Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie's All-Suhr Tone with the Badger 30 and Suhr 1x12's
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie's All-Suhr Tone with the Badger 30 and Suhr 1x12's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Guthrie's All-Suhr Tone with the Badger 30 and Suhr 1x12's Reply with quote

Guthrie and I went on another one of our clinic tours after NAMM and here is a clip of Guthrie performing 'Sevens' through an all-Suhr rig of his Signature Set-Neck guitar, a Koko Boost (for the saturated lead parts), the Badger 30 head and a pair of Suhr 1x12 cabs (one with V30 and one with the Heritage G12-65). Both cabs were mic'd and mixed for the recording. This was recorded on Jan 21 at a club called Biscuits & Blues in downtown San Francisco that was sponsored by our Bay Area dealer Nuts & Saddles.

http://www.suhrguitars.com/downloads/audio/govan/sevens.mp3

You can also download the file from here to put into your iTunes library:

https://files.me.com/tomland1/60oq9t.mp3

The outro solo beginning around 6:25 is pretty awesome in its combination of tone, feel, phrasing, creativity and his typically amazing technique. Guthrie himself was very pleased with the guitar sounds and said the Badger sounds "most splendid" here. In fact, Guthrie just ordered the Badger 30 so he can use it for the Bassment gigs and tours in Europe. The only non-Suhr thing you hear on the guitar sound is the Eventide Time Factor delay plugged into the Badger's loop. Really cool!

Is Guthrie going all-Suhr, including the amps? No, nothing is official and he's just trying out many different things right now as he hasn't been able to get the support he needs for the amps from Cornford over the past year or so. So he's been using and demo'ing our amps during the Suhr clinics and shows since the amps are there and he has become comfortable with some of them - mainly the Badger 30 since it's the amp that all of our dealers would have in stock.

With Guthrie, how an amp responds and behaves to his attack and touch is as important as how it sounds. Once you get used to something over a long period of time it takes a while to get used to anything else. Guthrie likes a fairly unforgiving amp with a fast transient attack and which has the definition on the low wound strings in the lower register of the fingerboard. He also likes an amp to have the classic rock type of gain - not the saturated late-80's or early-90's super hot-rodded Marshall or Dual Rectifier type of sounds. That's just not what he's into.

He likes it honest and an amp that simply amplifies the guitar. He takes the acoustic character of the solid-body electric guitar seriously and wants to hear those characteristics coming through the amp. He wants to hear the guitar more than what the amp imparts. So he goes for a balance between preamp gain and the natural overdrive of the power tubes when turned up real loud. IMHO, that's the ideal way to do it. You need to have the power tubes working hard to really get the tone and the feel from the amp. Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
MissMisstreater

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats fantastic news Ed!

I saw he was playing Brunetti, and that sounded great, but the Suhr KILLS!!!

How about the Hedgehog?
Suhr GG modern > peterson strobe 2 > EB wah > Rothwell compressor > Xotic bb+ > Suhr Shiba > Suhr Riot > DE phaser > Analogman bichorus (all in carl martin combinator) > Bogner XTC head > EB volume > Eventide timefactor > cornford 2x12
Garry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cornford should learn that business does not only depend on developing good products. Customer support is something essential. After buying my Hellcat I wrote to them twice with some technical questions and got no answer at all. The former owner of this amp even sent it to them as some components did not seem to be correctly assembled, and he received it back with "everything is OK" as answer. Finally it was an amp luthier who had to do some improvements to make it sound OK. After that he sold it to me as he was so disappointed after this bad experience.

I am sure Guthrie made a good decision. The badger seems to be a good option after listening to this track! Let's see which is his final choice...
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just found this vid today that pertains to Guthrie and is pretty cool. It's a little video documentary about the appeal of vintage guitars and has clips of Guthrie playing a variety of these old guitars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97oVPm0eeQY

This very well highlights the type of sound that Guthrie himself is into. He started out with Elvis and Chuck Berry kinds of stuff and then progressed naturally to the Beatles and the Stones (along with Joe Pass thrown in for good measure) and then onto Cream and Hendrix, etc. It wasn't until he's been doing this kind of stuff for a decade before he discovered the likes of Yngwie and Vai. And then through Vai his next big musical discovery was Zappa. I really believe this slow but natural progression of artists and musical styles that Guthrie absorbed during his young formative years is what made Guthrie into the player he is today.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
jnukes2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clip sounds great. The Badger sounds like like a outstanding substitute for the Cornfords. I have already seen some past clips of him playing through Suhr amps and his tone is always wonderful. I especially love the tone in this clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTwPsPSmEN4

I love how his tone is so dry, a bit high ended, 'woody', dynamically responsive.... honest.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the second track from this gig. This is a jam on Billy Cobham's 'Red Baron' and there's some wah action with the Guyatone WR-3 Auto-Wah and the RMC Picture Wah. The chorus that Guthrie's been using lately is the Providence Anadime analog chorus. Peter Fujii plays the first solo and Guthrie starts his at around 4:00 afterwards. Peter is playing a Suhr Custom TS through a Mesa of some sort. Can't remember which one...

http://www.suhrguitars.com/downloads/audio/govan/redbaron.mp3

https://files.me.com/tomland1/td7ax2.mp3
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
seanathon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fantastic!!!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The files on previous links have expired so you can download those and some new tracks from this memorable "Friday Night In San Francisco" gig here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zvuwicncssf46
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
vinccenzzo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tracks Ed. It was my first time seeing Guthrie play live so it will always be a memorable Friday Night in SF. Any chance to see the videos that were shot that night? I think the other musicians that jammed with him were great.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vinccenzzo wrote:
Thanks for the tracks Ed. It was my first time seeing Guthrie play live so it will always be a memorable Friday Night in SF. Any chance to see the videos that were shot that night? I think the other musicians that jammed with him were great.

Glad you enjoyed the tracks and the show. Nuts & Saddles is working on syncing the audio to the video footage now but it might take a little while. I'm sure it'll come eventually. Yes, considering a short rehearsal in the afternoon and then a gig little afterwards it went really well. It was a very good band.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
jb777

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed thanks so much for that link, the hangover is one of my faves, so rarely played, many thanks
zan1101

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask who the Bass player (and the rest of the band) are ? They really are fantastic - such a great tone on here, thanks for the upload Ed !!!
lienffur

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zan1101 wrote:
Can I ask who the Bass player (and the rest of the band) are ? They really are fantastic - such a great tone on here, thanks for the upload Ed !!!

I got this from the audio track itself (beginning of 'Sevens', so it's only as good as my hearing & subsequent Google skills:-

2nd Guitar - Peter Fujii
Bass - Joel Smith
Drums - Deszon Claiborne

Hope this helps you out!

Cheers,
Neil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: