Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Joel Hoekstra
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joel Hoekstra

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Joel Hoekstra Reply with quote

hey guys,

check out Joel Hoekstra's "The Moon is Falling"

I love this album....it contains healthy doses of jazz, progressive rock, fusion, classical in sophisticated, off-beat song structures.....almost Buckethead-ish in some parts. Big focus on arrangement with lots of crazy ass modulations and time changes(I would love to see this guy live because I don't know how one would blow through these kinds of tunes). It's definitely different.

Check out samples (I love Fire Island and the title track)...

http://www.guitar9.com/themoonisfalling.html

His tone is incredible too and he makes great use of effects like Guthrie

Virgil Donati is on drums and Ric Fierrabacci on bass.....and they are all over the place too!!

I can't really recommend his other album, Undefined, because I don't have it yet. But from the samples i heard, Moon sounds more edgy
tafolla-howe-govan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also got The Moon is Falling, it is an excellent album. The music has such a powerful groove and there is top notch musicianship all over the place
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up. Knowing your guys' tastes, I'm sure it's really good. I'll have to pick the album up soon.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This album is really cool! You Guthrie fans are really going to dig this. It's just great MUSIC! Very challenging and listenable at the same time. Nice timbres, very good production, superb interplay between the band members, nice arrangements and compositions that hold your attention... This guy is making a rapid ascent up my charts. Smile
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see how he plays this stuff live!!

Joel was recently touring with Ari Hest. Funny cuz Ari was a former classmate of mine when I was studying at NYU. We did a final presentation project together talking about music therapy. If I knew that Ari would have Joel playing for him...damn him..lol. For one thing I never even knew that Ari was a musician with record deal! He was always quiet during class.

Anywho, Moon is Falling is phenomenal. I gotta get Undefined sooner or later.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been corresponding with Joel and he advised me that he'd love to make it out to the shop sometime to hang out, check out the gear, and perhaps play a show if he can put together a rhythm section while he's out here. Seems like a really nice guy. Yeah, it'd be incredible to see how he pulls this stuff off live.

Been in touch with Scott Jones as well. Guthrie, Joel, Scott... Man! Talk about G3 Squared! Shocked I think these guys will indeed spearhead a new movement in guitar music. I mean, this is the absolute cutting edge right now - not just in guitar playing, but in real music that has great guitar playing on it. We're finally seeing musicality, creativity, and other forms of substance catching up with flash and all the widdly techniques. It's very exciting to see that we're finally getting musical substance (compositions and arrangements, timbre, stylistic variety, etc.) that's as advanced and creative as the developments in technique and chops.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, that's great news! I know Joel is an extremely busy studio musician so that would be tres cool if he could participate in your uber-G3 event. Very Happy

Joel also seems like the kind of guy who will dig some of your neat toys Smile
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel Hoekstra has been confirmed to play here at TM on Jan 23, Sun, as part of a Suhr gala event: a double bill featuring the Scott Henderson Trio and Joel Hoekstra Trio. Really excited about this!

Joel will soon be receiving the Fireburst Mahogany Suhr Standard for him to try out and hopefull it'll become his main workhorse guitar as the Root Beer Suhr has become for Guthrie.

http://community.webshots.com/album/172714300qfnTMB/1

It's the bottom six on this page.

Joel's main amp is the CAA OD-100 (the only amp used on "The Moon Is Falling" album), which Suhr designed and is now manufacturing and distributing, so he's going to be a perfect fit for that evening. Can't wait to see Joel live! Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that explains Joel's sweet, sparkly, natural-sounding tone Smile That Suhr sure looks beautiful.....who wouldn't want that guitar to be their workhorse?

man, that show is gonna be sweet as well as scary!! Shocked
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the "Undefined" album and it's really cool, too! Quite different from "The Moon Is Falling". "Undefined" is a bit more raw, more spontaneous, more jazz-fusiony, more extended solos, more syncopated rhythm kind of stuff compared to the TMIF's cinematic scope, lush textures, and progressive-rock type of arrangements. Joel seems to be playing the Strat (single-coils) a lot more on "Undefined" while playing the SG more for the lead work on TMIF.

Joel was telling me that some people think TMIF is a more difficult album to absorb and that "Undefined" is "easier listening", but it's kind of opposite for me, not that "Undefined" is "difficult" or anything like that. I think it's great and I've been listening to it non-stop for the past two days and it's been growing on me quite a bit. I think I still prefer TMIF, but "Undefined" has some amazing playing on it and as Joel pointed out, Virgil's drumming is incredible and in a totally different context than one would normally hear him play. I think it's definitely worth getting if you enjoyed TMIF.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, I still gotta get this album....gonna order it soon. Thanks for the review Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: