Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie Govan guitar collection
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie Govan guitar collection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rochus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Guthrie Govan guitar collection Reply with quote

Hi! I was always curious what guitars Mr. Govan used before Suhr. However I was not able to find clear information, so I decided to do a research on my own. I watched a lot of his interviews and read older posts in different forums. So thats the infromation I came up with:

In recent interview for a radio Guthrie said that he has about 15 string instruments. 3 of them are bass'es, 1 - banjo. Also, he mentioned, that he own few cheap acoustics. As word "few" could have some different meanings I'd guess he has two or the of them. So it's easy to count 15 - (3+1+2?)= 9 empty slots in his collection
As I am not able to know which guitars are in the number of 9, I'll include all information i found

Ofcourse I have to start with:

1. Gibson SG special
It's first Guthrie guitar. Probably it is the reason why he loves mahogany so much. However, we probably won't be lucky enough to see the man himself rocking that guitar, cause he said, that it would be a shame if the guitar would be damaged in the gig. I give 100% that this Gibson is in his collection

2. Ibanez Jem
I have read some comments, that he had this guitar under his bed and never giged with it or giged rarely cause he didn't wanted to look like another Vai copy. this guitar was sold in his student years, but in an interview Guth mentioned that this guitar had unique pickup sound and he never was able to find another jem to sound that well

3. Gibson ES - 335
A guitar Guthrie used for his early jazz fusion gigs. There is a video on youtube (probably in bluesjamtracks promo set)

4. Gibson Les Paul
I don't know exact model, but I definitely know he had one. Unfortunately this guitar was stolen after a gig

5. Prs Custom 24
Beautiful and versatile guitar in tabacco burst. Guthrie owned it since 1993 and retired from playing it when he got his first Suhr in 2004. You can easily find some videos of Guthrie playing this Prs from his clinic in 2004

6. Sugi SH485E RBR
Chambered les paul type guitar. Saw this guitar in Tone merchants 2004(?) video. Guthrie was playing Ner Ner

At this point you can continue list on yourself:
http://www.suhrguitars.com/artists/govan.aspx

7. Govan's Std Cherry Sunburst
First Guthrie Suhr. He got it as a present from Ed Yoon in 2004

8. Govan's Butterscotch T
I guess it's a guitar Guthrie is holding in his older promotional photos

9. Govan's Std Root Beer
Reminds me of Bullet Blues and Fives videos on Licklibrary youtube channel \m/

10. Govan's Ocean Classic
Guitar featured in Favourite licks video

11. Govan's Mercedes Modern
A guitar that destroys Ben Poole in the jam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA_FVvgr4wg

12. Govan's Signature Modern
Fist signature guitar introduced in 2009

13. Govan's Signature Set-Neck Modern
Gibson SG sound on steroids

14. Govan's Signature Antique Modern
New signature (2011) guitar with basswood body, roasted maple neck and poisonous "lacquer of doom"

15. Rasmus GG signature prototype
I saw that Guthrie has this one in the photos of Aristocrats Ed Yoon posted some time ago

Thats it. Sorry if some information is incorrect. I gathered it from different forums. Please post any additional information if you have about his guitars. Also excuse me if I misspelled something
Hope this was interesting and helpful!
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im pretty sure the gibson Les Paul belonged to Paul Cornford.

Theres is a lick library video of Guthrie teaching stormy monday blues with his old SG im sure its on youtube somewhere.
digitalkettle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this one his:
http://vigierusa.com/index.php/2011/videos/guthrie-govan-vigier-surfreter-tasty-treats-for-everyone/
?
knowbody

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sugi guitar was never Guthrie's. It was a piece that tone merchants had for sale at the time of the gig and remained in their store until early 2006 timeframe. I believe I recall in the description of the guitar when it was still for sale it mentioned Guthrie playing it. Ed would most likely recall something about that.

I am aware of a Martin acoustic he used to play in his Asia days. And there is a video of him giving a lesson for lick library utilizing a red Ibanez. The lesson is for the David lee Roth song big trouble.

There is also a photo on this forum showing a room rumored to be filled with many of Guthrie's guitars.
bender83

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this should be the infimous SG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T17ERyoZgZM
d-street

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time post of a long time lurker!

Here's another one to add to the list:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04aSHgreWRU

Looks like a Tokai, the best view of the headstock is at about 2:55. I imagine this one doesn't get out into the light anymore/
bender83

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d-street wrote:
First time post of a long time lurker!

Here's another one to add to the list:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04aSHgreWRU

Looks like a Tokai, the best view of the headstock is at about 2:55. I imagine this one doesn't get out into the light anymore/

No, the headstock says fender....
DLM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the search function on this forum to find out about more. Smile

There was a black RG550 which he used for a while as a teenager, and I think part of his prize from the Guitarist of the Year competition was a Jackson of some description...
digitalkettle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bender83 wrote:
No, the headstock says fender....

Says Tokai to me @ 2:57 Wink
d-street

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://online-discussion.dhenderson.com/GuthrieGovan/viewtopic.php?t=258&highlight=tokai

Confirmed. The body has a slightly different shape to a Fender too.

They make some lovely guitars and the prices are fantastic. Although I have to say Indie guitars must surely be the best when it comes to price/quality. My cousin got their Les Paul copy and I have to admit while my Les Paul is the superior guitar it's definitely not worth 2000 pound more! It's very very close in quality and sound. I don't know how they do it.
bender83

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep my bad Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: