Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Aristocrats FTW
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aristocrats FTW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
francisco444

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Aristocrats FTW Reply with quote

I can't believe no one has posted about this amazing album yet!!

I've been listening to it since Aug.12 9pm Pac Time. Fuckin mind blowing shit by these guys.

Very nice recording, it has a "live" vibe to it, very raw. The first song is the only one I didn't like the recording of, kind of weird mixing or smthg.
Guthrie's tone is just sick wit fuckin great solos n riffs, Bryan makes rhythm really full and a sweet tone, and Marco is my favorite drummer now, very creative guy.

Don't really have a favorite song, since they are all awesome in their ways. and FINALLY we got a recorded version of Bad Asteroid which I been waiting for years now. I showed this album to some friends, I'm pretty sure they all ordered already hehe.

Leave a comment saying what did and didn't like about the album.
jb777

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love it, the album feel is awesome live and raw theres so much detail in the music too, some of it sparse and they use space brilliantly rather than filling each track as much as they can cause theyre a trio, they use the space so well, i prefer guthries tone here, so raw and full of attitude, i prefer it to a polished studio sound, cant wait for a uk tour.
The Danish Dude

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just recived mine copy Very Happy

This album rocks so hard! I can easily see what Ed ment when he said, it's all about a band and the way they interact.
It's really great. This is truly musicanship on level 12 of Doom.

Now i'm looking forward to listen to this a lot for the next week so it can really sink in.

Thanks!
Yngtchie Blacksteen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving it my first listen today. So far I'm loving it. The songs don't stick to your brain after the first listen, but the whole thing is wholly entertaining and definitely a must-have for anyone with even a passing interest in GG.
francisco444

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh the album has to really sink in. I remember when I first heard EC, I didn't like Slidey Boy and Unkle Skunk. I will always skip them, but later they became one of my favorites. The Uncle Skunk solo is like one of my favorite solos of all time.

I received the CD and shirt today too! the shirt is nice and the album very well made. Fugitive Jack is my favorite song at the moment, Bad Asteroid is probably the easiest song to love at first. My girlfriend who listens to Gaga and all that pop shit LOVES Flatlands and Blues Fuckers, she has me repeat the song everyday.

Can't wait to see them again here in LA area next year. Totally blows your brains out. Amazing interactions from them.
Yngtchie Blacksteen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got home from work, noticed a package in the mailbox. Opened it and found:

Tonight I'm gonna blast this on a proper stereo for the first time. Can't wait!
The Danish Dude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've heard the album a few times by now.

I really love how rewarding this is. Everytime there are new nuances that emerges, and you notice funny new things in the songs.

Also love how Guthrie really sound human. Not so many overdubs so it really sounds real and in your face! Not to "machine" like which can easily happen to this kind of music, when every tapping line is perfect, and not a single note is a little bit more wacky than the others.

Very Happy
Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really outstanding album. And I especially love his clean tones.

Can't wait to see them tonight Very Happy
Mirth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dig the album as well. I've listened to it a few times. I will say at first it didn't grab me, but further listens have proved valuable.

Marco is amazing all over this thing, and the group seems really solid. I wish they were playing near me, I've heard nothing but amazing things about the shows they've played.

I think I might go listen to it again, right now.
www.reverbnation.com/timmirth
Mirth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also like to add, I really like the cleans too. That's my favorite part about it. The guy can't be stopped. You could give him a JC Penny acoustic guitar and he'd tear it up.
www.reverbnation.com/timmirth
d-street

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a totally brilliant album, it's definitely unlike any other album I've heard which is always good! Really enjoying it.

I only have two criticisms I can think of (one of them is barely a criticism).

The first is the low quality to high quality production thing that they do for Boing! I'm In The Back really annoys me. It's a tired old trick that's been used on countless albums and I just don't see the point. It aggravates me more than it should but I think it's because I hold the album in such high esteem.

And the other criticism is Guthrie's guitar tone. Don't get me wrong I think it's completely amazing, it's wonderful. But compared to his mahogany guitar through a Cornford amp I don't think it compares. It does seem like a cleaner canvas he has to work with and you would think that's a good thing but to my ears it sounds slightly more sterile, there's less personality in how it sounds. It may seem like nit picking but it's just a by-product of how much I care!

I've also noticed a lot of people giving out about Cornford which I think is unfair. I think if they could support him they would, but you have to remember it's a very small company with very limited distribution. I would be interested to know what Guthrie's reasons are. Does he simply prefer the Suhr Badger or is more the case that it's much easier to get his hands on the Badger but he'd rather using a Cornford.
francisco444

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d-street wrote:

The low quality to high quality production thing that they do for Boing! I'm In The Back really annoys me. It's a tired old trick that's been used on countless albums and I just don't see the point. It aggravates me more than it should but I think it's because I hold the album in such high esteem.

And the other criticism is Guthrie's guitar tone. Don't get me wrong I think it's completely amazing, it's wonderful. But compared to his mahogany guitar through a Cornford amp I don't think it compares. It does seem like a cleaner canvas he has to work with and you would think that's a good thing but to my ears it sounds slightly more sterile, there's less personality in how it sounds. It may seem like nit picking but it's just a by-product of how much I care!

Boing..I'm in the Back is has grown to be one of my favorites. The point of that underwater background mixing can be confusing but you have to understand the title. The whole song is mixed like that on purpose. The song is very quiet, and in about min 1:20ishh BOING!!! full blast! is a very interesting track. Give it a listen on your car and you'll see.

About Guthrie's tone. I can understand where you are coming from. I've seen him few times with his Set neck and the new antique. The set-neck has a very dark, thick mid rangey tone but I noticed that live in gets lost in the mix. The new antique is more chimey, high mids and dynamically wider and cuts through the mix extremely well. I do wish to see Guthrie play a conford someday again though. Conford are just so big sounding, and very modern.
d-street

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do love the track, it's also one of my favourites. Just the production thing always gets in the way for me. It's not really a big deal though.

I know what you mean about mahogany getting lost in the mix due to it's darkness, although I think a lot of the time the sound engineer mixing the gig has more to do with who is audible than the performer. My take on the guitars tone is that he gave away the midrange honk to eliminate the chance of muddiness but I think he should take the chance, it's worth it!

There's something special about the Cornfords alright. I saw him demoing at the London Music Show through a Cornford and there's just something I can't put my finger that comes out of those amps (not to mention Guthrie's fingers). When your there live hearing it a couple of feet away from you there's just something remarkable about it. It's quite a hard experience to describe. The Badger is great too but I don't think it tops a Cornford.
sumis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd say it has less to do with the cornfords as such, than with the combination of cornford + guthrie. they complimented each other REALLY well ...

on the other hand, hellcat, mk50 and hurricane or roadhouse are pretty different animals, but they had a very similar characteristic in guthrie's hands.

no cornford has given me a guthrie like tone at all though ... Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: