Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - My Guthrie Guitar Replacement Has Landed!
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Guthrie Guitar Replacement Has Landed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: My Guthrie Guitar Replacement Has Landed! Reply with quote

What used to be known as the Tone Merchants Seductress Number One is BACK!

Reincarnated under the omniscient guiding hand of the mighty Lord Suhr, that is...Laughing

After Guthrie snatched away my dream guitar from my grasp, I wondered if John will be able to duplicate the magic and the sheer beauty of what I lovingly called the TM Seductress Number One. Now I know I will never EVER again doubt John's ability to create a truly magical guitar again.

No two guitars are ever identical because we're dealing with living woods, but within those parameters, John has the God-given ability to recreate the magic every single time. After seeing many dozens of Suhr guitars go through this shop, I know what I wanted for my own personal style and taste. I finally got it and it just happened that Guthrie fell in love with it. So being the lover and patron of high arts that I am, I felt obliged to give it to him to make even greater music with it.

Eventually I finally placed an order for myself to duplicate the one that Guthrie got down to the most minute detail and, yet once again, John exceeds my expectations. I tell ya, even Guthrie won't be able to pry this one away from me. This one's a lifer. So may I introduce to you, the Tone Merchants Suhr Seductress #1, back at Tone Merchants where she belongs!

http://community.webshots.com/album/235918295JkzEwS

Of course, the photos can never do her justice, but you get the idea...

What a great Xmas present! Guthrie, now I don't envy you anymore! Laughing Wink
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy moly, mother of god!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

that guitar looks at least as good as the one you gave guthrie. i'd tend to say this one looks even better. what a mesmerizing top this one has. simply amazing! holy sh*t! Shocked

lucky you... enjoy the beautiful axe... ed, you're on lucky dog! Razz
Noise Epidemic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooooooooooooooh snap. Shocked
frankus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like the Hatori Hanzo of Guitars.. frankly I start getting like my Dad when I look at guitars like that (and recalling the cost) think I'll leave it to the Bill's and Kiddo's of this world.. it's too good for the likes of me.

Ed it's incredible, I see a finish like that on a guitar I start thinking paintshop or the like but that piece of wood has been lovingly selected.

Excellent

I have the power!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now she poses in the sun... Amazing how sunlight changes the overall hue... It gets a much more Orange-ish hue in the sun, but still cool nonetheless... Cool

http://community.webshots.com/album/235918295JkzEwS/1
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankus wrote:
It's like the Hatori Hanzo of Guitars.. frankly I start getting like my Dad when I look at guitars like that (and recalling the cost) think I'll leave it to the Bill's and Kiddo's of this world.. it's too good for the likes of me.

Ed it's incredible, I see a finish like that on a guitar I start thinking paintshop or the like but that piece of wood has been lovingly selected.

Excellent

Thanks. I wouldn't say anything is "too good" for anybody. That's like saying a guitar like this is only good enough for Guthrie. Laughing Ultimately how it sounds and plays is what matters. When you think about it, high-end electric guitars aren't that expensive when you compare one to what a concert pianist or a concert violinist spends on their instruments. A city philharmonic orchestra violinist will typically have to spend over $50K for something even decent. And you know how much top violin virtuosos spend on a Stradivarius. Shocked

But getting back to this guitar, yes, John seems to have gone out of his way to select the best possible top he can get his hands on for this guitar. He knew that I had a hard time giving up the first one to Guthrie and that I longed for it again very much. And it's even lighter... But Guthrie's must have broken in real nice by now. I'm sure it's simply like an extension of his body and he exerts total control over it...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
bill®

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
And you know how much top violin virtuosos spend on a Stradivarius. Shocked

I've never heard of a performer actually OWNING a Stradivari. Most of the time they are owned by banks and lent out to prestigious performers in exchange for a 'Sponsored by...' blurb somewhere and a 'Instrument lent by...' in the program. Stradivari are pretty much priceless.
zea

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errmm , how much will it costs... if getting a new one like that ?
man! ! Shocked
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill® wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
And you know how much top violin virtuosos spend on a Stradivarius. Shocked

I've never heard of a performer actually OWNING a Stradivari. Most of the time they are owned by banks and lent out to prestigious performers in exchange for a 'Sponsored by...' blurb somewhere and a 'Instrument lent by...' in the program. Stradivari are pretty much priceless.

Okay, that makes sense. How many Stradivari violins are out there?

Still, nice high-end custom-made violins, pianos, saxes, upright basses, cellos, etc. are normally easily in the high 5 figures.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zea wrote:
Errmm , how much will it costs... if getting a new one like that ?
man! ! Shocked

This particular one is identical to the one Guthrie has except for one thing: the piezo saddles and output.

This one lists for $4100 and would have a street price of around $2900. The one Guthrie has with piezo option would list for $4380 and sell for $3075 (and another $200 for the Fishman Blender pedal).

Yeah, it's getting up there, but when you compare the quality of the Suhrs to most high-end PRS's, Custom Shop Fenders and Gibsons, Andersons, Tylers, McIntuffs, McNaughts, etc., I think the Suhrs are still a bargain and deliver the best bang for the buck.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
zea

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Suhr make one like Guthrie's but 7 string?? what the approximate cost? any idea Ed? It s so beautiful Exclamation
frankus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Okay, that makes sense. How many Stradivari violins are out there?

3. 1 in Austria, 1 in Germany and 12 in America Wink

I have the power!
bill®

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Still, nice high-end custom-made violins, pianos, saxes, upright basses, cellos, etc. are normally easily in the high 5 figures.

For concert pianos think at least 6 figures, I kid you not. We electric guitarists are very lucky.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill® wrote:
alexkhan wrote:

For concert pianos think at least 6 figures, I kid you not. We electric guitarists are very lucky.

Yeah, I'm sure that top-of-the-line Steinways must start at six figures.

The rig that Guthrie is using for the Fellowship (guitar, pedals, & amp) would probably be in the $6500 range US retail list price-wise. Not cheap but reasonable for a professional rig by an accomplished pro player.

I'll do a tally of the rig that Guthrie will play through for the gigs here in January including the rack stuff. That one will easily surpass $10K and probably push closer to $20K when all put together! Shocked
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zea wrote:
Can Suhr make one like Guthrie's but 7 string?? what the approximate cost? any idea Ed? It s so beautiful Exclamation

I'm sure it can be done, but it may be prohibitively expensive since he would have to order a special bridge, wind special pickups (or get standard Duncan or DiMarzio 7-string pickups), re-program the CNC machines, etc.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: