Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - GG's guitar cable?
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GG's guitar cable?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petros

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: GG's guitar cable? Reply with quote

Greetings!

I've been recently wondering as to what guitar cable Guthrie uses? I'm especially interested in what cable he's got at the very front of the signal chain, i.e., b/tw the guitar and the first pedal.

I've been looking into various options for myself, and wouldn't mind being inspired by the Maestro himself. It's an important rig choice.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I'm not sure. The main cable from the guitar to the first device on his pedalboard seems to change every now and then and I haven't bothered to look. I'm pretty sure his elaborate Steven Wilson rig is all Lava cables.

Cables are important to a degree but it's easy to go overboard in stating its importance in the big scheme of things. I used to be into testing all kinds of high-end boutique cables and comparing them when I was running Tone Merchants but I really don't care too much anymore.

You can certainly tell the differences when testing the different cables in a quiet room with nothing else going on but in a live band situation those kinds of details are easily lost and become much less important, if not meaningless...

I still like the Evidence Audio cables and I know that Guthrie have used them in the past but, like I said, he has many cables from different manufacturers and I'm pretty certain he hasn't sat down to compare them. I'll ask when I get a chance but we normally have other more pressing business stuff to talk about so I'm not sure when I'll get to find out what his main cable from the guitar is.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
petros

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Honestly, I'm not sure. The main cable from the guitar to the first device on his pedalboard seems to change every now and then and I haven't bothered to look. I'm pretty sure his elaborate Steven Wilson rig is all Lava cables.

Cables are important to a degree but it's easy to go overboard in stating its importance in the big scheme of things. I used to be into testing all kinds of high-end boutique cables and comparing them when I was running Tone Merchants but I really don't care too much anymore.

You can certainly tell the differences when testing the different cables in a quiet room with nothing else going on but in a live band situation those kinds of details are easily lost and become much less important, if not meaningless...

I still like the Evidence Audio cables and I know that Guthrie have used them in the past but, like I said, he has many cables from different manufacturers and I'm pretty certain he hasn't sat down to compare them. I'll ask when I get a chance but we normally have other more pressing business stuff to talk about so I'm not sure when I'll get to find out what his main cable from the guitar is.

LOL, no need to ask him. I was just curious if he was consistent at all, because it if had been you would have noticed. But I agree that people can go overboard. My favourite example is one fusion player (whom I like) that uses this extremely short cable because he claims than a cable any longer that would result in a loss of fatness. With all due respect, I think that's bogus.
alexkhan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petros wrote:
alexkhan wrote:

LOL, no need to ask him. I was just curious if he was consistent at all, because it if had been you would have noticed. But I agree that people can go overboard. My favourite example is one fusion player (whom I like) that uses this extremely short cable because he claims than a cable any longer that would result in a loss of fatness. With all due respect, I think that's bogus.

I know exactly who you're talking about. Laughing That's just one of many quirky things he insists on for the sake of "tone" - like removing the paint on the steel block attached to the bridge plate. He sure gives Eric Johnson a run for the money in that department! Laughing

You know, I used to get obsessive with this kind of stuff as well for a while around a decade ago when I was at TM but I've come to see that it's just endless tail-chasing that's counterproductive to why we pick up the guitar in the first place: to make music. Instead, there are so many people who spend more time nitpicking over minute things that really don't matter and then spend countless hours on the Internet arguing about them. Oh well, if that turns them on more than actually playing and making some music, more power to 'em. Haha.
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
petros

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
petros wrote:
alexkhan wrote:

I know exactly who you're talking about. Laughing That's just one of many quirky things he insists on for the sake of "tone" - like removing the paint on the steel block attached to the bridge plate. He sure gives Eric Johnson a run for the money in that department! Laughing

You know, I used to get obsessive with this kind of stuff as well for a while around a decade ago when I was at TM but I've come to see that it's just endless tail-chasing that's counterproductive to why we pick up the guitar in the first place: to make music. Instead, there are so many people who spend more time nitpicking over minute things that really don't matter and then spend countless hours on the Internet arguing about them. Oh well, if that turns them on more than actually playing and making some music, more power to 'em. Haha.

I agree. What strikes me, though, is that the same people who will accommodate requests like the above would not have wanted to produce their own custom bridge/etc that the folks at Charvel were willing to when GG requested better tuning stability. Weird?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: