Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Guthrie Legato tone/technique.
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guthrie Legato tone/technique.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chinkee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Guthrie Legato tone/technique. Reply with quote

I have been wondering how Guthrie plays legato lines so perfectly. Like his left hand is so strong at hammerons and pull offs that each note has exactly the same tone and volume. How does one achieve this? Are there exercises that contribute to stronger left hand fingers? Especially when he plays clean every note rings out loud and no buzzing. What is his secret!
vinccenzzo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie's secret is that he's good at what he does.
For us mortals, there are exercises that help develop the legato technique, they're called ....legato exercises, available on any guitar website near you.
I personally find some exercises to get boring after a while so I recommend you learn a song or a solo you like that includes a lot of legato in it. For me it used to be Not of This Earth from Joe Satriani. Find yours. Good luck.
vinccenzzo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low action might help too.
BIOS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the answer from the man himself Wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzph2KdXd_g

BIOS
Chinkee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I am just fascinated by Guthrie's tone when he uses all 4 fingers. It's just so nice and bright. Could it be his pickups or strings? I know he uses Rotosound strings but I dont know what kind of pickups he uses. I love that clean percussive tone he gets.
Adamr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well he uses suhr pickups. just go to the suhr site to find out what ones. i could tell you but im not gonna Wink .

as for legato there's all the exercises you could do . but i believe like vinccenzzo . i practice mine with a lot of joe satriani tracks.

but give it 25years+ of playing and your hands will be that strong.

have a look at videos of billy sheehan now there's a guy i would be frightened of shaking his hand in case he crushed it.
Chinkee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adamr wrote:
well he uses suhr pickups. just go to the suhr site to find out what ones. i could tell you but im not gonna Wink .

as for legato there's all the exercises you could do . but i believe like vinccenzzo . i practice mine with a lot of joe satriani tracks.

but give it 25years+ of playing and your hands will be that strong.

have a look at videos of billy sheehan now there's a guy i would be frightened of shaking his hand in case he crushed it.

Haha I would be frightened as well to shake his hand.

I guess I have 20 years to go then. Hah Shocked
adrianclark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinkee wrote:
Thanks guys. I am just fascinated by Guthrie's tone when he uses all 4 fingers. It's just so nice and bright. Could it be his pickups or strings?

It's his technique. If you want clear, even legato technique with all four fingers, you have to work at it. If you have the basic techniques right, you'll get the sound, regardless of your strings or pickups. Just take your time, and work on each technique in isolation until it starts to sound right.
no_name

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practice Legato since about 2 month and it's amazing how your strength in the left hand builds up. I'm pretty sure if you practice this stuff for about one year you're one step further to be a guitar god Cool

But a question to the Legato-Pros here.......it's normal that it's harder to get it in the higher positions like 12th to 19th fret if you start with this lessons?
Scias

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be put off by the large number of years some people are mentioning. Many people can master a lot of techniques within 5 to 10 years. Putting them all together to create tasteful sounding things can take longer though. Stave vai and Joe satriani are good examples to look to if you want to isolate techniques and practice them one at a time. Some of their songs are even good excersizes.

I remember seeing this video about legato. It might be good if you're an insane holdworth fan. I'm not sure he explains this technique too well but he plays some interesting stuff anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTI2s4svE2s
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: