of tones although lots of times being overprocessed/blatantly digital/etc. I just don't know anymore. Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, take a cue from Guthrie.Wink You don't need a modeler to cover all those styles. Guthrie covered more styles convincingly through a 2 channel (with shared EQ) amp with no effects than anyone I've seen with mega rack systems or modelers.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Noise Epidemic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True that. Guess it all comes down to the budget. Mad
shredrulez

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree with ed. i'd rather listen to guthrie through a cheap crate combo than most with bells-and-whistles rack gear or modelers. guthrie proves once and for all that it's in the hands and the mind of the player than what you play through.
Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, digital modelling sucks ass live because it just doesn't cut through as well as a tube amp. I'd only still recommend digital modelling for recording purposes, they work great in that respect. Nevertheless, you might want to check out a Vox Valvetronix. They actually sound good live and even better cranked loud, I was surprised. Somebody every now and then brings one during our open mics and the live sound is leaps better than any of the Line 6 Flextones or Vettas. Plus, they can usually be found for quite cheap.

I also downloaded the new firmware upgrade as well as their new model packs for my POD XT and there was an in immense improvement in tone!!! Shocked The Cornford model actually has a decent dynamic response and cleans up nicely with the volume knob. The Diezel and Bogner patch is also quite nice. My original gripe with the XT was that the tone gets really fizzy and you need to muck it up with effects to kind of compensate, which I hate because I like to record dry. But with the firmware upgrade the fizziness is gone and it has good decent solid base tone to work from, instead of the other way around where you have shitty ass mucky tone to begin with. It's geting there!!

I use my Laney VH100R and GH100L heads live....tube amp is the only way to go, but goddamn it's really hard to push and it's impossible to record with it at home. Even when using THD Hotplate, I'm still better off tonally using my POD XT to record with.

anyway I need to use both. But check out the Valvetronix, it seems closest to handling both jobs competently.

*and note to self.....must buy the Harlequin*
Noise Epidemic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight, Carlo, I totally forgot about the Valvetronix! Definitely going to do that, and yeah I heard the upgrade with the POD XT is an immense improvement. I've heard some very nice clips done with it ( like these! http://home.online.no/~drevva/clips/ ).

Yes, a Harlequin would be quite nice also. Razz If only I bothered to get a job, or started rounding up students (obviously I'd much rather prefer teaching Laughing )
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree that digital modelers can be great for recording applications. It becomes a tool for the creative process of recording and putting musical ideas on tape or disc. But for playing enjoyment and feel, the difference between a digital modeler and a fine tube amp is like the difference between AM radio and audiophile stereo or black & white TV and technicolor video. Yes, to me - as a player, it is that drastic although probably over 95% of the audience wouldn't be able to tell the difference. But for playing at home and recording, I can see something like a POD doing the job really well. Still, someone like Guthrie would much rather use the 6w Harlequin and mic the speaker for home recording applications.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
the difference between a digital modeler and a fine tube amp is like the difference between AM radio and audiophile stereo or black & white TV and technicolor video. .

for sure!! nothing beats the dynamic response of a good tube amp, where all you need is trusty volume and tone knob....and your skills of course Smile
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
the difference between a digital modeler and a fine tube amp is like the difference between AM radio and audiophile stereo or black & white TV and technicolor video. .

for sure!! nothing beats the dynamic response of a good tube amp, where all you need is trusty volume and tone knob....and your skills of course Smile

Not only the dynamic response, which is quite apparent, but the harmonic content is way different as well. Great tube amps have a big 3D sound very high in harmonic content that is rich, shimmering, and alive. You sense these harmonics floating in the air like little fairies flying around. Laughing But with modelers (and I've had the H&K zenTera here on a few occasions), they're so flat and two-dimensional. It literally is like the difference of looking at a beautiful model in person and a picture of her in a magazine. Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You sense these harmonics floating in the air like little fairies flying around. Laughing

haha...nice one Smile
AndersM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noise Epidemic wrote:
Thanks for the insight, Carlo, I totally forgot about the Valvetronix! Definitely going to do that, and yeah I heard the upgrade with the POD XT is an immense improvement. I've heard some very nice clips done with it ( like these! http://home.online.no/~drevva/clips/ ).

Hey,

I was going through the statistics from my webspace and saw that my clips had been linked from the Guthrie messageboard. How cool is that Wink
I've been lurking here a few times and have downloaded all the tonemerchants videos. Like everyone else, he makes me want to quit playing.

Anyway, I'm pretty embarrased to have those clips in this company. I'm not exactly a virtous... Rolling Eyes Wink
Noise Epidemic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone on the board shares the same feelings you do! Haha. No matter how you feel about them, you can't deny some of the awesome tones you got. Cool Cool Really pushes me to get an XT. A friend of mine just got a POD Pro XT with a Peavy 50/50 poweramp through a Mesa 2x12 recto cab. I heard him play through it over Camfrog (audio/webcam chat client). Sounded really sick on my end.
AndersM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noise Epidemic wrote:
I think everyone on the board shares the same feelings you do! Haha. No matter how you feel about them, you can't deny some of the awesome tones you got. Cool Cool Really pushes me to get an XT. A friend of mine just got a POD Pro XT with a Peavy 50/50 poweramp through a Mesa 2x12 recto cab. I heard him play through it over Camfrog (audio/webcam chat client). Sounded really sick on my end.

I'm glad you liked the tones Wink

I've only tried it direct so far, but I'm sure it works great with a poweramp and cab too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: