Guthrie Govan Discussion :: View topic - New Caramelized Ash signature.
Help support this site by shopping at Amazon through our link.
Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index

Guthrie Govan Discussion
The Official Guthrie Govan Discussion Board

www.GuthrieGovan.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Caramelized Ash signature.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordragon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: New Caramelized Ash signature. Reply with quote

Guthrie has a new signature guitar: it is a variation on the old Charvel model, now with a roasted swamp ash body and a "single coil simulation circuit" (i guess it is just a passive mid cut). I like it more than the maple topped version, I would buy it if it had the Gotoh bridge with bent saddles (like the Charvel koa prototype).

http://www.charvel.com/guitars/artist/guthrie-govan-signature-hsh-caramelized-ash-caramelized-flame-maple-fingerboard-natural/
DLM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, and there it is! I'd heard the NAMM rumours. Gorgeous looking instrument. Now if only I could get it with a conventional double-locking system...
petros

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New Caramelized Ash signature. Reply with quote

doctordragon wrote:
Guthrie has a new signature guitar: it is a variation on the old Charvel model, now with a roasted swamp ash body and a "single coil simulation circuit" (i guess it is just a passive mid cut). I like it more than the maple topped version, I would buy it if it had the Gotoh bridge with bent saddles (like the Charvel koa prototype).

http://www.charvel.com/guitars/artist/guthrie-govan-signature-hsh-caramelized-ash-caramelized-flame-maple-fingerboard-natural/

Three brief observations. Firstly, the flame-maple version has been updated accordingly and retained, while the birdseye-maple model seems to have been discontinued (I personally like the BEM version better).

Secondly the prices are $1,000 lower than the old signature. Not sure what that means.

And finally, the updated model is called Guthrie Govan Signature 'HSH'. Of course, the previous version, too, was HSH but it was never part of the official title. Is this renaming hinting at the fact that there will be other configurations in the future? Guthrie has tested HSS during the Aristocrats Asia tour so it wouldn't surprise me but who knows.
doctordragon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked a few websites: unfortunately it looks like the street price difference here in Europe will only be 300-400 Euros.

I don't know if there will ever be an SSH model now that a "single coil simulation circuit" is a standard feature.
petros

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doctordragon wrote:
I checked a few websites: unfortunately it looks like the street price difference here in Europe will only be 300-400 Euros.

I don't know if there will ever be an SSH model now that a "single coil simulation circuit" is a standard feature.

You may be right, but he was testing an HSS model in the summer, so it wouldn't surprise me. Or maybe a downright SSS model? Smile It did strike me though that 'HSH' became a part of the official title of the latest offering.
JohnnyFavorite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New Caramelized Ash signature. Reply with quote

doctordragon wrote:
"single coil simulation circuit" (i guess it is just a passive mid cut)

I don't know how they do it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has the same circuit as the Jazzmaster he was using with Steven Wilson:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv753X9q_x0&t=5m58s
doctordragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally forgot about that Jazzmaster. No hum and no volume drop make me think it is a circuit similar to how Gibson/PRS split their pickups.
tosiriesa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would this ash version differ from the basswood body/maple top version sonically?
Tubedriver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the Ash Guthrie at NAMM last month. Though not through an amp, it felt and played noticeably better than the maple cap model. I own a Suhr Guthrie, so I was super curious. The Floyd trem felt really good. However, I do prefer my Suhr at this point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Guthrie Govan Discussion Forum Index -> Guthrie Tones and Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: