Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Video of Chinese Girl Performing Caprice No. 24 on Classical
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Video of Chinese Girl Performing Caprice No. 24 on Classical

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Video of Chinese Girl Performing Caprice No. 24 on Classical Reply with quote

A young Chinese female prodigy (supposedly 15 years old when this video was filmed) Lie Jie Aeh plays Paganini's classic Caprice No. 24 on this video that's pretty mind-boggling to watch.

http://miranda.mine.nu/~dahonk/Paganini_Caprice_no_24.wmv-link.wmv

I have an old John Williams album of him playing all of the Caprices and also the one by Eliot Fisk and they're pretty amazing, but to see this tiny girl who's dwarfed by the classical guitar get around on that neck and fingerpick the way she does takes it to a whole new level. Awesome!
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.

Last edited by alexkhan on Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another link if you're having problems with the first link as some have reported.

http://melos.cau.ac.kr/zboard/view.php?id=data_video&page=2&category=&sn=off&ss=on&sc=on&keyword=&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=62
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
shredrulez

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy crap!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked makes us closet shredders look mighty meek, doesn't she? Laughing that's absolutely amazing! thanks for the link.
bill®

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She truly does have incredible technique. From a fundamental perspective, there's not much difference between her left hand and John Williams'.
Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn Shocked
jordan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting you've bought this up....it's quite an old clip, and a friend of mine saw the girl play in the north of the UK a few weeks ago (I believe she's now about 20-odd years old). His impression was that she is still an incredible player.

Classical guitar seems not to be mentioned here much, so what are your thoughts? Personally I've found classical gigs to be too much of a recital and not enough of a performance. I saw John Williams and Tommy Emmanuel within a week of each other back in November, and personally I got far more out of the Tommy Emmanuel show.

Any other thoughts?
dave...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that watching that whilst i had a guitar in my hands wasnt advisable. Makes everything i do seem VULGAR in the extreme.

But i absolutely agree with jordan. All i got from that video was 'bloody hell shes good. ooo i wonder what those chords are?'

artistically, did it challenge me? no. did it give me goosepimples? no.

its some of the greatest guitar playing ive ever seen. can i say, then, that that is the greatest thing i've ever seen? no. because it's just about someone and their ego, i feel.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classical music and training is often thought of as machine-like training by folks in the "pop" mediums like rock, blues, jazz, etc., but that doesn't mean they don't play with emotion, feel, and passion. I don't think you could put a piece of music and performance like this and put it next to something that BB King would play. One isn't better than the other or have more emotion than the other. I think it's really all in the context of the music being played. How often do we play pentatonic licks with gut-wrenching feel that really comes out from the bottom of our hearts?

With classical music, it's easier to get dazzled by technique and the difficulty of the music being executed with such precision and finesse, but music like this could move me (or many others) as much as (or even more than) an SRV bend. This particular performance, to me, was a little dry in terms of emotional content, but I thought it had a good deal of passion that captures the spirit of the original composition. I hear that this is a real old video and that she's in her early-20's now and still performing all over the world. I'm sure that with maturity, she's even more interesting to listen to and watch.

Classical guitar, overall, isn't something that I'm into. I tried to get into a bit in the past but it's so institutionalized and has such a stuffy environment surrounding it. It's a real hermit-like world (the bluegrass world also strikes me as such). The repertoire seems to be the same obligatory stuff over and over again (including this Caprice No. 24 that can only be tackled by true virtuosos) and it's not something I could sustain an interest in for any measurable length of time. That being said, great classical players are just amazing to watch every now and then, like Miss Li here. I also love the sound of the nylon-string guitar. There's nothing quite like it. I would really love to hear Guthrie play it (with pick or with fingers) sometime...
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Xue Fei Yang Reply with quote

Check out this Chinese girl as well:

http://www.xuefeiyang.com/

She seems more accomplished and is certainly more established in the world of classical guitar than Lie Jie at this point in time.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Open Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: