Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - Back from A Hiatus...
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

 

 
Back from A Hiatus...

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
alexkhan



Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Posts: 2783
Location: Chino, CA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Back from A Hiatus... Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I posted here but I think I'll be able to attend to this forum more as 2015 comes to a close.

It had been a crazy busy year for me with my full-time "day job" at Guitar Center corporate overseeing the QC and setup operation for the company's private labels brands stringed instruments (with numerous business trips to Asia), setting up and running the Strandberg USA operation, overseeing the release and distribution of three new Aristocrats albums throughout the first-half of the year, and doing marketing consultation work for a large Asian guitar manufacturer.

So, literally, it has been 60~80 hour workweeks for most of this year and I just could not find the time to even check up on this forum. Glad to see that frankus was able to pop in a few times during my absence. But now the busiest time of the year at GC is over, the Strandberg operation is running smoothly and the business is booming, and the Aristocrats are touring so the workload for Boing Music LLC is greatly reduced so I'm finally caught up on things and can look forward to a new future.

The "new" future is that I am leaving GC at the end of this year and will work full-time at Strandberg in January to take on the "COO" role of overseeing all operations - supply chain, sourcing, quality, logistics, distribution, sales, customer service and artist relations. Essentially, I'll oversee the operations of the entire chain from working with the factroies in Asia to interfacing with the distributors and dealers worldwide as well as end-user customers and artists. This will free up Ola Strandberg to focus on product development and marketing (as well as the finance, legal and IT areas) as we work together on developing new products at a variety of price points (still high-end $1000-and-up) from numerous manufacturing sources.

But, being the incurable workaholic that I am, I will still continue consulting large guitar companies on the side as well as running the Boing Music LLC label business and managing Guthrie's business affairs in the US. So I expect to be as busy as ever overall but it won't be anything quite as crazy as the last 8~9 months or so. It seems I'll be able to dovetail my new Strandberg role with my consultation duties (which will include consulting GC) so things will be much more efficient and much less disjointed.

Anyway, thought I'd share this news and that I hope to be more involved with this forum and post interesting blogs every now and then. Guthrie is as busy as ever as well with the Aristocrats tours, clinic tours, and an upcoming tour in Europe with Hans Zimmer. Still no word on when he'll get to working on his next solo album but I guess that'll happen when it happens. In any case, 2016 promises to be a very exciting year.

Cheers!
_________________
Ed Yoon
Certified Guthrie Fan-atic
BOING Music LLC - Managing Partner
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
petros



Joined: 26 Feb 2015
Posts: 77
Location: Cambridge, UK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Back from A Hiatus... Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I posted here but I think I'll be able to attend to this forum more as 2015 comes to a close.

It had been a crazy busy year for me with my full-time "day job" at Guitar Center corporate overseeing the QC and setup operation for the company's private labels brands stringed instruments (with numerous business trips to Asia), setting up and running the Strandberg USA operation, overseeing the release and distribution of three new Aristocrats albums throughout the first-half of the year, and doing marketing consultation work for a large Asian guitar manufacturer.

So, literally, it has been 60~80 hour workweeks for most of this year and I just could not find the time to even check up on this forum. Glad to see that frankus was able to pop in a few times during my absence. But now the busiest time of the year at GC is over, the Strandberg operation is running smoothly and the business is booming, and the Aristocrats are touring so the workload for Boing Music LLC is greatly reduced so I'm finally caught up on things and can look forward to a new future.

The "new" future is that I am leaving GC at the end of this year and will work full-time at Strandberg in January to take on the "COO" role of overseeing all operations - supply chain, sourcing, quality, logistics, distribution, sales, customer service and artist relations. Essentially, I'll oversee the operations of the entire chain from working with the factroies in Asia to interfacing with the distributors and dealers worldwide as well as end-user customers and artists. This will free up Ola Strandberg to focus on product development and marketing (as well as the finance, legal and IT areas) as we work together on developing new products at a variety of price points (still high-end $1000-and-up) from numerous manufacturing sources.

But, being the incurable workaholic that I am, I will still continue consulting large guitar companies on the side as well as running the Boing Music LLC label business and managing Guthrie's business affairs in the US. So I expect to be as busy as ever overall but it won't be anything quite as crazy as the last 8~9 months or so. It seems I'll be able to dovetail my new Strandberg role with my consultation duties (which will include consulting GC) so things will be much more efficient and much less disjointed.

Anyway, thought I'd share this news and that I hope to be more involved with this forum and post interesting blogs every now and then. Guthrie is as busy as ever as well with the Aristocrats tours, clinic tours, and an upcoming tour in Europe with Hans Zimmer. Still no word on when he'll get to working on his next solo album but I guess that'll happen when it happens. In any case, 2016 promises to be a very exciting year.

Cheers!


Ed, so great to see you back!!! And many congratulations and best of luck on your new full-time position with Strandberg. For some reason, I saw it coming Smile

I read in an interview that GG was working on some electronic music?
_________________
Pete
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
alexkhan



Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Posts: 2783
Location: Chino, CA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Back from A Hiatus... Reply with quote

petros wrote:


Ed, so great to see you back!!! And many congratulations and best of luck on your new full-time position with Strandberg. For some reason, I saw it coming Smile

I read in an interview that GG was working on some electronic music?


Good to be back and finally being able to breathe again. Whew~ It's been a crazy year. Very Happy Yeah, super excited about this Strandberg gig. It's great to be able to focus on something I have a great deal of passion for like I had when I was at Suhr.

Haven't seen that GG interview and Guthrie's got so many things spinning on his plate as far as future projects that I can't keep up. Guthrie has talked about doing something in the electronic/techno genre for a while. If anyone can properly marry electronica with over-the-top guitar playing I sure can't think of anyone better than Guthrie. Cool
_________________
Ed Yoon
Certified Guthrie Fan-atic
BOING Music LLC - Managing Partner
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
petros



Joined: 26 Feb 2015
Posts: 77
Location: Cambridge, UK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Back from A Hiatus... Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:

Haven't seen that GG interview and Guthrie's got so many things spinning on his plate as far as future projects that I can't keep up. Guthrie has talked about doing something in the electronic/techno genre for a while. If anyone can properly marry electronica with over-the-top guitar playing I sure can't think of anyone better than Guthrie. Cool


It's here: http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/22869-guthrie-govan-new-approaches?page=2 (sorry, I'm studying humanities in Cambridge [UK] and hence am technological ignoramus and don't know how to do hyperlinks. My Latin prof still used typewritten handouts three years ago.)

Have you noticed his HSS Charvel?
_________________
Pete
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
alexkhan



Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Posts: 2783
Location: Chino, CA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Back from A Hiatus... Reply with quote

petros wrote:


It's here: http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/22869-guthrie-govan-new-approaches?page=2 (sorry, I'm studying humanities in Cambridge [UK] and hence am technological ignoramus and don't know how to do hyperlinks. My Latin prof still used typewritten handouts three years ago.)

Have you noticed his HSS Charvel?


Thanks for the link. Yup, I had heard about a possible collaboration with Squarepusher for a while but I guess it'll finally happen someday soon.

Yes, I was aware of the HSS Charvel for a while as well before he took it out on the road. As I mentioned before, he's become very fond of using the neck single-coil on Fender Strats and the Charvel SSS Strat prototype so I think this makes perfect sense. Not sure if this prototype will ever become a production model...
_________________
Ed Yoon
Certified Guthrie Fan-atic
BOING Music LLC - Managing Partner
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
petros



Joined: 26 Feb 2015
Posts: 77
Location: Cambridge, UK

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Back from A Hiatus... Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:


Yes, I was aware of the HSS Charvel for a while as well before he took it out on the road. As I mentioned before, he's become very fond of using the neck single-coil on Fender Strats and the Charvel SSS Strat prototype so I think this makes perfect sense. Not sure if this prototype will ever become a production model...


Do you know what wood the body is?
_________________
Pete
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
alexkhan



Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Posts: 2783
Location: Chino, CA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Back from A Hiatus... Reply with quote

petros wrote:
alexkhan wrote:


Yes, I was aware of the HSS Charvel for a while as well before he took it out on the road. As I mentioned before, he's become very fond of using the neck single-coil on Fender Strats and the Charvel SSS Strat prototype so I think this makes perfect sense. Not sure if this prototype will ever become a production model...


Do you know what wood the body is?


Swamp Ash - baked, cooked, roasted, toasted and all that good heat-treating stuff. Wink
_________________
Ed Yoon
Certified Guthrie Fan-atic
BOING Music LLC - Managing Partner
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
alexkhan



Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Posts: 2783
Location: Chino, CA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are interested, here's an interview that Ola Strandberg and I did for a site called Creative Live. It provides some insight into what Ola and I are up to and where we are headed with .strandberg* Guitars. A little Guthrie content in there too. Wink

http://blog.creativelive.com/invent-grow-scale-an-interview-with-ola-strandberg-ed-yoon/
_________________
Ed Yoon
Certified Guthrie Fan-atic
BOING Music LLC - Managing Partner
.strandberg* Guitars USA
Ed Yoon Consulting & Management
Guitar Center Inc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
petros



Joined: 26 Feb 2015
Posts: 77
Location: Cambridge, UK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexkhan wrote:
For those who are interested, here's an interview that Ola Strandberg and I did for a site called Creative Live. It provides some insight into what Ola and I are up to and where we are headed with .strandberg* Guitars. A little Guthrie content in there too. Wink

http://blog.creativelive.com/invent-grow-scale-an-interview-with-ola-strandberg-ed-yoon/


Thanks for sharing this, Ed. Looks wonderful. Best of luck and many blessings on your endeavours!

On a rather unrelated note, I still have faint hopes to see/hear The Tres Caballeros in some sort of recorded live format Smile
_________________
Pete
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group