Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - The Aristocrats - Live DVD/2CD Status Update
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Aristocrats - Live DVD/2CD Status Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's scary to see how good this band is getting. Seriously, the studio album was kind of put together in a hurry with only one live short set during NAMM under their belt 4 months prior. This live recording is after one whole year of tours and dozens of shows all around the world.

They've come to know each other so much better during that time - both musically and personally. There is now an amazing telepathic sort of interplay and cohesiveness between them that just didn't exist when they went into the studio to record the debut album. It's pretty insane.

This DVD is the potential that the band members and I saw at that impromptu NAMM gig finally realized nearly two years later. And you know what? They're just going to keep getting better and better. I can't wait for the Alvas shows in Jan during NAMM and then going on another short tour of CA with the band afterwards.

As you guys may or may not know, I'm no longer the manager of the Aristocrats but I remain a managing partner in the band's Boing Music LLC label. Booking tours and being a tour manager on the road was a little over my head although I really learned an awful lot through the experience.

My main line of work is now being a consultant in the guitar industry working with huge guitar manufacturing companies in Asia (which is the work I did at Fender during the 90's) and their even bigger OEM customers like Fender, Guitar Center, Yamaha, etc. We're talking a ridiculous number of guitars here: in the order of over 100,000 guitars being produced on a monthly basis.

It's really challenging and fun work and I enjoy it a lot more than what I was doing in the tiny boutique segment of the guitar industry. I like dealing with large scale things and the likes of GC and Fender are as large as they get in this business. I also love traveling to Asia every 2~3 months. I need to get out of southern Cal on a regular basis and see other places or I go nuts. I loved touring with the guys but that just isn't my area of expertise.

So, for me, working with Guthrie and this band is purely for the fun and the passion of it. I like it this way much better while helping out the guys on the side with my organizational skills. This way, I can keep this as "play" and my various jobs in the guitar industry strictly "work," which I also enjoy but is strictly work. I'm fortunate to be able to balance both and have the freedom to move around and do what I want to do with my own business.

Anyway, just thought I'd provide this little background of what's going on. I can't wait until this DVD/CD set gets unleashed on the world. It's been a long time coming and it's also just the beginning of more amazing stuff coming from Guthrie in 2013 - including the new album and tours with Steven Wilson.

Also, hopefully, Guthrie can find the time in between to record the next solo album. All I know is that he wants to do that too. It's just really hard for him to find the time to block off to do that when he has to make a living too. Well, in any case, 2013 promises to be a blockbuster year for Guthrie. I can feel it! Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
JohnnyFavorite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear that you're in a good place, Ed.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell you one thing, Guthrie is really big in Asia and getting bigger by the day. I really enjoy spreading the word for him over there. At one of the factories in China I work with, I had a big meeting with the staff one time and showed them a video of Guthrie playing 'Orange Jam' and they were absolutely mesmerized. Even factory managers and workers who really don't have any interest in guitar music were blown away and were asking for copies of the video (since YouTube is not available there). Guthrie has an ability to reach beyond the hardcore guitar nerd crowd and entertain non-players or musicians. Also, as an instrumental artist, his music and playing has a universal sort of appeal in every corner of the globe.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Scias

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is so sad that they don't have youtube or facebook. I know people there who I want to show a lot of stuff to, and its not available on their equivalent websites youku etc

They are missing out on so much, especially stuff by Guthrie Govan!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scias wrote:
It is so sad that they don't have youtube or facebook. I know people there who I want to show a lot of stuff to, and its not available on their equivalent websites youku etc

They are missing out on so much, especially stuff by Guthrie Govan!

Well, they have their own online and social media stuff there. I've seeded a bunch of Guthrie's JamTrackCentral videos with some people to spread around. He's done a couple of clinic tours there and I was with him in Beijing and the clinic drew around 300 people. The funny thing about that clinic was that there was a cat stuck up on where the lights are above the stage and it was meowing really loud but the crew there didn't care. So Guthrie and I just ignored the cat and carried on. Laughing
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
JohnnyFavorite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, besides Korean, do you also speak Mandarin? Just curious.

Looks like the MP3s of the album are available for pre-order on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Boing-Aristocrats-Alvas-Showroom-Explicit/dp/B009ZRYML2/

I'll wait for the CDs/DVD - Boing!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyFavorite wrote:
Ed, besides Korean, do you also speak Mandarin? Just curious.

Looks like the MP3s of the album are available for pre-order on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Boing-Aristocrats-Alvas-Showroom-Explicit/dp/B009ZRYML2/

I'll wait for the CDs/DVD - Boing!

No, I don't speak Mandarin or other Asian languages. They're all different like all the European languages.

Well, that was fast over at Amazon. Yes, you'll want to get the DVD/2CD Deluxe Edition package. That will also have two extra tracks not on the 2CD version - 'See You Next Tuesday' and 'Erotic Cakes' with Guthrie on the Vigier Surfreter fretless guitar.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Texter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just listened to the Frankfurt concert (too much to watch for my ancient CPU lol)...awesome.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The long-awaited live DVD/2CD album has now been officially announced for Dec 10 release. Here's the DVD cover art.

.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.

Last edited by alexkhan on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
JohnnyFavorite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news Ed. Looking forward to it.

Any idea when it'll be available for pre-order?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyFavorite wrote:
Great news Ed. Looking forward to it.

Any idea when it'll be available for pre-order?

I'd say in 7~10 days, well before Thanksgiving and before I depart for another long trip to Asia.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the track list for the DVD/2CD Deluxe Edition:

Bad Asteroid
Greasy Wheel
Boing!... I'm In The Back
Flatlands
I Want A Parrot
Blues Fuckers
Waves

Get It Like That
Furtive Jack
Train Trax
Cave Dweller
Mr. Kempinski
See You Next Tuesday
Dance Of The Aristocrats
A Very Metal Introduction
Sweaty Knockers
Erotic Cakes

The DVD concert portion is slightly over 2 hours and 30 minutes. The DVD also has some bonus features like interviews with each of the three members plus some audio outtakes from the soundcheck. Lots of cool stuff. Cool
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew~ Just set up all the different types of packages for the online store on the Aristocrats site. We'll have a new T-shirt as well to go with the Deluxe Edition DVD/2CD and the 2CD album. The start of the preorder date will probably be before Thanksgiving or Black Friday at the latest.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Yngtchie Blacksteen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found these in the mailbox when I got home from vacation last night:

(Already had the CD, of course, but I only realized it was part of the deluxe package after I'd finished the order. D'oh! Oh well, I'll prolly give it away to someone I know would appreciate the music.)

Watching the DVD as we speak, loving the performance, and the mix is also very good. Got a few bootleg concerts, and I think this is quite on par with those, performance-wise. Still a bit bored with some of the songs, like "I Want a Parrot". I would've liked another EC one instead, like "Ner Ner" or "Sevens", but it's a minor quibble.

Well worth it, now all we need is a Norway gig and a new studio album(Aristocrats or Guthrie, either would be great).
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Very Happy Happy New Year! I'm sure the band will make it out to Norway eventually.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Govan Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: