Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Question about "harmonics strum"
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about "harmonics strum"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terje_t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Question about "harmonics strum" Reply with quote

I was watching this cool up close run-through of Culture Clash on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvFYxEtqQ24

At around 11:15 Guthrie is playing some beautiful sounding chords. I love the high strum he does over the second one, which he describes as a Bb altered dominant. His left hand is holding this chord I think:

Code:

E ----
B --7--
G --7--
D --6--
A --5--
E --6--

.. and then from the looks of it he's strumming the first harmonic, halfway to the bridge from the chord shape he's holding, somewhat slanted across the 19th fret. I do get a harmonic there if I just tap it lightly with my right hand index finger while holding the chord with my left hand, but I am nowhere near getting that strong beautiful strum that Guthrie is able to! Does anyone have any tips?

The whole video is worth the watch for a great lesson in polyrythms!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Techniques, Theory, and Musical Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: