Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - NAD: Friedman BE100
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAD: Friedman BE100

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:19 am    Post subject: NAD: Friedman BE100 Reply with quote

Yes, I'm quite happy with my Axe-Fx II and Atomic CLR rig (as well as the new Atomic Amplifire) but I found that I do need a good tube amp rig around for R&D purposes when testing new .strandberg* prototypes and pickups that go in them. So, yes, this is for practical business reasons but I will fully admit that I did every now and then miss playing through great all-tube handwired amps like I was able to do when I had a store full of awesome tube amps running Tone Merchants. Wink

The thing that got me really interested in the Friedman BE/HBE100 is that it has been my favorite amp model from the day I got the Axe-Fx II around 18 months ago. Of all the amp models contained in the Axe-Fx, the Friedman BE and HBE patches just spoke to me and felt and sounded the best for what I like to do. And I found it interesting that Guthrie felt the same when we talk about the Axe-Fx.

So, knowing that I'll need to test pickups and different wood combinations and things like that for new .strandberg* guitars in development, I decided that I do need a good all-tube amp rig around and the Friedman was the easy choice. I have been following the boutique world from a distance and it was also quite clear to me that Friedman is the most "happening" boutique amp company around right now and that made me even more curious.

During some free time I had at NAMM, I visited the Friedman booth and hooked up with my old buddy Rob Navarette who essentially owns and runs the Tone Merchants and Friedman businesses. I expressed my interest in picking up a BE100 and a matching 2x12 cab and he was like, "Huh? I thought you are a full-on Axe-Fx guy now?" Laughing So I told him that the Friedman models are my favorite in the Axe-Fx and I really could use a real tube amp rig for other business purposes as well. Of course, Rob was happy to hear that. Smile

Well, so the Friedman BE100 rig is now in the house and it really is an awesome amp - the best I've heard and played for a "hot-rodded" Marshall sound and feel. The term "best" is, of course, subjective but I've tried a bunch over the years and this one is really special and it just feels and sounds better than anything else to me. It's raw and unforgiving like all the good old Marshalls I've tried but still sounds sweet with more "modern" gain on tap than I could ever use.

Of course, threads like these are useless without pics so here they are! Very Happy

Obviously, it's an overwhelmingly powerful rig for the bedroom but I will be setting up a .strandberg* USA office/showroom/DC in Chino this summer so that'll be a great place to crank it up every now and then when everyone else nearby have gone home for the day. I'll probably get a Fender clean amp of some sort then for testing purposes to mate with this Friedman as well as the Axe-Fx rig. The reality is that a good percentage of players have no interest in playing through modelers so Ola and I do have to cater to them.

But to properly test this amp in its full glory, it does need to be turned up and get the power tubes cooking and that can't be done at home or even in a industrial unit setting so I did some research and it has become obvious to me that I need one of these:

http://www.fryette.com/power-station-integrated-reactance-amplifier/

So I hooked up with Steve Fryette recently and got one on order. Now this is the kind of stuff that I find very interesting and exciting in the "boutique" world - really useful with the perfect balance between features and performance and which provides elegant solutions to problems we guitar players deal with.

So, yes, I'm back in the boutique. Haha. But the purposes are different. I'm looking forward to relocating in Chino Hills this summer as I will also be much closer to the scene in Hollywood, which is almost impossible to do out in the boonies where I currently live and have lived for nearly 10 years.

My new part-time but very demanding job of running the .strandberg* USA operation will require me to build partnerships and alliances with various gear companies in LA as well as for artist relations and other promotional duties like working with MI, the studios, other gear companies' (both large and small) A/R offices, dealers, live music scene, the press, etc. I'll be getting very active making connections and weaving them together. As Guthrie likes to say, "Watch this space!" Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
terje_t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking real good!

It just so happens I upgraded my Line6 Pod HD500X to a Kemper recently, and one of my absolute favorite profiles so far is a series of profiles of a BE100 made in a collaborative fashion over at the Kemper forum (http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/17933-Have-amps-will-profile-the-BE100-Lets-make-some-profiles/?pageNo=1).

I've never tried the real thing but I played a gig with the BE100 and a Friedman Smallbox 50 profile a week after I got it and couldn't be happier! Great feel, amazing sound, and extremely responsive to volume control and pick attack. I don't know wether to thank Kemper, the kind forum user, or Friedman. Probably all three! Wink

Trying to curb my GAS over the OS 7 at the moment since I'm in the U.S. for a few weeks on holiday and could potentially get one. Still waiting for my Charvel to arrive at home!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I'd love to try a Kemper someday soon. From what I've heard, it seems like one needs to load it up with really good outside profiles to really get what it's capable of instead of relying on the factory presets. I find that a little odd that the factory presets aren't some of the best profiles available.

The Kemper seems really cool. I'm sure I'll get around to trying it and probably owning it as well. Haha. So much great guitar gear out there today that really do the job. As I keep saying, it's a great time to be a guitar player as far as the availability of gear is concerned. There's so much competition so that keeps the prices down to a reasonable level and the quality and features keep getting better and better.

Hope you get your long-awaited Charvel GG real soon! Very Happy
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
terje_t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cool. I'd love to try a Kemper someday soon. From what I've heard, it seems like one needs to load it up with really good outside profiles to really get what it's capable of instead of relying on the factory presets. I find that a little odd that the factory presets aren't some of the best profiles available.

You might well be right about that! Although to be honest I haven't really even given the factory presets a real shot, I think it just got a bit overwhelming after the first couple days of playing with it and I went from just trying out everything to seeking out sounds I knew I wanted instead. So I ended up downloading a few free profiles and buying a couple commercial ones. So now I have the two Friedmans, a Vox AC30 that belongs to Abbey Road (how cool is that?!) an Evil Robot and a Marshall kit. They all sound incredible to my ears and are so much fun to play with I end up sitting with it for hours on end.

One of the commercial profilers, The Amp Factory (http://www.theampfactory.com), are working on a set of Victory profiles at the moment. I think he has the whole range. So I might well have to spring for those too when they come out!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

terje_t wrote:
Quote:

You might well be right about that! Although to be honest I haven't really even given the factory presets a real shot, I think it just got a bit overwhelming after the first couple days of playing with it and I went from just trying out everything to seeking out sounds I knew I wanted instead. So I ended up downloading a few free profiles and buying a couple commercial ones. So now I have the two Friedmans, a Vox AC30 that belongs to Abbey Road (how cool is that?!) an Evil Robot and a Marshall kit. They all sound incredible to my ears and are so much fun to play with I end up sitting with it for hours on end.

One of the commercial profilers, The Amp Factory (http://www.theampfactory.com), are working on a set of Victory profiles at the moment. I think he has the whole range. So I might well have to spring for those too when they come out!

Yes, I know what you mean about being overwhelmed by all the options available in these super high-tech amplification devices. I've still only scratched the surface of what the Axe-Fx II is capable of and I think that's where I'll leave it. I just want to plug in and play these days although I can certainly do that with the Axe-Fx as well with the presets I've programmed.

Glad to know that you're really enjoying the Kemper. Digital really has come a long way, hasn't it? I was an early digital adopter from the 90's. I owned the Line 6 stuff, the Johnson Millennium (remember that one?), Roland VG-8 and the H&K zenTera (remember that one as well?). Then I started the Tone Merchants business and just gave up on modelers and didn't even pay attention to them during my years there and at Suhr.

Now the digital stuff is just so good in both sound and feel and offers so much more flexibility and versatility in much more compact and portable packages than typical tube/analog rigs. There's no doubt to me that digital has truly arrived and will become the dominant amplification platform in the future but the tube diehards will still be around for a while. For someone like Guthrie or other pros with their specific and original personal sounds and styles, a simple tube amp rig works just fine and is more predictable and controllable in live situations.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently discovered a great player named Nick Johnston through the Aristocrats as Bryan and Marco played on his latest album with Guthrie contributing as a guest. Check out this video of him playing through a Friedman. Great tone and really tasty playing.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=842942385752409
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
petros

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, I think I saw a Friedman amp in GG's recording booth in your pix from the latest Aristocrats studio recording session?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petros wrote:
btw, I think I saw a Friedman amp in GG's recording booth in your pix from the latest Aristocrats studio recording session?

Ah, yes. Well, those photos were taken by Thomas Nordegg, Steve Vai's long-time guitar tech and a huge fan of Guthrie's.

When I got the amp from Rob at Friedman a little after NAMM, I told Guthrie about it and he expressed interest in trying it out during the session. Guthrie had tried the BE100 at Make'n Music in Chicago a few years ago when he was there to do a masterclass and said that he liked the sound and the feel of it.

So it made sense for him to give it a whirl during the session and it seems the amp worked out well in conjunction with the Victory V50 and the V10 combo. I picked it up after the session was finished and am very happy to have it in my possession now. It really is a great sounding amp.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
petros

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
petros wrote:

Ah, yes. Well, those photos were taken by Thomas Nordegg, Steve Vai's long-time guitar tech and a huge fan of Guthrie's.

When I got the amp from Rob at Friedman a little after NAMM, I told Guthrie about it and he expressed interest in trying it out during the session. Guthrie had tried the BE100 at Make'n Music in Chicago a few years ago when he was there to do a masterclass and said that he liked the sound and the feel of it.

So it made sense for him to give it a whirl during the session and it seems the amp worked out well in conjunction with the Victory V50 and the V10 combo. I picked it up after the session was finished and am very happy to have it in my possession now. It really is a great sounding amp.

Oh cool, so we'll actually hear your amp on the next record?
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petros wrote:
alexkhan wrote:
petros wrote:

Oh cool, so we'll actually hear your amp on the next record?

Yes, this amp has the Guthrie mojo and will be heard to some degree in the new Aristocrats studio album. Cool I'm not sure how much it was used for the guitar sounds on the album. Guthrie likes to blend in different amps in studio settings.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the opposite end of the scale/spectrum from hi-tech gear like the new Apple 13" MBP Retina (along with the amazing Samsung 1TB SSD) I just got, there's the good ole analog tube amp rig and I finally added the Freyette Power Station to the Friedman BE100 2x12 setup.

The thing is hefty for sure as you can see from the photos below and weighs in at 15 pounds - about 240 times more than the new Samsung SSD. Laughing But that's the analog world. It's about big iron. Overall, when you consider that the Power Station is not only an attenuator but a 50w tube amp, it's fairly compact and portable.

Well, the important thing is how it sounds and how it performs and this thing is just as AMAZING as the Samsung T1 SSD in a completely different way. It sounds and feels glorious. I have tried many attenuators over the years and there wasn't a single unit I cared for. They all seemed to squash the tone with a real compressed feeling and it was also virtually impossible to get the volume exactly where you wanted.

The Power Station changes all that - even at a whisper bedroom volume level it sounds and feels great. The BE100's master volume works very well but it does not compare to this where I can now use the master as a secondary gain control while turning down the preamp gain and use the volume on the Power Station to set the level exactly where I want it with fine control.

The build quality is superb. It's built like a tank and it's amazing to think that this is also a 50w power amp with a pair of 6L6 power tubes. There is nothing else even remotely close to this out there. Steve Freyette really hit a home run with this one. He nailed it. And the price is excellent when you consider all the features on this wondrous device.

I also picked up a TC Electronic Flashback delay pedal along with some cables to hook it up to the Power Station's effects loop but I haven't gotten to doing that yet. For now, it's a purely dry sound with no effects and I love it. After a little while I'll work in the delay and then get the TC Hall of Fame reverb pedal somewhat later. A little echo and reverb every now and then is all I need for something like this.

Now I really feel like I'm getting most out of the BE100 now. It felt a little silly to have a monster amp like this in the bedroom with the gain cranked up (at around 7) and the master at 1. With the Power Station I can dial back the gain to 5 and push the master to 4~5 to really get the power tubes to work hard. The difference is night-and-day. The feel is so much better with much greater touch sensitivity and dynamics. Really, really cool... Cool

I can't recommend the Power Station highly enough. If you have a high-powered (30~100w) tube head you need this to get the most out of it without blowing your walls down or getting chased off the stage by the venue owner. Wink It can also make your low-powered amp (25w or below) much louder - a concept that I had never even considered. This is a very innovative product and it works extremely well. This is the most impressive tube amp/device I had seen in a very long time. I have to say that I'm in total gear bliss these days. Very Happy

.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
petros

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
At the opposite end of the scale/spectrum from hi-tech gear like the new Apple 13" MBP Retina (along with the amazing Samsung 1TB SSD) I just got, there's the good ole analog tube amp rig and I finally added the Freyette Power Station to the Friedman BE100 2x12 setup.

The thing is hefty for sure as you can see from the photos below and weighs in at 15 pounds - about 240 times more than the new Samsung SSD. Laughing But that's the analog world. It's about big iron. Overall, when you consider that the Power Station is not only an attenuator but a 50w tube amp, it's fairly compact and portable.

Well, the important thing is how it sounds and how it performs and this thing is just as AMAZING as the Samsung T1 SSD in a completely different way. It sounds and feels glorious. I have tried many attenuators over the years and there wasn't a single unit I cared for. They all seemed to squash the tone with a real compressed feeling and it was also virtually impossible to get the volume exactly where you wanted.

The Power Station changes all that - even at a whisper bedroom volume level it sounds and feels great. The BE100's master volume works very well but it does not compare to this where I can now use the master as a secondary gain control while turning down the preamp gain and use the volume on the Power Station to set the level exactly where I want it with fine control.

The build quality is superb. It's built like a tank and it's amazing to think that this is also a 50w power amp with a pair of 6L6 power tubes. There is nothing else even remotely close to this out there. Steve Freyette really hit a home run with this one. He nailed it. And the price is excellent when you consider all the features on this wondrous device.

I also picked up a TC Electronic Flashback delay pedal along with some cables to hook it up to the Power Station's effects loop but I haven't gotten to doing that yet. For now, it's a purely dry sound with no effects and I love it. After a little while I'll work in the delay and then get the TC Hall of Fame reverb pedal somewhat later. A little echo and reverb every now and then is all I need for something like this.

Now I really feel like I'm getting most out of the BE100 now. It felt a little silly to have a monster amp like this in the bedroom with the gain cranked up (at around 7) and the master at 1. With the Power Station I can dial back the gain to 5 and push the master to 4~5 to really get the power tubes to work hard. The difference is night-and-day. The feel is so much better with much greater touch sensitivity and dynamics. Really, really cool... Cool

I can't recommend the Power Station highly enough. If you have a high-powered (30~100w) tube head you need this to get the most out of it without blowing your walls down or getting chased off the stage by the venue owner. Wink It can also make your low-powered amp (25w or below) much louder - a concept that I had never even considered. This is a very innovative product and it works extremely well. This is the most impressive tube amp/device I had seen in a very long time. I have to say that I'm in total gear bliss these days. Very Happy

Stop it! It's hard to type on a fully-salivated upon keyboard!
alexkhan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. Laughing Yeah, so much great gear out there these days - stuff we couldn't have even dreamed of only 10 years ago. I choose mine very carefully after all the gear I've been through over the 25 years I've been in this industry and I can't be happier with the stuff I have now - which is for both business and pleasure.

The Freyette Power Station is really amazing. I have to say it's the most innovative and useful tube amplification device I've encountered since I got into the "boutique" business in 2002 when I started Tone Merchants.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I decided I need a few more components to make this BE100/Power Station rig exactly to my liking and got the TC Electronic Flashback and Hall of Fame pedals to kick in a bit of echo/delay and ambience every now and then. Well, one great perk of working at GC is I can buy products at GC's cost so that's cool. Cool

The TC pedals are fine. Perhaps there are some "better" pedals out there but I don't see the point of splitting hairs on such things anymore. Hey, they're what Guthrie uses for his live rigs and if they're good enough for Guthrie, they're certainly good enough for me. Laughing

I don't want to add anything more. Amps like these sound and feel the best when you plug direct into it without anything in between the guitar and the amp. This amp certainly doesn't need things like compressor, boost, overdrive, distortion, fuzz, etc. and I really don't use a wah much. I can use all this stuff virtually on the Axe-Fx anyway. I want to keep this all-tube rig simple.

It's a little strange but I've come to really dislike the sound of chorus. The only kind of chorus I've come to like is how Guthrie uses it for a Leslie effect to get a bit of that Hammond vibe but it's not something I'd use anyway. Most chorus sounds remind me of the cheesy 80's. I know that there are still quite a few players who try to mimic the 80's rack sounds but that kind of stuff has become nauseating to me. And if I ever wanted to indulge in that I can always recall some patches from the Axe-Fx anyway. Wink

Anyway, really loving the BE100 through the Power Station. As mentioned before, the PS totally justifies having a 100w all-tube head in the bedroom now. Laughing The BE100 has a great master volume but getting the EL34 power tubes cooking does make a good deal of difference - especially in terms of feel. I have to say that the BE100 is my favorite hot-rodded Marshall kind of amp of all time. For me, it's just the best I've ever heard or felt.

Like the Strandberg, Guthrie is the one who got me into Friedman. When he tells me that something is really good and that I should check it out, I will definitely seek it out. The Friedman BE and HBE100 patches in the Axe-Fx became my favorites and that got me even more intrigued. Now that I have the real thing it sounds and feels even better - especially with the PowerStation. Really can't be happier with the guitars and the rig I have. This is, by far, the best guitar gear I've ever owned. Sounds and feels amazing, is extremely versatile and flexible, awesome for low volume playing (including with headphones), fairly compact and portable if necessary, can play my music library and backing tracks through it, etc. What more can I possibly want? Very Happy

.strandberg* Guitars USA
Guitar Center Inc.
Carlo

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a sick fuckin rig!!!

I remember trying the BE100 at a store one time, and the sound really drew some crowds and one guy ended up buying it on the spot afterwards Laughing It does the Eddie sleazy Marshall tone thing, but with it's own mojo going on....it's a tad tighter and punchier in the right places...enough to do more modern stuff and not just a one-trick pony. I would love to own one day.

I think with the wealth of attenuationt/load options we have today, such the power station, two notes torpedo, etc...it seems like owning a beast of an amp like that is totally feasible in any living situation now.

I probably said this before, but I love how neat and efficient your set up looks Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: